Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN/System for stabilizing unstable/slow connections. Does it exist?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN/System for stabilizing unstable/slow connections. Does it exist?

stefemanstefeman Member
edited November 2023 in General

As title says.

Suppose you have unstable hotel wifi, bad cellular connection with constant timeouts at various websites, or old 1-2 Mbps satelite connection or plane wifi over atlantic.

You have internet, and websites generally load, albeit a bit slowly. However you have tons if 504 errors and even more random timeouts and/or missing elements on the website.

Is there any system that is able to continue loading the stuff as a bridge, even if the client seemingly timeouts?

For example:

Client -> VPN/System/Middleman -> Website

Client loses connection to VPN/System/Middleman or the Website while requesting content/images/text/elements/etc with web browser, but the VPN/System/Middleman would continue to load the content/website and then serve it to client when it regains signal/connection after few seconds and prevent the website from timing out.

Right now, when travelling, I end up having to reload websites multiple times just to get the last missing elements which actually causes me to use more data and everything takes forever. Back at home it works just fine though.

Comments

• Install a GUI operating system on a VPS, connect to the VPS and do your "stuff" on there. The connections will be served from the VPS so all you need to worry about is the connection to your VNC/RDP remote desktop.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@hadawayandplay said:
    Install a GUI operating system on a VPS, connect to the VPS and do your "stuff" on there. The connections will be served from the VPS so all you need to worry about is the connection to your VNC/RDP remote desktop.

I doubt RDP will be usable under OPs' circumstances.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2023

Less complex, text based browser? Should ignore images and media.

• Kasm Workspaces with Firefox

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I need network based solution or maybe some reverse proxy / caching

• @hadawayandplay said: Install a GUI operating system on a VPS, connect to the VPS and do your "stuff" on there. The connections will be served from the VPS so all you need to worry about is the connection to your VNC/RDP remote desktop.

This is probably the most practical solution but not with VNC/RDP because those protocols are not resistant to packet loss and are not efficient enough.

Instead of VNC/RDP, use KasmVNC because that protocol has been designed from the ground up to be very efficient (I've used it extensively)