Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the actual point in buying from a reseller?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the actual point in buying from a reseller?

xespoxespo Member
edited November 2023 in Providers

Almost always, the businesses that providers here resell offer their own VPS/dedi plans etc. And for around the same price. Like all the psychz resellers... you can just buy from psychz....

Buying from a reseller is just one more point of failure in case of someone trying to target your site with fake abuse reports or whatever.

Comments

1. if the upstream doesn't have a specific config (like you need a very small plan, nat etc)
    2. if the upstream doesn't accept your payment method, or does kyc
    3. sometimes a reseller can have better support / addons
  • @gaming said:
    1. if the upstream doesn't have a specific config (like you need a very small plan, nat etc)

eh, never encountered any of those reasons

• @xespo said:

@gaming said:

Well, that's good for you. Nobody says that you need to buy from a reseller. Another -already semi-mentioned- reason would be better plans. E.g. if you want a vps with dedi cores in Falkenstein, you might be better off with some sunny vds deals from blablahost69.top.biz than hetzner directly. and, to add to payment methods/kyc, just generally hosts that at least try to protect your privacy. lastly, and imo most important is when some dcs only accept business clients and thus you use a host to get then servers where you want em.

(sorry if this message doesn't make a whole lotta sence, written in a rush)

• @shruub said:

@xespo said:

@gaming said:

Well, that's good for you. Nobody says that you need to buy from a reseller. Another -already semi-mentioned- reason would be better plans. E.g. if you want a vps with dedi cores in Falkenstein, you might be better off with some sunny vds deals from blablahost69.top.biz than hetzner directly. and, to add to payment methods/kyc, just generally hosts that at least try to protect your privacy. lastly, and imo most important is when some dcs only accept business clients and thus you use a host to get then servers where you want em.

i've seen about an equal amount of non-resellers and resellers require kyc so I just didn't and don't take this seriously

• @xespo said:

@shruub said:

@xespo said:

@gaming said:

i've seen about an equal amount of non-resellers and resellers require kyc so I just didn't and don't take this seriously

dunno what you don't take serious, but aight. afiak only hetzner, ovh and probably some more big playas actually require kyc

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@xespo said:
    Almost always, the businesses that providers here resell offer their own VPS/dedi plans etc. And for around the same price. Like all the psychz resellers... you can just buy from psychz....

Buying from a reseller is just one more point of failure in case of someone trying to target your site with fake abuse reports or whatever.

I think it depends on the scale/scope of the reseller. Are you just buying off-the-shelf ready-deploy configs from a provider? Probably not much value add there on the hardware side. Though definitely possible when it comes to service level/packaging, managed services, and potential for creating 'HA' services globally distributed.

A good reseller creates something new out of the stuff they're 'reselling'. Afterall, we're all just reselling something with an added ingredient. The utility company sells power to the datacenter. Datacenter puts a building around the power, resells it to us. We add network, racks, etc and then resell to downstreams.

• I'm pretty sure I've seen providers that have good deals on dedis but shit deals on VPSes, so a reseller could rent dedis then parcel them out better.

• gaminggaming Member
    edited November 2023

@xespo said:

@shruub said:

@xespo said:

@gaming said:

highly doubt that as I have seen no resellers with kyc

Thanked by 1shruub