Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS IP on IKWYD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS IP on IKWYD

BlueMonkeyBlueMonkey Member
edited November 2023 in Help

Hello,
Found my VPS IP on iknowwhatyoudownload with downloads not made by me. I've never used it for any public torrent download. So, how could this be possible? The first-seen and last-seen time are exactly the same. I checked the server for any unauthorized logins, but couldn't find any. Should I need to be worried? Also noticed other IPs from the range of the provider, with downloads logged the same way. Has anyone faced this before with their VPS?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Just noticed it today, and after making sure there's indeed no errant port with torrent traffic, I've changed the IP. Let's see if my new IP (which currently has nothing, like the old IP before this random streak) eventually gained such entries. FWIW, I haven't got any DMCA notice, which I'd expect if it was actual torrent traffic.

There are speculations that some trackers deliberately put fake data to thwart copyright trolls. Mine show rather random selections of torrents starting on November 20th, with several new entries almost every day until today, and also like yours, the first seen and last seen are the same.

Thanked by 2BlueMonkey Erisa
  • It indeed seems like IKWYD does occasionaly display wrong data. For whatever reason, maybe they want to make their service look better than it is.

Thanked by 1BlueMonkey
  • Huh, my new IP shows a random torrent today (the old IP doesn't show new entries). I stopped all private trackers and legal public trackers (actual Linux ISOs, not "linux"), and changed the IP again, which currently has a clean history. I'll follow up if my current IP shows anything.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited December 2023

It's not just you, IKWYD is simply wrong a lot of the time. Good for checking if something you did would show up. but useless for checking if something unauthorised happened on your IP.

Whether that's because their tracking sources are flawed, they store data wrong or just like to seem better, who knows. Bottom line is I wouldnt trust the data.

Thanked by 1BlueMonkey