Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAS experts come in!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAS experts come in!

bustersgbustersg Member
edited November 2023 in Help
  • 2x2TB degraded Crucial MX500 in raid 1 in 2-bay NAS (spent $ data recovery)
  • purchased 1x2TB WD Red+ because sent 1 MX500 for RMA
  • found out synology cannot mix SSD + HDD in same storage pool

I can't decide if i .. (321 backup with iDrive e2)
1. buy another WD Red+ and keep the 2xSSD idling or sell them off
2. buy another SSD and keep the WD Red+ and RMA SSD idling or sell off
3. Wait for RMA SSD to come back, use SSD in NAS and keep the WD Red+ idling or sell off

Comments

• Raid is not backup!
    You could just use the single SSD for speedy access then sync data with HDD. Ideally, put some form of file versioning on the HDD as well.

• @hades_corps said:
    Raid is not backup!
    You could just use the single SSD for speedy access then sync data with HDD. Ideally, put some form of file versioning on the HDD as well.

I wll subscribe idrive e2 but juz cant decide to use ssd or hdd in nas

• I mean, you already bought the SSD so just use it as main NAS storage. That way the seek time is minimal.

Then in some way sync data onto the HDD.

Thanked by 1bustersg
  • bustersgbustersg Member
    edited November 2023

i bought a 2nd wd red+ and now using 2x2tb red+ in synology shr1.
    reason being is easier to repurpose the 2x2tb MX500 SSD vs 3.5" HDD (if the RMA SSD come back 1-for-1 sealed, easy for me to sell off)
    also other commented mostly over house 1gb ethernet ~125mb/s
    which will bottleneck wd red+ 210mb/s

• edited November 2023

@bustersg said: which will bottleneck wd red+ 210mb/s

That claimed max speed is for the drive range. The smaller units (IIRC up to 4T) have less dense platters so for the same rotational speed will have a lower maximum data rate.

Also, you'll get ~⅓ the rate at the inner end of the disk due to variable sectors/track zoning. And if you have concurrent access, rates will fall dramatically.

So there may well be circumstances when those drives are the bottleneck, rather than your network throughput.

• @bustersg said:

That's not how HDD works. That's max speed when the drive is empty and your file is stored continuously. As you fill it up and edit the files, it will become fragmented and the read head has to move back and forth to read the file(s) and it will slow right down. Especially when you are trying to read multiple files.
    Also if you have several small files then it will be terrible as the drive also needs to go back and look at the index.
    Also, also, if you need to search for file content then I hope you have plenty of patience.

Ideally you should have an SSD/NVME to cache/index your HDDs array but since you bought a 2-bay NAS and its proprietary software. Using the SSD is your best option.

edited November 2023

i still dont quite understand the true benefits of having 2x2tb crucial mx500 ssd VS 2x2tb wd red+ 5400rpm as raid 1 in my synology 2-bay 223j

if ssd > hdd, then i shall swap both hdd for ssd when my RMA ssd returns to me.

@hades_corps said:

@bustersg said:

That's not how HDD works. That's max speed when the drive is empty and your file is stored continuously. As you fill it up and edit the files, it will become fragmented and the read head has to move back and forth to read the file(s) and it will slow right down. Especially when you are trying to read multiple files.
    Also if you have several small files then it will be terrible as the drive also needs to go back and look at the index.
    Also, also, if you need to search for file content then I hope you have plenty of patience.

Ideally you should have an SSD/NVME to cache/index your HDDs array but since you bought a 2-bay NAS and its proprietary software. Using the SSD is your best option.

• @bustersg said:
    i still dont quite understand the true benefits of having 2x2tb crucial mx500 ssd VS 2x2tb wd red+ 5400rpm as raid 1 in my synology 2-bay 223j

I see the misunderstanding now. To clarify myself, I mean:
    A. Don't spend more money just use the drives you already got.
    B. Don't use RAID1, infact, don't use RAID at all.
    C. First install the SSD and share it as single drive. Synology should give you the choises of partition types, just pick one that fit your main OS (NTFS for windows and Ext4 for Linux).
    D. Once that done, install the HDD and share it as single drive as well. The setup should be the same as SSD.
    E. Use the SSD share as your day-to-day NAS folder. Then at night or low hours sync data from SSD share -> HDD share.

If your use case include one of these, SSD should be the first choise:
    1. Multiple devices/people have access at the same time (eg. watching movies on TV while PC still accessing it,... )
    2. You have multiple small files that need access (portable apps, git hub projects, etc...)

Thanked by 1bustersg
    edited November 2023

oh i see, i went google, need create rsync task to sync vol_1 and vol_2.
    If i only i grasp YOUR idea sooner, i already bought a 2nd HDD and running in RAID1 now.
    Good solution indeed. 1HDD+1SDD in 2 diff vol and rsync daily! which in some way also fulfil the 321 backup using diff media type

@hades_corps said:

@bustersg said:

I see the misunderstanding now. To clarify myself, I mean:
    A. Don't spend more money just use the drives you already got.
    B. Don't use RAID1, infact, don't use RAID at all.
    C. First install the SSD and share it as single drive. Synology should give you the choises of partition types, just pick one that fit your main OS (NTFS for windows and Ext4 for Linux).
    D. Once that done, install the HDD and share it as single drive as well. The setup should be the same as SSD.
    E. Use the SSD share as your day-to-day NAS folder. Then at night or low hours sync data from SSD share -> HDD share.

