Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spent $1.1k for RAID1 data recovery, what's next to backup RAID1?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spent $1.1k for RAID1 data recovery, what's next to backup RAID1?

bustersgbustersg Member
edited November 2023 in Help

Had a 2-bay Dlink 320L which I rebuild RAID1 twice in the span of last 5yrs+. Had since swapped both 2TB 3.5" to 2.5" Crucial MX500 SSD. Last week, NAS failed to boot (blinking power LED) so I purchased a new 2-bay Synology 223j. Turns out I had to format both SSD to use 223j and I learnt that I can't migrate RAID1 from 1 NAS to another (at least not from 1 brand to the other) easily.

Tried Ubuntu LiveCD to mount and extract data (using command "mdadm") but the metadata and superblock were both corrupted in both SSD. Was quoted $1.1k by professional data recovery on both disks for best data recovery effort (or 50% fee for 1 disk).

- Question
While the data recovery is in progress, I am planning to backup the new RAID1.
I see 2 options here.

a) Use the new Synology 223j as primary NAS now, and connect the 320L as backup NAS. Sync important data only (e.g., family photos) from 223j to 320L on daily or weekly basis.
[synology NAS] --- backup/ sync to --> [dlink NAS]

b) Dlink 320L is a EOL product more than 10 years ago (2013?), stop using it!
Use the new Synology 223j and backup to remote "storage VPS"
[synology NAS] --- backup/ sync to --> [remote storage VPS]

With (a), everything will be secure in the home network, no risk of leaking family photos etc. but (b) could be a viable option since the 320L hardware might be the cause to why both Crucial SSD got corrupted in the 1st place, not to mention I had to rebuild RAID1 twice before.

These are my thoughts, I hope to see/hear others, and deploy the best approach to backup the RAID1.

Comments

• Raid isn't a backup. Best to use 321 method. I just use 2 local backups.

• "The 3-2-1 backup strategy simply states that you should have 3 copies of your data (your production data and 2 backup copies) on two different media (disk and tape) with one copy off-site for disaster recovery." - learnt something new.

By 3-2-1, so 1 data copy should 'ideally' be stored off-site (outside my home)?
    I always thought RAID is a backup. I even go around boost to my tech friends I'm using a NAS at home in mirror RAID1 for backup while you guys are still using external USB hard disk.

• thanethane Member
    edited November 2023

Lol nooooooo, that's data protection 101 "raid is not a backup". A backup is a backup.

In my PC I have a big SSD where all my old files/fam pics/taxes/etc is stored, all my important stuff. I then have two additional SSD drives that I use as backup. So when I dump photos off my phone into my storage drive, I also copy them to the first backup drive and again to the second backup drive... I could setup some kind of automation for it, but they're all SSD sata so they xfer pretty quick.

Yes it would be smart of me to pull one of my backup drives and store in my fireproof safe, or ideally it would be "off site" at a bank safety deposit box or something - but really the data isn't THAT important for me. My most precious files are my business files, which DO get backed up off-site to my Dropbox, and those files are synced to Dropbox live, so any changes to files in that folder get automatically synced/backed up right away.

Anyways, I just wanted to throw the snarky "raid is not a backup" out there as a edgy meme, glad it actually helped you tho :)

• So are both of your drives dead, in other words, have you tried to clone them and read SMART values?
    I don't see how long you have used them, but from quickly googling, the MX500 were released 5,5 years ago. Although not impossible, especially for two drives of the same batch, I think 5 years is rather uncommon, specifically if your usecase wasn't as intense (which I assume for home NASes) and due to the maximum 4TB version Crucial offers..

Also, for the future, yes, RAID is no backup. I mean, it can prevent (huge) data loss for sure, but that's not the main reason for it

• danblazedanblaze Member
    edited November 2023

If I were you, I would purchase the S3 service for iDrive E2 and utilize backup suite for encrypted backups. That way even if the drive is damaged, you don't need to rebuild it, but simply synchronize it locally from the network.

• @danblaze said:
    If I were you, I would purchase the S3 service for iDrive E2 and utilize backup suite for encrypted backups. That way even if the drive is damaged, you don't need to rebuild it, but simply synchronize it locally from the network.

Can i buy storage vps from lowendtalk, and use some synology app to do the remote sync on a daily basis on important folders? Is going to be cheaper than S3.

Or perhaps I could pay 1 time to buy external 2TB SSD and plug into USB3 of synology NAS to do sync?

• @bustersg said:

@danblaze said:

Can i buy storage vps from lowendtalk, and use some synology app to do the remote sync on a daily basis on important folders? Is going to be cheaper than S3.

