Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage for Borg backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage for Borg backups

At the moment I am backing up servers and my Mac with Borg using these two backup destinations:

The storage box is a bit slow so I am wondering if there is something with better performance and decent price I could switch to. I know about rsync.net and BorgBase. rsync.net is rock solid but expensive; BorgBase would be perfect but I am wondering if there is some other provider on LET who offers affordable storage with Borg support like NetDynamics.

Any other options? Thanks.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24

Comments

• Forgot to mention that the location has to be somewhere in Europe.

• You could always get a decent storage VPS and backup to your own server?

If you want an easier way to manage Borg server-side, check-out:
    https://github.com/Ravinou/borgwarehouse

• It occurred to me that storage boxes are now available in Helsinki, so I am gonna try that now since I live near Helsinki and performance should in theory be better.

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited November 2023

I run one of my borg servers on a storage VM from HostHatch in London, and am very happy with it.
    Maybe wait a few more weeks until BF/CM. :)
    The other one is at CrownCloud, in Frankfurt. Much more expensive in comparison, but I love 23M as their location.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • I am surprised that there aren't many storage services for Borg around, or is it just my impression? Yeah I could also keep the storage box for now until BF, that would work too.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

I think you already found the main ones. There was one more a few years ago, but they went out of business. Limalabs?

• Wow I am testing with the storage box in Helsinki and the difference is massive. It's backed up 15 GB in 2 minutes already, much faster than with the one in Falkenstein. So I think I will just keep this new storage box is good as it seems. It's just 3.97e/mo for 1 TB VAT included.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • I have a 1TB interserver and 2TB hosthatch solely for borg backups. Happy with both. The interserver always seems quite slow to connect to, but totally fine for backups.

Always impressed by servarica's offers too, but never got round to buying one.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • Have you played with rclone yet

• 326 GB backed up in 1 hour 53 minutes, which with my 400Mbps upload is very good. So I'll this. Thanks everyone

Thanked by 2iKeyZ loay
  • @ralf said:
    I have a 1TB interserver and 2TB hosthatch solely for borg backups. Happy with both. The interserver always seems quite slow to connect to, but totally fine for backups.

Hi! How is Hosthatch in terms of performance? The Hetzner Storage Box has inconsisent performance for me. Even the new one in Helsinki was very fast when I did the first backup but now sucks and chokes when checking integrity of the Borg archives.

• @BBTN said:
    I run one of my borg servers on a storage VM from HostHatch in London, and am very happy with it.
    The other one is at CrownCloud, in Frankfurt. Much more expensive in comparison, but I love 23M as their location.

Same question for you re: HostHatch performance.

• I suggest opening single thread with "All vitobotta Questions and Answers"

• loayloay Member
    edited November 2023

@amarc said:
    I suggest opening single thread with "All vitobotta Questions and Answers"

Very helpful posts

Thanked by 1tjn
  • @vitobotta said:

Not running Borg but Restic and a few Nextcloud instances on HostHatch storage in Stockholm, and performance is good. Especially the network is outstanding for me personally as they peer directly with my ISP, but even from other providers the network is really good.

• I read horrible reviews on HostHatch so I signed up with @m4nu's BorgBase.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Is our Borgbackup stable in performance? And what about while checking integrity?

• @NetDynamics24 said:
    Is our Borgbackup stable in performance? And what about while checking integrity?

Yep yours has been awesome since the beginning! No hiccups at all so far. By the time the integrity check was at 5% with Hetzner it had already finished with your service. Same amount of data and snapshots.

• @vitobotta said:

@ralf said:
    I have a 1TB interserver and 2TB hosthatch solely for borg backups. Happy with both. The interserver always seems quite slow to connect to, but totally fine for backups.

Hi! How is Hosthatch in terms of performance?

To be honest, it's hard to be completely sure, as I've not tried any timing stuff on it.

All of my backups run overnight, so I've never noticed how long anything has taken, but initial syncs seem to be similar to my other destinations. Doing a borg list :: seems to be about the same on connect as my dedis. I've not had to restore from hosthatch yet, but will try it out next time.

