Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems with attachments with MXRoute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Problems with attachments with MXRoute

For @jar and anyone who could help.

I have set a cronjob to email something as attachment to my email, daily. The first few emails were fine, but now no more emails are received from my server unless I remove the attachment. The destination email is a Gmail address. Any ideas?

Comments

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited November 2023

What do your logs say?

In Directadmin

Email Manager -> Email Accounts -> then under the SMTP Log column, click "in/out" to view.

• @Don_Keedic said:
    What do your logs say?

That the email was delivered, and so does the MXRoute control panel. But without attachment the same emails reach my Gmail inbox just fine. With the attachment, they don't show up anywhere, not even in spam. If the scripts send the email with the attachment to an MXroute mailbox of mine, I get the email and the attachments just fine.

• I'm not sure what your attachment type is - have you tried sending just a plain .txt as an attachment by chance?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • Srysly.. does every Google search or support ticket need to end up in new thread on forum ?

• What kind of file?

Sometimes gmail is false positive to different attachments. Attachments may contain something like liks or similar that triggers this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well an email attachment is just part of the body of a message. We don’t alter message body, so if we send it without the attachment then that means that’s what our SMTP server received. Hopefully that at least helps to narrow it down.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you are sending to your own Gmail, it's best to connect to Gmail IMAP server and authenticate as yourself and then send to yourself.
    MXroute shall be used only after Google deadpools.

• @Don_Keedic said:
    I'm not sure what your attachment type is - have you tried sending just a plain .txt as an attachment by chance?

@tsoft said:
    What kind of file?

Sometimes gmail is false positive to different attachments. Attachments may contain something like liks or similar that triggers this.

Funny thing, a regular text file works. The attachment I am sending is a just a gzipped tar with some files.

@jar said:
    Well an email attachment is just part of the body of a message. We don’t alter message body, so if we send it without the attachment then that means that’s what our SMTP server received. Hopefully that at least helps to narrow it down.

The weird thing is that Gmail doesn't even flag it as spam or something. It just doesn't show the email at all.

@yoursunny said:
    If you are sending to your own Gmail, it's best to connect to Gmail IMAP server and authenticate as yourself and then send to yourself.

Oh that's a good idea! I hadn't thought of sending it directly with Gmail. Will try that next!

@amarc said:
    Srysly.. does every Google search or support ticket need to end up in new thread on forum ?

Srysly, why do you bother posting such useless and unhelpful comments?

• @vitobotta said: Srysly, why do you bother posting such useless and unhelpful comments?

Look at this sh*t man: https://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/vitobotta

average seems to be every 2 days new thread. 85% of them being easily either answered by Google/ChatGPT/provider's support or just could end up being kept to yourself.

I mean, I have 9 discussions vs 160 of yours and you joined 7 years after me.

In general, I do not care, but please consider opening single topic just for yourself (and your fans) with all questions/answers/personal issues/etc..

• @amarc said:

@vitobotta said: Srysly, why do you bother posting such useless and unhelpful comments?

average seems to be every 2 days new thread. 85% of them being easily either answered by Google/ChatGPT/provider's support or just could end up being kept to yourself.

In general, I do not care, but please consider opening single topic just for yourself (and your fans) with all questions/answers/personal issues/etc..

Who sucked the jam out of your donut?

• @yoursunny said:

I tried with Gmail's own SMTP and I see the emails in the inbox so it's progress, but I cannot download the attachment because it thinks it "contains a virus or blocked file", which doesn't make any sense. I even checked with VirusTotal out of curiosity and it comes clean. I'll see if there is some specific file extension or something that can trigger this.

• @yoursunny it's working now with Gmail's SMTP. Thanks for the suggestion!

@vitobotta said:
    @yoursunny it's working now with Gmail's SMTP. Thanks for the suggestion!

That implies that there’s something wrong with mine but I know there isn’t relative to this topic. Feel free to reach out if you’d like me to do a log audit of something.

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:

That implies that there’s something wrong with mine but I know there isn’t relative to this topic. Feel free to reach out if you’d like me to do a log audit of something.

No, nothing wrong with your service. I tested now again and I got 3 emails in Gmail even when sent via MXRoute. There's something funky with Gmail at this point

Thanked by 1jar
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said:

@jar said:

@vitobotta said:

No, nothing wrong with your service. I tested now again and I got 3 emails in Gmail even when sent via MXRoute. There's something funky with Gmail at this point

One thing that came to mind is message IDs. Sending via their SMTP might overwrite a message ID while ours would pass on any given by the client, and Gmail will sometimes accept an email but not display it if the message ID matches an email already in the inbox. Long shot but not entirely unprecedented.

• @amarc said:

@vitobotta said: Srysly, why do you bother posting such useless and unhelpful comments?

It does get a little irritating, like the incessant racknerd posts awhile back. Dustin has seemed to rein those in, while still remaining visible. But yeah, I made a similar comment back in March '22 - but to put a nice spin on it, it's admirable that he has made time (out of his work and social life) to make so many posts and respond to them!

• People still use Gmail?

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • False positive to file. Happens sometimes.

When you send, error will contain BlockedMessage and you get hard bounce.

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:

@jar said:

@vitobotta said:

One thing that came to mind is message IDs. Sending via their SMTP might overwrite a message ID while ours would pass on any given by the client, and Gmail will sometimes accept an email but not display it if the message ID matches an email already in the inbox. Long shot but not entirely unprecedented.

