Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean: The New Academic Pioneer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean: The New Academic Pioneer

emghemgh Member
edited November 2023 in General

You might know DigitalOcean as a hosting company. If you do, you’re a boomer.

They’re now a research institute, and their research should make any university afraid. They’re simply so good.

Here’s, in their own words, their key-findings of their latest ”research report” (yes, they call it this, and yes, the below is quoted word by word”):

• Economic downturn affects small businesses but optimism persists
  • Widespread adoptation of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)
  • Remote and hybrid work structures dominate the tech landscape
  • Multi-cloud strategies are rising in tandem with cybersecurity investments

The above was quoted word for word, I hope that their next research report will be as insightful. There are rumours that they after careful resesrch, in their next research report, will be able to come to the key-findings that:

• Grass is green
  • The sky is blue
  • Sometimes good stuff occurs
  • But sometimes shit happens too

Please download the report for more in-depth information about the tech landscape, they will need your email though 😈

https://www.digitalocean.com/currents/november-2023

What did you learn today?
  1. Yes, what?42 votes
    1. I had no idea people in tech sometimes work remote
      38.10%
    2. I had no idea we were inside a recession
      35.71%
    3. I had no idea AI and/or ML usage is increasing
      26.19%

Comments

• @emgh said: Widespread adoptation of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)

just yesterday I read news that Bill Gates said: In next 5 years everyone of us will be having their own Pesonal AI assistant!

:)

Thanked by 2emgh Sayantan
  • Do people still use DigitalOcean?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Wicked said:
    Do people still use DigitalOcean?

You’ll have to wait for their december research report where they’ll figure this out.

• @emgh said:
    You might know DigitalOcean as a hosting company. If you do, you’re a boomer.

They’re now a research institute, and their research should make any university afraid. They’re simply so good.

Here’s, in their own words, their key-findings of their latest ”research report” (yes, they call it this, and yes, the below is quoted word by word”):

• Economic downturn affects small businesses but optimism persists
    • Widespread adoptation of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)
    • Remote and hybrid work structures dominate the tech landscape
    • Multi-cloud strategies are rising in tandem with cybersecurity investments

The above was quoted word for word, I hope that their next research report will be as insightful. There are rumours that they after careful resesrch, in their next research report, will be able to come to the key-findings that:

• Grass is green
    • The sky is blue
    • Sometimes good stuff occurs
    • But sometimes shit happens too

Please download the report for more in-depth information about the tech landscape, they will need your email though 😈

https://www.digitalocean.com/currents/november-2023

Option 4: I had no idea I'm a boomer.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DazzleDazzle Member
    edited November 2023

@Wicked said:

We have too much VM with DO with a monthly expense of over 1k, too lazy to move out.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Wicked said: Do people still use DigitalOcean?

They have good articles and blogs.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@Wicked said: Do people still use DigitalOcean?

They have good articles and blogs.

And research.

Thanked by 3gbzret4d jsg Sayantan
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

But I find their tutorials very precise and practical.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • corenetcorenet Member
    edited November 2023

@Wicked said:

yes i am use digitalocean 10 years (singapore is good)

• LeeLee Veteran

@emgh said: And research.

I mean they have been doing this for quite some time and it’s based on responses to their survey that all customers are asked to participate in. The report is far more detailed you are just choosing to be a dick by quoting a small part out of context. Did they cancel your free credits or something?

If you don’t use them and don’t find their ‘research’ useful, why you bothering? Move on.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • DO is where I deploy my first ever VPS server.

They got a big name in my mind. But I do not have any service with them now.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited November 2023

@Lee said:

@emgh said: And research.

I mean they have been doing this for quite some time and it’s based on responses to their survey that all customers are asked to participate in. The report is far more detailed you are just choosing to be a dick by quoting a small part out of context. Did they cancel your free credits or something?

If you don’t use them and don’t find their ‘research’ useful, why you bothering? Move on.

I’m glad you’re now aware people in tech sometimes work remote but not always.

• Next DigitalOcean research piece: So much money does the average company save by moving to Hetzner

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • Thanked by 3thane emgh sasslik
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Pet peeve: "methodology". 99.9% of the time people use this word, they should use "method".

Methodology is the study of methods, not the method you used.

People who use "methodology" need to get off my lawn.

Thanked by 4thane emgh OhJohn mrTom
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    Pet peeve: "methodology". 99.9% of the time people use this word, they should use "method".

Methodology is the study of methods, not the method you used.

People who use "methodology" need to get off my lawn.

Tsk, you're just raindog, your statements, no matter how obviously correct, carry no weight. Do you have DO research to back up what you say? Because, you know, their research does carry weight. That's the right methodology to do researchology!

Thanked by 3emgh raindog308 OhJohn
  • @jsg said: Do you have DO research to back up what you say?

This is the next "Source?"

Thanked by 1jsg
    • I have no idea
    Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Wicked said:

They seem pretty big these days.

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited November 2023

@niranjan said: Option 4: I had no idea I'm a boomer.

this

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @bermudi said:

@niranjan said: Option 4: I had no idea I'm a boomer.

this

I'm sorry

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • @emgh said: And research

Mm. Earlier i always used their 100 Credit to test things. Now not using it anymore.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited November 2023

@Wicked said: Do people still use DigitalOcean?

Looking at the pricing, it is not for LET or LES users for sure. But for heavy or critical applications, SMB - Enterprise companies still use them, it's just because of their stability, scalability and reliability.

It's pricing almost the same with other cloud companies like Vultr, Linode and UpCloud.

@raindog308 said: People who use "methodology" need to get off my lawn.

Wew. I have what i called "Benchmark Methodology" in my website :D

• @SirFoxy said:

thank you for your feedback.

Thanked by 2emgh SirFoxy
  • Their free credits have helped lots of students with their projects. Their tutorials are also nice. They seem to be in a tricky position though, they are neither as acceptable/known as the top three nor they are cheap/ low-end. They are kind of in-between. Wish them all the best, competition is good for the world.

Thanked by 2emgh bermudi
  • mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited November 2023

@Wicked said:

My whole company is on DO, around 50 servers. It can get quite expensive when you go for more powerful servers, but I think it is a good reliability/cost balance.

In 2018, we had our own data centre space and it was sods law that everytime I went for a meal or out to enjoy hobbies, something would break. Our hosting costs may have roughly doubled moving to DO, but as cringy as it sounds, I now sleep well at night and I rarely take my laptop out with me when going out for the day.

The most common issue that we have with DO when having many servers is that from time to time we get notified that the host node has failed, taking down a single VM. A host node failure typically incurs anywhere from 10-30 minutes of downtime while they move the VM and anything else that was on that machine, but entirely handled by DO. We run PRTG externally and they know before we know... It has happened about 10 times in 5 years, I typically log in when its back and run an fsck and a mysqlcheck.

IMO the only features that DO is missing is the ability to run serverless apps/databases and high availability across multiple regions (but I have CloudFlare to fix that).

• @mrl22 I don't think the majority of people that left DO went to acquire data center space instead, I think they moved to other cloud providers, like Hetzner

Thanked by 1jsg