Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help! rm -rf destruction, ssh session currently active
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

help! rm -rf destruction, ssh session currently active

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited November 2023 in General

apparently a badly written script ran rm -rf on / and bulldozed all the binaries. Now nothing including ls, cp, mv, cat, nano, etc is working.

However, the ssh connection is active(pretty useless though) but new ssh connections return an error.

Is there any way using the active ssh connection that I can retrieve contents of a folder ? I know most will suggest using the backup but there is some active data in that folder I can really use. If only I cud get something like ftp to work ?

Comments

• MMzFMMzF Member
    edited November 2023

"rm -rf /" = 100% wasted, "but there is some active data in that folder I can really use." <--- its not there anymore it was forced removed. Get it reinstalled and get your brain relaxed!

Thanked by 2raza19 jfreak53
  • Without any binaries, the ssh connection is kind of useless. You could do cat >file to copy data onto the system, but without chmod you can't make any files executable, and you're probably not going to have success pasting binaries into your ssh connection anyway.

I think your best option is probably to boot up with a linux recovery ISO and then use extundelete so see if you're able to restore any of the deleted files. Note that every time you write anything to the filesystem, you run the risk of overwriting deleted data, so you will probably want to restore to a ram disk or similar, or a spare partition if you have one.

Thanked by 3raza19 webcraft bdl
  • BTW, to navigate the file system using just the shell you can use echo * instead of ls and other builtins like cd and cat should all be fine. You might find yourself lucky and find that some files still exist,

• @ralf said:
    BTW, to navigate the file system using just the shell you can use echo * instead of ls and other builtins like cd and cat should all be fine. You might find yourself lucky and find that some files still exist,

Both your suggestions are spot on. Luckily Hosthatch has a systemrescue disk as a boot image. So, using that I got few folders back as tar balls.

However, the home directory and other things are gone. For that I will likely use extundelete.

Thanks man (y). excellent advice & i was searching the entire internet for something like echo * before I tried the rescue disk :) you hit the nail on the head.

• @raza19 said:
    However, the home directory and other things are gone. For that I will likely use extundelete.

If you're lucky, /home was on another partition and you just need to mount that.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @ralf said:

@raza19 said:

If you're lucky, /home was on another partition and you just need to mount that.

unfortunately it wasn't. single disk. But this brings up another point. I had few folders nfs mounted from another vps. I have looked at the other vps and the files there seem intact at first sight but I was wondering if the rm -rf would delete those files too at the source ? technically it shud i guess?

• davidedavide Member
    edited November 2023

@raza19 said:
    I was wondering if the rm -rf would delete those files too at the source ? technically it shud i guess?

Yes it does.

I'm scared of the US keyboard layout for related reasons, the enter and shift keys have a too similar tactile shape and feel. That keyboard is still in the mail; dunno if I'll manage.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @raza19 said:
    apparently a badly written script ran rm -rf on / and bulldozed all the binaries.

Did the command contain --no-preserve-root? This switch guards against this scenario I think.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @harrison said:

@raza19 said:
    apparently a badly written script ran rm -rf on / and bulldozed all the binaries.

Did the command contain --no-preserve-root? This switch guards against this scenario I think.

It didnt & it did nothing to the root folder itself but it completely obliterated the home directory and others like bin. So i guess no preserve root also kills the root directory.

Still funny situation when u cant even ls, cat or apt :neutral: I think there must be fail safes to stop something like this.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • "Fail safe" is not running rm with -f :lol:

Thanked by 2raza19 webcraft
  • @Crab said:
    "Fail safe" is not running rm with -f :lol:

Yeah that makes sense now :)

• there was an article or a reddit post for this situation i saw a few years back, google it thoroughly..

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @raza19 's VPS after the rm -rf :(