Or perhaps I could pay 1 time to buy external 2TB SSD and plug into USB3 of synology NAS to do sync?

You absolutely can, though I believe iDrive E2's first annual price for new signups is effectively the same as buying a storage VPS.

Nonetheless, you can absolutely use Rsync for stable synchronization via the storage VPS!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2023

@bustersg said:

a few others said:
    Raid is not backup

Well, yes and no. 'No' as in "Raid's focus is on immediate availability", i.e. on keeping your system running even when a disks fails. Otoh also 'Yes' as in "well, you have another disk with your data on it".

For serious and/or critical use cases (like "your data gone ~ your business dead") even the famous 321 scheme may not be good enough, but for typical private use cases Raid 1 plus an external (preferably also geographically) backup should be good enough in most cases.

Plus, anyway and no matter whether private, business, or. a bank I highly recommend non-magnetic media (in addition) for the really important stuff.

So, family, holiday, and cat images, music, videos, and whatnot -> Raid + external backup + plus e.g. DVDs for "critical core stuff".

@bustersg said:
    Or perhaps I could pay 1 time to buy external 2TB SSD and plug into USB3 of [storage]?

YES, absolutely. That's the external device (and for a company one should make that two Raid'ed drives).

Notes:
    If you know how to handle a linux system yourself I strongly suggest to stay away from (most) "ready to play" NAS devices but to rather use a normal PC with enough room for the number of disks you want to use and to make/handle the Raid yourself. Why? Because many (most?) NAS device manufacturers, as you've probably learned by now, don't like to play well with others (incl. plain linux)

If you have a reliable friend who lives about 200 or 300 miles away (actually any distance above about 200 miles Is OK incl. other countries but it's advantageous if you still can drive there within a couple of hours if SHTF) you can make an arrangement to mutually send each other a say, monthly "core stuff" (encrypted) DVD vial snail mail and to safely store it for each other.

• Good advice, i'm more towards buying 1x2TB external SSD as RAID1 backup. Prefer to keep family photos, my passport scans, job CV etc. within my home. Wish I had these knowledge beforehand which could potentially save me $1.1k data recovery fee.

@jsg said:

@bustersg said:

a few others said:
    Raid is not backup

Well, yes and no. 'No' as in "Raid's focus is on immediate availability", i.e. on keeping your system running even when a disks fails. Otoh also 'Yes' as in "well, you have another disk with your data on it".

For serious and/or critical use cases (like "your data gone ~ your business dead") even the famous 321 scheme may not be good enough, but for typical private use cases Raid 1 plus an external (preferably also geographically) backup should be good enough in most cases.

Plus, anyway and no matter whether private, business, or. a bank I highly recommend non-magnetic media (in addition) for the really important stuff.

So, family, holiday, and cat images, music, videos, and whatnot -> Raid + external backup + plus e.g. DVDs for "critical core stuff".

@bustersg said:
    Or perhaps I could pay 1 time to buy external 2TB SSD and plug into USB3 of [storage]?

YES, absolutely. That's the external device (and for a company one should make that two Raid'ed drives).

Notes:
    If you know how to handle a linux system yourself I strongly suggest to stay away from (most) "ready to play" NAS devices but to rather use a normal PC with enough room for the number of disks you want to use and to make/handle the Raid yourself. Why? Because many (most?) NAS device manufacturers, as you've probably learned by now, don't like to play well with others (incl. plain linux)

If you have a reliable friend who lives about 200 or 300 miles away (actually any distance above about 200 miles Is OK incl. other countries but it's advantageous if you still can drive there within a couple of hours if SHTF) you can make an arrangement to mutually send each other a say, monthly "core stuff" (encrypted) DVD vial snail mail and to safely store it for each other.

• @bustersg said:
    Good advice, i'm more towards buying 1x2TB external SSD as RAID1 backup. Prefer to keep family photos, my passport scans, job CV etc. within my home. Wish I had these knowledge beforehand which could potentially save me $1.1k data recovery fee.

There's still the risk that you could lose everything in a house fire. Off site backup is essential if you really care about your data.

Keeping stuff encrypted is the best way - I have a 1TB and a 2TB storage VPS in different countries, as well as 2x 1TB RAID on some dedis somewhere else, that are mostly used for backups. I back up everything using borgbackup now, with a different key per source/backup location combo, so as long as you keep track of all the keys for recovery time, it's secure and redundant.

Previously, I used to have 2x 2TB encrypted external drives, and would keep one in the car and one at work. Once a week, I'd take out the one from the car, do an incremental backup to it, then return it to the car, and next time I went to work, I'd just swap them over. Now I'm fully remote and don't have a work office any more, it's more sensible to do it all online, plus I can automate it to run every day now.