Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripe only provider: Can Paypal be used to pay the invoice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripe only provider: Can Paypal be used to pay the invoice?

edited November 2023 in Help

So i have never bought anything on a site that only offers Stripe for payment and i am wondering if i can still pay using Paypal or if it's CC only? Could anyone enlighten me? I don't want to order just to find out that i can't pay.

Edit: Information on the web is confusing. Seems Paypal could be available as payment option but it's not guaranteed? Would i need to open a stripe account to be able to pay?

Comments

• I think it is CC only. Probably for fees. And you don't need a Stripe account.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • What's the difference to the end user/customer whether the merchant uses Stripe or any other credit card processor? In other words, why do customers need to know it is Stripe?

(This question has nothing to do with PayPal.)

• kainjinezkainjinez Member
    edited November 2023

@josephf said:
    What's the difference to the end user/customer whether the merchant uses Stripe or any other credit card processor? In other words, why do customers need to know it is Stripe?

(This question has nothing to do with PayPal.)

Stripe is quite popular and safe. I won't put my cc information on some processors I don't know about.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

PayPal is an option you can accept through Stripe. Stripe an be used to accept a variety of payment methods, including some national payments options.

Each of these options, including PayPal, requires an additional API module. I didn’t see one for PayPal on Stripe for any of the hosting platforms yet, so assume PayPal is not there. You’ll most likely need to pay by CC through Stripe - no account required.

• edited November 2023

@Clouvider said:
    Each of these options, including PayPal, requires an additional API module. I didn’t see one for PayPal on Stripe for any of the hosting platforms yet, so assume PayPal is not there. You’ll most likely need to pay by CC through Stripe - no account required.

Thanks a bunch! That pretty much cleared it up. I've looked into the billing solution used and it seems there is only "Stripe" (probably funds loaded onto Stripe itself) and "Stripe Sofort" so Paypal is likely out of the question. I guess i could pay with Sofort though but given all the other details i learned in the meantime about the host i'll probably just do the sensible thing and stay away.

Cannot “load funds into Stripe” - it doesn’t work like PayPal. They’re just a payment processor - no wallet functionality.

Sofort is a local, Euro-zone payment method that’s popular in some countries, https://stripe.com/docs/payments/sofort - to pay through sofort (with stripe or otherwise) you’d need to have a bank acc with the supported institution in these countries.

• edited November 2023

@Clouvider said:
    Cannot “load funds into Stripe” - it doesn’t work like PayPal. They’re just a payment processor - no wallet functionality.

Ah, you are right. I didn't realize those help pages describing how to add funds were ment for merchants. Still i'll take existence of "Stripe Sofort" and nothing specific otherwise as that there's only Sofort. The thing called "Stripe" is probably a general base or something like that. Admittedly that's kinda crystal balling the question but since i am now unlikely to buy anyways i don't feel like doing a ton of investigation anymore.

Sofort is a local, Euro-zone payment method that’s popular in some countries, https://stripe.com/docs/payments/sofort - to pay through sofort (with stripe or otherwise) you’d need to have a bank acc with the supported institution in these countries.

Yeah, i've had to use them a couple of times in the past. Not really my cup of tea (giving out banking logins should really be a huge "no-no" but oh well, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...) but they actually work surprisingly fine. Like i said before i've lost Interest in dealing with the hoster in question though. Well, at least unless they'll clear up some pretty strange circumstances, which i somewhat doubt.

If you become interested again then I suppose easiest way to find out how you could pay would be to speak with them direct :-). There might be options that are not quite advertised.

Good luck on your server hunting!

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2023

‏you should be able to pay with Google-Pay through Stripe and you don't need a Stripe account. ‏That's my experience at least.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you want to spend PayPal balance, you can request a PayPal debit card and use that on Stripe.
    https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/manage-money/paypal-debit-card

• YuzhenQinYuzhenQin Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said: PayPal is an option you can accept through Stripe.

Only available in EEA.

Thanked by 1Clouvider