I've not tried to run borg compact yet, because it has 2TB and so I've not deleted any of the old incrementals from this machine yet as I still have over 0.5TB free.

• @ralf said:

@vitobotta said:

@ralf said:

Hi! How is Hosthatch in terms of performance?

To be honest, it's hard to be completely sure, as I've not tried any timing stuff on it.

All of my backups run overnight, so I've never noticed how long anything has taken, but initial syncs seem to be similar to my other destinations. Doing a borg list :: seems to be about the same on connect as my dedis. I've not had to restore from hosthatch yet, but will try it out next time.

I've not tried to run borg compact yet, because it has 2TB and so I've not deleted any of the old incrementals from this machine yet as I still have over 0.5TB free.

IMO the check task shows more if storage performance is good or not

• ralfralf Member
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said:
    IMO the check task shows more if storage performance is good or not

OK, done some tests using borg check. Probably the most useful one, all the backups are about the same size:

Testing hetz root backup, all cores of dedi:

ovh: dedi Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz, maybe limited by port speed, slow HDD
    4.3G    hetz-fsn-1/
    real    5m15.610s
    user    3m56.436s

home: 1 vCPU VM on: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 @ 2.00GHz, cheap SSD, 500Mbps, essentially idle
    4.2G    hetz-fsn-1/
    real    4m39.220s
    user    4m0.084s

swamp: interserver, in US, everything else is EU
    4.3G    hetz-fsn-1/
    real    11m14.310s
    user    4m38.968s

hatch: hosthatch AMS, 1 vCPU EPYC 7551P
    4.1G    hetz-fsn-1/
    real    6m10.159s
    user    4m0.520s

Another test, some of the backups were added later, some have been compacted, some are full, some are full but older:

Testing from web, a single core VM on ovh, maybe limited by port speed:

ovh: dedi Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz, slow HDD
    23G     root-web/
    real    6m19.022s
    user    0m57.193s

home: 1 vCPU VM on: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 @ 2.00GHz, cheap SSD, 500Mbps, essentially idle
    6.3G    root-web/
    real    1m13.218s
    user    0m57.444s

swamp: interserver, in US, everything else is EU
    22G     root-web
    real    34m34.709s
    user    17m19.749s

hetz: 1 vCPU VM on: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
    6.4G    web
    real    1m11.106s
    user    0m57.115s

hatch: hosthatch AMS, 1 vCPU EPYC 7551P
    17G     web
    real    17m57.599s
    user    13m44.634s

All are running remote, except web-to-ovh which is running between VMs on the same host.

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said:

@BBTN said:

It works perfectly for me. Backups for 18, mostly smaller servers worldwide. I have not yet observed the backup runtimes, but restores have always been quick and problem-free. - Should I run a YABS benchmark or something else for you? :) Just ran borg check for the first time on a random backup.

hosthatch LON, 1 vCPU E5-2690
    2.4GB
    real    1m38.736s
    user    0m44.843s

• @BBTN said:

@vitobotta said:

@BBTN said:

It works perfectly for me. Backups for 18, mostly smaller servers worldwide. I have not yet observed the backup runtimes, but restores have always been quick and problem-free. - Should I run a YABS benchmark or something else for you? :) Just ran borg check for the first time on a random backup.

hosthatch LON, 1 vCPU E5-2690
    > 2.4GB
    > real  1m38.736s
    > user  0m44.843s
    > 

That backup seems tiny

• I am using AlphaVPS for my borg backups. I started with 128GB several years ago, and upgraded to 256 a year or two ago. Upgrade was flawless, they had to kove my VM to other host.

Is it slow, I cannot tell, its scheduled to back up my VMs at night, but it has already saved my butt when my HDD has failed at home. ;)

• @vitobotta said:
    That backup seems tiny

It is.
    Did another one, just for you. :blush:

40.6 GB
    real    19m1.743s
    user    13m52.331s

• @BBTN said:

@vitobotta said:
    That backup seems tiny

It is.
    Did another one, just for you. :blush: