Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What apps are you self hosting? Nov 2023 edition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What apps are you self hosting? Nov 2023 edition

I don't self host as much stuff as I used to before, but I am still doing it for these apps:

• Nextcloud (file sharing and syncing)
  • OnlyOffice (realtime collaborative office suite for Nextcloud)
  • Actual Budget (budgeting for personal finance)
  • BookStack (personal knowledge base/wiki)
  • Minio (object storage for my apps)
  • PicoShare (quick file sharing)
  • Planka (kanban project management which I use for my personal projects)
  • Serpbear (monitoring keywords on search engines for SEO)
  • Umami (web analytics)
  • Wallabag (saving articles similar to Instapaper)
  • Wastebin (sharing code snippets and temporary with password and expiration)
  • DynaSite (my blog/site publishing app, I should make it open source)
  • PostFactum (an app for retrospectives at work, I will make it open source)
  • Cluster Ninja (WIP, managed Kubernetes service on your own infra)

What about you? :)

Comments

• Adguardhome for adblocking.
    Technitium for my domain zone, plus xafr icann root zone. Adguardhome query technitium since it can't xafr ican root zone itself. Technitium can also act as adblock doesn't need adguardhome but its logview is terrible so i coupled both.
    Nginx for simple landing page in case recipient of my email checks the domain and only see blank error page.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • I actually have an Nextcloud instance on an 1TB storage server and some Wordpress sites.

• @vitobotta said:
    I don't self host as much stuff as I used to before, but I am still doing it for these apps:

• Umami (web analytics)

I remember from one of ur earlier posts that u were disappointed by nextcloud, is ur experience still the same ? Have u experimented with any alternatives? I ask bcoz I am looking for other options or may be there are things one can do with nextcloud to improve the experience ?

Frankly so far i dont like it much . the android app is just awful with instant uplaods, gets stuck in infinite upload loops and clashes. I realize its open source and I shud be grateful but it has a lot to cover if it has to match reliability of other mature paid platforms like google photos,etc.

• @raza19 said:

@vitobotta said:

• Umami (web analytics)

I remember from one of ur earlier posts that u were disappointed by nextcloud, is ur experience still the same ? Have u experimented with any alternatives? I ask bcoz I am looking for other options or may be there are things one can do with nextcloud to improve the experience ?

Frankly so far i dont like it much . the android app is just awful with instant uplaods, gets stuck in infinite upload loops and clashes. I realize its open source and I shud be grateful but it has a lot to cover if it has to match reliability of other mature paid platforms like google photos,etc.

You remember correctly! But most of my problems were with the macOS client and newer versions are working great. Also it was choking when syncing lots of node_modules directories. I have excluded those from syncing now and it working absolutely great. I love it now :)

Thanked by 1raza19
  • Pihole and nextcloud.

Thanked by 1Sayantan
  • AzuraCast

• @vitobotta said: BookStack

Do you have any advice, screenshots / screencast, guides on how to manage the notes using Bookstack? I am experimenting now with that, so I need more ideas than I currently have.

• Coolify (I love this), HestiaCP, Yunohost
    Various wikis (mediawiki) and cms (wordpress, grav)
    Uptime Kuma
    n8n
    Jellyfin & *arr apps
    Invoice Ninja
    CiviCRM (use it personally, nice project)

• Portainer
    Trilium
    Lounge
    Audiobookshelf
    Plex
    Xbackbone
    Uptime kuma

• A handful of PeerTube instances, plus a SeaweedFS object store for video storage

• You list so much good stuff.

• another inspiring thread @vitobotta !

guys, can i get some suggestions between immich vs nextcloud memories for google photos replacement..

I've looked for answers on reddit and they all seem to point to immich.

thanks

• hi,

which host you are using for "Minio"? also kindly provide the recommended hardware requirements for self hosted Minio based on your own experience!

• my existence

i am a container

Thanked by 2anubhavhirani loay
  • govac8govac8 Member
    edited November 2023

@gemini_geek said: which host you are using for "Minio"?

I am using 3 instances 2 TB (remote replication) using these providers:
    1. Interserver (will migrate to the Crunchbits soon)
    2. Greencloud NL
    3. Hosthatch NL

And I am using Caddy as a load balancer. As a side note, I am not sure about how this setup is correct from the HA perspective.

Thanked by 1gemini_geek
  • @govac8 said:

@vitobotta said: BookStack

Do you have any advice, screenshots / screencast, guides on how to manage the notes using Bookstack? I am experimenting now with that, so I need more ideas than I currently have.

I haven't really looked deeply in the features yet but it's a very capable system. For now i have organised my wiki in shelves, books, chapters and pages as expected, but nothing else yet.

Thanked by 1govac8
  • @govac8 said:

2. Greencloud NL
    3. Hosthatch NL

And I am using Caddy as a load balancer. As a side note, I am not sure about how this setup is correct from the HA perspective.

hi,

i also want to setup a HA setup, looking to setup replication or s3 proxy app to save asset in parallel to my 3 instance, looking for the optimum cpu and ram requirement, from users who are using it !

