Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the available options to add additional storage on a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the available options to add additional storage on a VPS?

I have seen VPS with very small OS disks. Apart from the obvious options like additional storage from the provider itself, what are the other options?

One I found was and successfully implemented is, s3 buckets mounted using rclone mount, s3fs etc. I am yet to test the read/write performance for my jellyfin server.

Comments

• Unless there is some specific addon mounting some remote storage will probably be your only option. Besides the distributed file systems there isn't to many options which all have a couple pros here and a couple cons there. In any case performance will mostly depend on your connection and route to wherever your storage is located.

Thanked by 1Vagabond1383
  • sshfs with a symlink works too, but i make some stupid dipshit choices. take it with grain alcohol

Thanked by 1Vagabond1383
  • sshfs is definitely a good option too

Thanked by 1Vagabond1383
  • What i do sometimes is mount a cifs share and put a raw diskimage on it, which is then formated using a filesystem of choice and mounted using loopback. Basically a way to avoid the annoyances caused by cifs not having a clue about users or permissions.

I am not sure how well that would work over WAN though and given that afaik Linux doesn't support encryption for cifs's network communication yet, it might be needed to wrap the connection in a vpn tunnel (maybe using disk encryption for the image might be enough to keep the data safe but i guess i wouldn't sleep all that well relying on this assumption).

Thanked by 1Vagabond1383