Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSlick BF / CM 2023 deal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSlick BF / CM 2023 deal

I purchased what appeared a great deal with @HostSlick via the Megathread on Cyber Monday.

4 vCore - AMD EPYC 7402P,4GB,1TB HDD,10TB B/W @ 1Gb,Netherlands, 35€ / year

The VM was deployed after a couple of hours which considering it was so busy I thought was absolutely fine.
I went ahead and did my standard install of Proxmox which although a little slow worked fine.
The following day I started to notice enormous IO delay spikes going over 60 in proxmox.
Using top WA was regularly spiking with minimum CPU usage.
I reluctantly opened a ticket on Tuesday as I knew the deal was low cost and HostSlick would likely be busy. To be fair I got a response back within 2 hours.
HostSlick kindly offered a refund or they could access the server and see if they could resolve the issue. I granted permission as there was nothing secret / illegal etc. and we both wanted a working server.
Hostslick did come back saying the problem was more complicated and they had no spare node available so offered a refund.
I accepted the refund and also said they could take a handling fee as they were paying paypal transaction charges etc. They refunded all 35€ and the money was back in my account within minutes.

So overall I would say Maximilian at HostSlick handled the entire situation professionally. I could have been a very upset customer and had a great rant. But I know things can and do go wrong, I hope I was polite and understanding and the same applied from HostSlick.

Comments

• I <3 Maximilian

Thanked by 1kait
  • I <3 Maximilian

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@kait said:
    I <3 Maximilian

I don't like Maximilian for things like that sometimes happen.

But lets do this things better next year when we build our CEPH-Cluster. Instead of having spining HDs on local single nodes.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Just curious, are you using Proxmox to deploy VM's or LXC containers?

4 GB memory may be not be sufficient for VM's though and nested virt would slow it down even further.

• @rattlecattle - LXC containers, 4GB is fine.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@msatt said:
    @rattlecattle - LXC containers, 4GB is fine.

LXC is as light as OpenVZ: I remember in 2018 i have hosted some OpenVZ VPS inside a KVM VPS which had 50% of node resources

• rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited November 2023

Right. For containers 4 GB is fine.

My personal preference is LXD instead of LXC.