• @loay said:
    Coolify (I love this)

How do you find Coolify? I was curious about it because it seems to be gaining traction on Twitter etc.

@hiphiphip0 said:
    You list so much good stuff.

This is nothing, you should see my oldest thread about this, I was hosting a ton of stuff. I have calmed down since then :p

@ElonBezos said:
    another inspiring thread @vitobotta !

Thanks!

guys, can i get some suggestions between immich vs nextcloud memories for google photos replacement..

I've looked for answers on reddit and they all seem to point to immich.

thanks

Have you checked also https://github.com/scubajeff/lespas and https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism? I haven't used them myself but they are very popular with Nextcloud users.

@gemini_geek said:
    hi,

which host you are using for "Minio"? also kindly provide the recommended hardware requirements for self hosted Minio based on your own experience!

I host these apps on the same BeroHost VPS from a Halloween offer. I don't need much storage for what I use it for.

@govac8 said:

2. Greencloud NL
    3. Hosthatch NL

Do the 3 remote disks appear as just the same disk with replication? So far I've only used Minio in standalone mode with one disk.

• @vitobotta said: Do the 3 remote disks appear as just the same disk with replication?

Not sure, I made a replication using Site Replication on the left panel in the minio admin.

• @govac8 said:

@vitobotta said: Do the 3 remote disks appear as just the same disk with replication?

Not sure, I made a replication using Site Replication on the left panel in the minio admin.

If you need that much storage and replicated, isn't it easier to just use iDrive e2/Wasabi/Backblaze B2 or similar? I use Minio only for things that don't need much storage for simplicity.

• I'm planning on self hosting n8n.io for automation using the server that I won from Dustinc's giveaways. Also, I'm thinking of switching from pihole to adguard home. Also my Keepsolid subscription is expiring next year so I have to self host wireguard too.

• @vitobotta said: If you need that much storage and replicated, isn't it easier to just use iDrive e2/Wasabi/Backblaze B2 or similar?

I want to self-host it because I bought so much storage VPS :smile:

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Vaultwarden
    code-server
    adguard-home

• seenuseenu Member
    edited November 2023

Actually i moved away from self hosting or i am tired/bored of maintaining them.

so i am mostly using hosted solutions as they make more sense to me compared to time i put maintaining these vs i am using self hosted apps.

i really wanted to move away from google but google photos made me come back because of way too many features i want are there.

i tried many (i really mean it) gallery apps with face recognitions, spending hours fixing wrong pics by ML etc but none of them came close.

finally i found immich and i was so shocked with it.... its interface and the way it organizes pics by face feature etc.

It is not perfect but it has some features which even google photos doesn't have and it is very very actively developed app so this is the only one i am self hosting now a days (with passion) beside gitlab.

thanks.

• Can you help me find right script
    :/

I need file sharing platform.

We need to encrypt .zip files and provide max security.

End user can only unzip downloaded file if it have right key.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@Outdoor said:
    Can you help me find right script

https://github.com/ldidry/lufi?

• @vitobotta said: How do you find Coolify?

The last beta version is awesome. I am using it now to manage and deploy most of my stuff. You should try it.

• Adguard Home
    Home Assistant
    qBittorrent

• @unfortunately said:
    I'm planning on self hosting n8n.io for automation using the server that I won from Dustinc's giveaways. Also, I'm thinking of switching from pihole to adguard home. Also my Keepsolid subscription is expiring next year so I have to self host wireguard too.

Hey I might need n8n.io at work, thanks for mentioning it! Seems like Zapier, right?

@govac8 said:

@vitobotta said: If you need that much storage and replicated, isn't it easier to just use iDrive e2/Wasabi/Backblaze B2 or similar?

I want to self-host it because I bought so much storage VPS :smile:

Gotcha, if you have a lot of storage already then I understand.

@FatGrizzly said:
    Vaultwarden
    code-server
    adguard-home

Ouch, I forgot to mention Vaultwarden in my original post! Will update it.

@seenu said:
    Actually i moved away from self hosting or i am tired/bored of maintaining them.

I tried a few times but I just come back to self hosting stuff since I like it. Now I kinda have found a "balance" between the amount of stuff I maintain and the time I can dedicate to it.

@Outdoor said:
    Can you help me find right script

Uhm I am not sure of what to suggest because I haven't needed this yet. In cases I need to send some small encrypted stuff I could use Bitwarden Send but I haven't needed that either.

@loay said:

@vitobotta said: How do you find Coolify?

The last beta version is awesome. I am using it now to manage and deploy most of my stuff. You should try it.

Actually the reason why I am curious about it is that some features overlap with something I want to implement in Cluster Ninja, my own project. Still working out what the final product should be though.

@oriend said:
    Adguard Home
    Home Assistant
    qBittorrent

Until not long ago I was using a mix of Torrents, Usenet and the various downloaders, indexers and all the *arr apps plus Plex for my personal media centre. I scrapped all of that since I switched to Streamio+RealDebrid. I never need to download anything myself anymore, I just think of something to watch and chances are RealDebrid already has it :)

• Oh I can't edit my original post anymore it seems. I just wanted to add Vaultwarden to my list :)