Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much server load do you think is safe for a dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much server load do you think is safe for a dedicated server?

jobayerjobayer Member
edited November 2023 in Help

According to hetrix tool, My dedicated server CPU usage is 15% average and max 20%. I want to know whether it's possible to add another site without affecting performance or server reliability. My other site may add a maximum load of 5–10%. So I believe the CPU load will be constant at 25–30%. But will a constant 30% load on the CPU cause any performance issues or crush the server in a long run? What do you think? Am I already overusing it?

Current Load:
Average RAM Usage: 31.69%
CPU Usage: 15-20% (Constant)
Load Average: 1.42, 1.46, 1.45
Hard disk temp: 28 Degree (Constant)
CPU Temp: 27.8 Degree (Constant)

Server Information:
Intel Xeon-E 2136 - 6c/12t (3.3GHz - 4.5GHz)
Ram: 64GB
Disk: 500GB NVMe
Provider: OVH

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

30% sustained load shouldn't be a problem at all. These servers are designed to run under high load for long periods of time.

Thanked by 1jobayer
  • Generaly you want to milk rented server up to 95-98% of it's capacity since you don't pay for electricity. Slam it hard.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I have had like 900 load average on Dual Xeon E5s.

Thanked by 2jobayer COLBYLICIOUS
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@Shakib said:

Hope this was not your VPS node :naughty:

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@tentor said:

@Shakib said:

Hope this was not your VPS node :naughty:

Nope

• Even at 50% of full core utilization, no performance decrease was observed. Instead, more attention should be paid to the disk IO under this load, as it would be very annoying once the latency becomes high.

Thanked by 1jobayer
  • @danblaze said:
    Even at 50% of full core utilization, no performance decrease was observed. Instead, more attention should be paid to the disk IO under this load, as it would be very annoying once the latency becomes high.

this ^

Thanked by 1jobayer
  • You are confused by different terms "load" and "CPU usage". A 25% CPU usage means you're not even using 1 cpu. If you have a 8 CPU server, then you have capacity to use 800% CPU usage, as 100% CPU in Linux = 1 CPU... Load is something else entirely, it's how many processes running or waiting to run during a certain length of time. Both terms can be used to figure resources consumption, but know there's a difference.

On your 12 thread CPU, you can go up to 1200% CPU usage. You wouldn't want to do that all the time though, because it will wear down the hardware and cause instability in the software. I shoot for averages of 25% total cpu consumption during peak hours, this keeps my load down really low and helps ensure my servers aren't getting overworked and there's headroom to do additional tasks on the servers if needed (run backup anytime, or security scan, etc).

Thanked by 1jobayer
  • @thane Thanks for the clarifications.