Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hacker News Down: 4M requests per day on $100/mo server!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hacker News Down: 4M requests per day on $100/mo server!

loayloay Member
edited November 2023 in General

After the last OpenAI drama, HN is frequently inaccessible for logged-in users. This was posted about their infrastructure! I believe they can get a server with better performance from Hetzner or OVH for less than $100 per month.

4M requests per day. One ~$100/mo server (plus standby). pic.twitter.com/Rp0vQ2eTrm

— Daniel Vassallo (@dvassallo) November 18, 2023

The awesome Coolify project is even hosted on a 4$/month Hetzner VPS!!!

I have an ARM server ($4/month) running all of these (image below), with 9M requests/month and 10k unique users.

Not 4M requests/day, but still quite good imo.🙂 image

— Andras Bacsai (@heyandras) November 18, 2023
Thanked by 1dosai

Comments

• @loay said: I believe they can get a server with better performance from Hetzner or OVH for less than $100 per month.

I guess the support would be a lot worse than M5 Hosting though.

• @cassa said:

@loay said: I believe they can get a server with better performance from Hetzner or OVH for less than $100 per month.

I guess the support would be a lot worse than M5 Hosting though.

The network too.

• Daily requests doesn't really mean much... if you average it to 46 req/s that isn't impressive even for an old dedicated server, but presumably their peak is much higher than that.

People so used to using 10 frameworks and 40 separate microservices each deployed to their own AWS EC2 instance to generate a basic page they've forgotten what an optimized site on a dedicated server can serve :D

• @zako12 said: People so used to using 10 frameworks and 40 separate microservices each deployed to their own AWS EC2 instance to generate a basic page they've forgotten what an optimized site on a dedicated server can serve

A business I am working for is using AMD Epyc 7401P to host 2 wp sites :D

Thanked by 1boringHustler
  • boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep

@loay said:

Depends on how much money they are making. Seems like they are making enough, not to care. ;)

Thanked by 2loay neverain
  • The point wasn't that they were maxing out that hardware at 4M req/day. The main point was that it was all running on a single machine, relatively low spec for the time (and this was about 6 years ago), and it could still easily handle that load because they had only recently ungraded from a smaller setup. The second machine was another identical machine for failover and upgrades, not to handle additional load.

Thanked by 1loay
  • TerranodeTerranode Member, Patron Provider

@loay said:

@zako12 said: People so used to using 10 frameworks and 40 separate microservices each deployed to their own AWS EC2 instance to generate a basic page they've forgotten what an optimized site on a dedicated server can serve

I have some clients who also host some WordPress pages, but they handle brutal traffic, just by telling you that on a weekend (3 days) they invest 20k on each website in advertising so that that traffic goes to their websites.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Not surprising. People overestimate resource needs to run a website.

• loayloay Member
    edited November 2023

@Terranode said: I have some clients who also host some WordPress pages, but they handle brutal traffic, just by telling you that on a weekend (3 days) they invest 20k on each website in advertising so that that traffic goes to their websites.

They've 2k visitors per month max. I did a benchmark for the server server on Hetzner:

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 55 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 48 @ 1200.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 125.8 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 875.0 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-13-amd64
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 850
    Multi Core      | 13398
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/21967531

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1012
    Multi Core      | 6915
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/3637305

• karanchookaranchoo Member
    edited November 2023

This site is hosted on single AX102

Most are API Non Cached Requests.

Edit : These are last one week stats.

Thanked by 1loay
  • @karanchoo said: Most are API Non Cached Requests.

Wow, great performance, what is the average cpu usage on this?

• usually 20-30% on peak usage as seen in spikes spikes 50-60% .
    And its IIS10 on win server.

Thanked by 1loay
  • @loay said:

@zako12 said: People so used to using 10 frameworks and 40 separate microservices each deployed to their own AWS EC2 instance to generate a basic page they've forgotten what an optimized site on a dedicated server can serve

Got three litle Wordpress websites on an VPS with 9 7950x3d vCores and 6GB RAM.

Thanked by 1loay
  • @COLBYLICIOUS said: Got three litle Wordpress websites on an VPS with 9 7950x3d vCores and 6GB RAM.

How much traffic they are getting per day? Do you use woocommerce or any similar plugin?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2023

Depends how well optimized your stuff is.
    For example gdnsd can easily do 300k requests per second, on first Gen Ryzen hardware.

Probably even more.

Thanked by 1loay
  • Give tweet author's bio, is probably trying to sell HN a book on how to migrate to AWS

Thanked by 1loay
  • @loay said:

@COLBYLICIOUS said: Got three litle Wordpress websites on an VPS with 9 7950x3d vCores and 6GB RAM.

How much traffic they are getting per day? Do you use woocommerce or any similar plugin?

Not much, 500 visitors per day. And no, I don't got WooCommerce on them, they are just blogs but I want to make things to move fast.

Thanked by 1loay