Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highly available Postgres cluster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Highly available Postgres cluster

Hi all. Can you recommend a way (tool or something) to properly and easily manage a highly available postgres cluster on linux machine? this should cover automatic failover, point in time recovery, backups to s3. Is there a project that automates all of this? Unfortunately I can't use Kubernetes in this specific case so I can't use an operator.

As an alternative, are there any affordable managed Postgres services I could use instead?

Comments

• I use RDS for that. It's not necessarily that expensive depending on the power you need. And most cloud providers offer this service. (OVH, Scaleway, digitalocean...)

A word of advice... Focus on the product you're making. Rather than on the infrastructure. And use managed services as much as you can.
    Unless your project is to learn that part.

• I used Patroni + etcd, which was good and worked well a while ago.

• @remy said:
    I use RDS for that. It's not necessarily that expensive depending on the power you need. And most cloud providers offer this service. (OVH, Scaleway, digitalocean...)

A word of advice... Focus on the product you're making. Rather than on the infrastructure. And use managed services as much as you can.

RDS is expensive.

@Arirang said:
    I used Patroni + etcd, which was good and worked well a while ago.

I am trying this now https://github.com/vitabaks/postgresql_cluster

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • HA is a complex thing, usually done in-house as architecture varies. Some F5 slabs and bunch of virtuals at the back between 2 DCs.

• remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:
    I use RDS for that. It's not necessarily that expensive depending on the power you need. And most cloud providers offer this service. (OVH, Scaleway, digitalocean...)

RDS is expensive.

In this case, most managed database services are expensive.
    Because it's the same starting price for most of the providers I've mentioned (with replication).

• I second Patroni + Etcd. Works great.

• boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep

@vitobotta said:
    Hi all. Can you recommend a way (tool or something) to properly and easily manage a highly available postgres cluster on linux machine? this should cover automatic failover, point in time recovery, backups to s3. Is there a project that automates all of this? Unfortunately I can't use Kubernetes in this specific case so I can't use an operator.

As an alternative, are there any affordable managed Postgres services I could use instead?

Go with Cockroach DB.
    We are using it in production across geo setup.

If the software requires low latency, keep the nodes closer.

• That project I tested works great so I think I will go with that. Thanks everyone