It's weird though that for a few attempts to use their SMTP it gave me errors due to the antivirus. Boh. It's working now.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @scooke said:

@amarc said:

It does get a little irritating, like the incessant racknerd posts awhile back. Dustin has seemed to rein those in, while still remaining visible. But yeah, I made a similar comment back in March '22 - but to put a nice spin on it, it's admirable that he has made time (out of his work and social life) to make so many posts and respond to them!

A lot of his posts end up being interesting reads, so I guess I tolerate them a little more than most people here. Are all the "comment X below to enter giveaway" posts really any better?

• @scooke said:

@amarc said:

If you are referring to my posts, what exactly is "a little irritating" about them? This is a forum, and as such I start discussions I am interested in and think others might also be interested in, or because I need some help and think someone here might be able to. What's wrong with this? Is there a list of what topics are allowed here? What I find irritating is people who attack others and take the time to just annoy them and post on their threads without offering any useful and constructive comment to the discussion. What's the point?

• @amarc said:

Ppl like @vitobotta add a lot of value to this forum. I learn a lot by following his threads in fact they are very interesting reads. I bookmarked the last thread he made about self hosting apps bcoz i am planning to try most of the listed ones out. I am grateful for members like him bcoz lowendtalk is not only suppose to be about offers.

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said:
    If you are referring to my posts, what exactly is "a little irritating" about them?

I think what they're trying to convey is when a company's name is attached, it's a little irritating. When it's a general question, e.g. : "I'm having trouble with my SMTP and Gmail" and then you mention your setup involves MXRoute I don't believe they would have found it "a little irritating" but when you said "Problems with attachments WITH MXROUTE" - that is basically obligating @jar to respond so he doesn't look like an ass to people who may be browsing.

Does that make sense?

One situation involves general input from anyone who cares to comment whereas the second situation is kinda putting @jar on the spot and would probably be more suited for a ticket that a forum topic.

• Asked chatgpt, nothing about false positive.
    So valid question.
    As for person, very good, great development for k8s in hetzner cloud.

If your emails are successfully sent and received via Gmail without attachments but fail to deliver when you include a file, there could be several reasons for this issue:

1. Attachment Size: Gmail has a size limit for attachments. If your total email size, including the file, exceeds 25 MB, Gmail will not send it. For larger files, consider using Google Drive or another cloud service and share the link in the email.

2. File Type Restrictions: Gmail blocks certain types of files, especially executable files (like .exe) or files that it deems unsafe. Check if the file type you're trying to send is allowed.

3. Spam Filters: Sometimes, including an attachment, especially from an unknown sender, might trigger spam filters. The recipient's email server might be marking your email as spam.

4. Email Client Issues: If you are using an email client (like Outlook or Apple Mail) to send emails with attachments through Gmail, there might be issues with the email client itself.

5. Network Restrictions: Some networks, especially corporate or public Wi-Fi, may have restrictions on sending large files or certain types of attachments.

6. Server Issues: Rarely, there could be an issue with Gmail's servers, although this is less likely if other emails are going through fine.

7. Incorrect Email Address: Double-check the recipient's email address for typos. An incorrect address can lead to failed delivery.

To troubleshoot:

• Try sending a different file type or a smaller file to check if the issue is with the specific file or size.
    • Check your "Sent" folder to see if the email appears there. If it's there, but the recipient didn't receive it, they should check their Spam or Junk folder.
    • If using a third-party email client, try sending directly from the Gmail web interface.
    • Review any error messages you might receive, as they can often provide more insight into the problem.

If none of these steps resolve your issue, you may need to seek further assistance from Gmail Support.

• @tsoft said: As for person, very good, great development for k8s in hetzner cloud.

Yet, there is thread: "Looking for a small, cheap VPS just for Uptime Kuma. 1 core, a couple of GB of RAM"

Seems logical one would use Hetzner and be done with it in 2 minutes, no ?

• If someone is irritated by a topic, he can choose to ignore and not open it.

Thanked by 2raza19 OhJohn
  • Thank you @vitobotta for

@amarc said: Seems logical one would use Hetzner and be done with it in 2 minutes, no ?

I would suggest something different for him like natvps.uk vps or pikapods and personally I think they are FAQ and very helpful for others here.

• @josephf said:
    If someone is irritated by a topic, he can choose to ignore and not open it.

It works with uBlock Origin :D

lowendtalk.com##li.ItemDiscussion:has(a[title='__username__'])

Thanked by 2loay ScreenReader
  • @amarc said:

@tsoft said: As for person, very good, great development for k8s in hetzner cloud.

Yet, there is thread: "Looking for a small, cheap VPS just for Uptime Kuma. 1 core, a couple of GB of RAM"

Seems logical one would use Hetzner and be done with it in 2 minutes, no ?

Why would you run your monitoring stack on the same provider you run prod on? That's just silly.

• @vitobotta said:

@yoursunny said:

I tried with Gmail's own SMTP and I see the emails in the inbox so it's progress, but I cannot download the attachment because it thinks it "contains a virus or blocked file", which doesn't make any sense. I even checked with VirusTotal out of curiosity and it comes clean. I'll see if there is some specific file extension or something that can trigger this.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en#zippy=,messages-that-have-attachments

Is your gmail account new? Most gmail users would have ran into this attachment limitation a decade ago. I mean, you tell us gmail explicitly told you the problem and that you'd search that problem. So maybe people like amarc are wondering why your google search to resolve this yourself didn't run into something like this before (so it comes off like you're not trying before asking for help).

Don't you have a bunch of self hosted methods to transfer files besides emails?