Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

debian 11 or 12 on new vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

debian 11 or 12 on new vps?

i can't decide debian 11 or 12 on my new 4.5gb ram vps
am going to run a couple of docker compose containers like jenkins, grafana, prometheus, wordpress and awx ansible tower etc.

[memory usage on fresh install cmd top]
debian 11= 186.1 used
debian 12= 453.4 used
https://pasteboard.co/YCMHvYXnplwx.png

11 should have more tutorials and articles for configuring tools but was released in Aug-2021 which is quite sometime back already.
am i paranoid? (always have OS choice dilemma, after which will have version dilemma for every new vps) zzz...

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

If you don't have any backword compatibility constraint go with latest version. This will help you to keep your apps compatible further.

• I always use the latest Debian version regardless of the RAM unless it's 128MB.

• I think 11 is enough, except run python script

• RAM usage for me is basically the same for Debian 11 and Debian 12.

Most tutorials for Debian 11 will work just fine on 12. If not, you can check for Ubuntu 22.04 or later tutorials which most of them are cross-compatible with Debian 12.

My personal recommendation is to stick with the latest version, and port all the stuff that isn't compatible with Debian 12. It may take a bit depending on your projects, but totally worth it in the long run :)

• For a fresh install, there a couple of reasons to stick with oldstable (currently r11) (or even oldoldstable which is still under LTS care), which mostly amount to “I have an existing setup elsewhere that I'm replicating/extending and that is complex or sensitive enough to warrant caution”.

Also I tend to hold off just after a new release, even though Debian's releases tend to be solid and well tested, but r12 has been out (nominated the stable branch) for six months now so that isn't a concern.

Furthermore, if you use something that isn't in the standard repositories you might find that doesn't officially support running on the latest release yet.

Other than the above: go with current stable (r12 ATM).
    You'll be longer before needing to dist-upgrade due to r11 hitting EOL, or before you start having issues with wanting more up-to-date packages than are provided in the standard repositories.

[memory usage on fresh install cmd top]
    debian 11= 186.1 used
    debian 12= 453.4 used

It is worth looking at the list of packages installed, you might find that the r12 image used includes a bit more than the r11 one. Also check the list of services installed but not actively running, there maybe something you don't need that the r12 install has active by default but r11 does not. Also, just looking at memory use after booting and doing little else can be misleading. I would expect that r12 configured “identically” would use a bit more RAM, due to feature inflation in standard packages, but not that much more. For a slightly better view of what is using the memory, sort top by that rather than the default CPU-use sort order.

Even if that memory use can't be brought down: on a 4.5G VM would saving an extra couple of hundred MB be worth the potential need to dist-upgrade (or use external packages to be more up-to-date) sooner?

11 should have more tutorials and articles for configuring tools

Most of them will be equally valid for r12. Also: how often do you refer to tutorials that are genuinely Debian-centric rather than (beyond installation via apt) based around a particular tools that Debian happens to package?

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

+1 for newer version for security and feature purpose

If you are low on RAM then you should consider something like Alpine Linux

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • Looking at your nickname I am pretty sure you are stuck at Debian 10 and nothing more for you.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

On new Servers, always the latest, except there is a reason not to.

• Ok, will use R12, thank you guys for the advices
    cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
    NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="12"
    VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
    VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
    ID=debian

• bustersgbustersg Member
    edited November 2023

@JabJab said:
    Looking at your nickname I am pretty sure you are stuck at Debian 10 and nothing more for you.

lolz haha yes i got 1 production at Debian 10 indeed.
    buster -> from gat-x103 buster gundam