Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Dedicated Dual Xeons L5639 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Dedicated Dual Xeons L5639

2»

Comments

• siderniksidernik Member
    edited December 2013

bitcoin mining isn't worth it unless you have an asic operation going on, altcoins are still very profitable though if you have ati gpu's. there are mining pools that automatically switch to the most profitable coin at the point. as for the servers, i have picked up a couple dual l5639 for $70/mo each, pretty good deal considering it has almost on par performance with e5-2620 and at less than half the price.

• @Jupiter said:

@jbiloh said:
    I just can't figure out how they are making money.

Butterflylabs has very controversial business ethics.

I ordered their first line of ASIC miners ($170~ after shipping for 5GH/s) in Feburary 2013. They posted videos of them mining and working (calculator then said I could make it back in 18~ days at around almost 1BTC per week. This was also when BTC was worth $100, and difficulty was low).

They had no competitors, and promised to ship by April. Remember there are people who ordered in Sept 2012 who had not received anything yet. The date was pushed back 5-6 times and I finally received mine in October (6 months after expected, 7-8 months after I ordered).

They said they had "issues" with production, but it is widely believed that they did not start shipping until they had competitors (ASICMiner and other companies were opening orders and shipping machines within the month), until they finally started shipping. Since they were one of the first with the technology, they pre-mined with their hardware and got rich since nobody had fast & cheap miners yet. When other companies started shipping, the difficulty rose multiple folds, 5GH/s for Bitcoins became almost nothing, and they started shipping.

By the time I received it, it would've taken me 89 days to break even with $170 original order. And remember when I received it BTC had 10x more USD value than when I bought it, so it should've taken less time if I received it then.

tl;dr They have new technology, and make money by using the tech themselves, and once they become old tech they ship them out to consumers. So make money mining & then make money selling equipment thats no longer valuable

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited December 2013

jbiloh said: Thanks for the information. I can't see myself ever actively mining for bitcoins but it's very surprising to me that people are willing to rent servers that cost $500-$1000/month for mining. I just can't figure out how they are making money.

Me neither ...

• not looking anymore, thanks guys.

• If any> @concerto49 said:

Hi, we do have some 2xL5639 72GB RAM 1TB HDD 10TB @ 100mbit. $85/month. Informart Dallas.

Have a few around actually if anyone wants one.

• Once again, Servers are not being used to mine scrypts like litecoin or sha like bitcoins, they are used to mine cpu coins.... Look for primecoin (XPM) and Protoshares (PTS), and yes you can make a profit if a core cost less than $5 / month... 1 xpm is worth around $2.5, and 1 pts is worth around $12

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jonnathon and it is largely about speculation anyway, I would be happy to take the gamble and for it to cost me a small amount in the first 6 months - year while I generate a high volume of coins while the block is not too complex so they can be sold at a much higher profit rate later.

With that said how many could you buy for $2700 anyway right now rather than taking that cost for the next 6 months of mining :) I suspect you would be better off just buying them.

• Just managed to get only one 2xL5639...and it's OOS again....