If your use case include one of these, SSD should be the first choise:
    1. Multiple devices/people have access at the same time (eg. watching movies on TV while PC still accessing it,... )
    2. You have multiple small files that need access (portable apps, git hub projects, etc...)

• @bustersg said:
    oh i see, i went google, need create rsync task to sync vol_1 and vol_2.
    If i only i grasp YOUR idea sooner, i already bought a 2nd HDD and running in RAID1 now.
    Good solution indeed. 1HDD+1SDD in 2 diff vol and rsync daily! which in some way also fulfil the 321 backup using diff media type

321 is only half the equation though, what you also need to think about is recovery plan when disaster strike. Sharing the disk with a format you can read directly from your PC will save you days/weeks if there is something wrong with the Synology itself.

edited December 2023

@hades_corps
    ok u convinced me, i tearing down my 2xHDD RAID1 (SHR1)
    i read a few articles rsync vs raid1. many claims rsync is the true backup method over raid1.

1. what i plan is to create 2 volume in 223j
    2. rsync vol1 to vol2 3am daily or once a week (so ample time to recover from deletion)
    3. i will format both HDD in NTFS since i use windows only
    4. what i may NOT do is put Disk0:MX500SSD and Disk1:WD Red+ because I feel MX500 in NAS is a waste vs having a chance to deploy MX500 in a PC/laptop itself or a type-C hdd enclosure as external hd. some also mentioned NAS will wear down a SSD quicker.

what do you think? of coz, lastly add idrive e2 as remote backup.

edited December 2023

'basic' RAID (or JBOD but useless for 2-bay NAS)
    'btrfs' file system (other ext4 is linux based but i can use 3rd party btrfs driver for windows)
    rsync -zavh /volume1/shared1 /volume2

:)

• @bustersg said:
    @hades_corps
    ok u convinced me, i tearing down my 2xHDD RAID1 (SHR1)
    i read a few articles rsync vs raid1. many claims rsync is the true backup method over raid1.

1. what i plan is to create 2 volume in 223j
    2. rsync vol1 to vol2 3am daily or once a week (so ample time to recover from deletion)
    3. i will format both HDD in NTFS since i use windows only
    4. what i may NOT do is put Disk0:MX500SSD and Disk1:WD Red+ because I feel MX500 in NAS is a waste vs having a chance to deploy MX500 in a PC/laptop itself or a type-C hdd enclosure as external hd. some also mentioned NAS will wear down a SSD quicker.

what do you think? of coz, lastly add idrive e2 as remote backup.

That's a sound plan.

some also mentioned NAS will wear down a SSD quicker.

I've never heard about this. I think that user has some confusion about NAS/Hardware RAID/ZFS (software RAID). ZFS continuously verifies written data so it will wear down consumer SSD much sooner, however this also depends on how much of the disk is used. I'm using a normal SSD in my ZFS but as I only utilize ~30%, the current estimate is I will have 3-4 years total lifespan. By then my business should accumulate enough money for a more "proper"setup. But I'm not an expert, and somehow everyone is hungover after Thanksgiving, you are stuck with me instead.

Disclaimer: I don't even work in IT but years ago I was young and poor so I also used a ready made device. I used RAID5 and all was well until I had to RMA the Buffalo NAS. Next month I have no access to any data since you can't just plug hardware RAID disk(s) in and read it. Even when it's back I clicked a wrong button and wiped 1 HDD, the remaining still enough to resilver the array so it's Ok. After a while, movies on my NAS folder started to jump and hiccup. That's when I found out the hard way that hardware RAID assumes the controller realizes HDDs are failing before HDDs actually fail. If the drive(s) start having issues but not enough to trip SMART then RAID will copy corrupted data all overs.

Luckily I did not have to pay for recovery but I had to make do with lower-res pictures from my backup. From that moment on I made sure:
    A. Every single disk fails. I should still be able to work. (no downtime)
    B. If a cluster fails I still have access to a backup (either shared NAS or put in a USB box and plug it in). (few minutes/hours downtime)
    C. If everything fails I still have an off-site backup, buy a cheap laptop and pick it up. (few hours to a day max)

@bustersg said:
    'basic' RAID (or JBOD but useless for 2-bay NAS)
    'btrfs' file system (other ext4 is linux based but i can use 3rd party btrfs driver for windows)

JBOD is a bad idea unless it's CEPH. But I'll be years until I have a use case for it, so I have not learnt much yet.
    I don't have enough knowledge regarding Btrfs. I know that some professionals standby it but since I use Proxmox and they have not recommended it yet, I have not touched it so far. I know that Btrfs allows resizing data arrays so I'm looking forward to it.

edited December 2023

when creating a storage volume which requires format of disk, radio options are only btrfs (recommended by Synology) or ext4. Going to setup rsync as scheduled task and buy idrive e2 subscrption later today. Plus am going to write a article on all these info and my bad and good experience with NAS on my wordpress blog! Thanks @hades_corps

• @bustersg said:
    when creating a storage volume which requires format of disk, radio options are only btrfs (recommended by Synology) or ext4. Going to setup rsync as scheduled task and buy idrive e2 subscrption later today. Plus am going to write a article on all these info and my bad and good experience with NAS on my wordpress blog! Thanks @hades_corps

Well, if they recommended it then go ahead.
    You can anonymously include my experience as well if you'd like.