Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Anycast DNS Work! How to setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How Anycast DNS Work! How to setup

I saw some providers are offering AnyCast dns.

Whats the main reason to use Anycast dns? is it help to improve performance?

How can i setup AnyCast DNS? Can we use vps for anycast dns?

Can anyone help to setup or any other options available.

I saw Hostinger hosting show multiple ips according to location. If someone open website in Asian Country, It show Indian/singapore ip.
It boost the website speed.

I am looking for the same.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@c_vps said: Whats the main reason to use Anycast dns? is it help to improve performance?

Lower latencies when resolving domain name

@c_vps said: How can i setup AnyCast DNS? Can we use vps for anycast dns?

You need own prefix (/24 for IPv4, /48 for IPv6), announce them from different PoPs (locations) using BGP. Also you will need to have own ASN and use networks that are directly connected to Tier1 ISPs otherwise you will be in trouble

• @tentor said:

@c_vps said: Whats the main reason to use Anycast dns? is it help to improve performance?

Should we have to setup it? Or any other way

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

Just stick with Cloudflare/BunnyCDN or anyone else. I see no reason for you to implement own Anycast DNS at early stages of your business

• @c_vps said:

@tentor said:

If you have lot of money to sink for setup it , else use Cloudflare , OVH , etc

• @tentor said:

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

Just stick with Cloudflare/BunnyCDN or anyone else. I see no reason for you to implement own Anycast DNS at early stages of your business

How its work? same like as hostinger doing.
    How can we provide it to client.

• @kenjing789 said:

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

If you have lot of money to sink for setup it , else use Cloudflare , OVH , etc

Which one is best. OVH/Cloudflare/Bunny.
    How we will use it.

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

How its work? same like as hostinger doing.
    How can we provide it to client.

Use their APIs to integrate into your service panel

edited November 2023

@c_vps said: Which one is best. OVH/Cloudflare/Bunny.
    How we will use it.

Depends on you. Cloudflare has the biggest network and you can use it for free, but when it breaks... it breaks :sweat_smile:

• @tentor said:

How we will use it.

Depends on you. Cloudflare has the biggest network and you can use it for free, but when it breaks... it breaks :sweat_smile:

I want to go with premium service.

• @tentor said:

How we will use it.

The others don't break?

@josephf said: The others don't break?

Everyone has downtimes, however CF is now at the point of too big to fail

• Just use Cloudflare DNS or Bunny DNS.

• @tentor said:

@josephf said: The others don't break?

Everyone has downtimes, however CF is now at the point of too big to fail

Too big too fail = sorry we messed up bgp, electricty and our homemade carrots?

Thanked by 1kait
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Yes, you can provide it to your customers. You have multiple options:
    1. use Rage4 DNS via our control panel (very simple), we offer anycast and all other goodies such as DNSSEC and white-label (you can use your own NS names)
    2. use Rage4 DNS via our API (slightly harder) - there are also some modules for cPanel and other control panels
    3. use Rage4's AnycastIP (hard) - apply anycast on top of your own vps/cloud setup, and run your own DNS

If you have any questions feel free to DM me

@shruub said: Too big too fail = sorry we messed up bgp, electricty and our homemade carrots?

I am referring to downtime consequences, not the cause. However I got your point and agreeing with it as well.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @COLBYLICIOUS said:
    Just use Cloudflare DNS or Bunny DNS.

For what?

• @josephf said:

@COLBYLICIOUS said:
    Just use Cloudflare DNS or Bunny DNS.

For what?

To have an Anycast DNS for your websites?

• If you want to set it up, cheapest is going with BuyVM/Frantech and get 3 vps's, they have a nice anycast service (won't have asia, only 2 USA and 1 Europe)

• @kait said:
    If you want to set it up, cheapest is going with BuyVM/Frantech and get 3 vps's, they have a nice anycast service (won't have asia, only 2 USA and 1 Europe)

Isn't it 4 now?

• @kait said:
    If you want to set it up, cheapest is going with BuyVM/Frantech and get 3 vps's, they have a nice anycast service (won't have asia, only 2 USA and 1 Europe)

Looking for asia and Europe.

• @gbshouse as I understand correctly. Rage4 will give me an IP address then I will use it as official address, right? After that, depending on the users' location Rage4 routes traffic to my nearest server to solve response. At any ports?

• @kait said:

How is he the cheapest?

• @josephf said: How is he the cheapest?

You don't have to get a whole /24 for your own anycast as for his anycast service he anycasts a /24 for you.

• @marcopolio said: Isn't it 4 now?

idk, he has 4 locations so I guess so.

• gaminggaming Member
    edited November 2023

@c_vps said:

@tentor said:

How we will use it.

I want to go with premium service.

Seems like you're new to this, go CF, Bunny or whatever, it's good enough.
    Don't listen to them saying "build your own" (just start easy, as you gain skills at some point in future you'll be able to build your own)

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS

@kainjinez yes, we provide you the anycast routing on top of our network (we use exactly the same network for our DNS service). You are free to use any locations as you want, we also support ECMP so you can have multiple servers per location. Currently we charge only for IPv4, IPv6 is free (but hurry up as we are going to change it next year). Connection is simple 1-2-3: 1. setup via our control panel, 2. establish secure tunnel(s) 3. setup the BGP session(s). To be fair - we do not provide the DDoS protection for shared networks, in case of attack we will null-route your anycast address.

Thanked by 1kainjinez

@gbshouse said: IPv6 is free (but hurry up as we are going to change it next year)

Why would you bill IPv6?

@tentor we plan to increase the free traffic allowance to 1TB+, the IPv6 will be something 1-2€/month. We need to do it to get rid of abusers.

@gbshouse said:
    @tentor we plan to increase the free traffic allowance to 1TB+, the IPv6 will be something 1-2€/month. We need to do it to get rid of abusers.

Why don't you bill traffic as usual? I see no reason for billing IPv6 addresses (well as long as you don't provide enormous blocks like /48 and shorter)