Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup dedicated server??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup dedicated server??

Hi, I have zero knowlege about Dedicated server. I am not a pro, but a DIY guy. I have used unmanaged vps servers from different providers.

So I would like to know If I can just setup a dedicated server like an unmanaged vps. Like Install OS, Panel and ready. Apart from security and optimization. Is there any specific things to setup?

Comments

• you can use something like proxmox to make a bunch of VPS's on your server if you want to. But a dedicated server isnt that much different than a VPS other than its physical so if you get a really cheap dedicated server without ipmi, remote kvm, or reboot then you need to message them if you screw up the networking where you can no longer connect lol for them to reboot at the datacenter. So be extra careful with networking.

Thanked by 1Fabian47
  • cat /dev/sda >> /dev/tty{{0..100}}
    Looks good to me!

Thanked by 1Fabian47
  • You could challenge yourself with a raspberry Pi ;)
    Setting up some monitoring sce like Hetrix could be a best practice ...

Thanked by 1Fabian47
  • jobayerjobayer Member
    edited November 2023

Either you can install os, panel or whatever you want just like the vps you have used previously or create multiple vps inside it and use them separately. It's your choice. But one thing you have to keep it in your mind it takes little bit more time to reboot a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1Fabian47
  • @jobayer said:
    Either you can install os, panel or whatever you want just like the vps you have used previously or create multiple vps inside it and use them separately. It's your choice. But one thing you have to keep it in your mind it takes little bit more time to reboot a dedicated server.

That makes sense. So, that means if I would like to used as 1 server, then the setup is same as VPS and there is nothing else?

• @Fabian47 said:
    if I would like to used as 1 server, then the setup is same as VPS and there is nothing else?

Yes, you got it. You have to setup it just like a vps. No need to do anything else.

Thanked by 1Fabian47
  • @Fabian47 said:
    Hi, I have zero knowlege about Dedicated server. I am not a pro, but a DIY guy. I have used unmanaged vps servers from different providers.

So I would like to know If I can just setup a dedicated server like an unmanaged vps. Like Install OS, Panel and ready. Apart from security and optimization. Is there any specific things to setup?

It's always good to have a managed server or hire a system administrator for an unmanaged server.

Thanked by 1Fabian47