Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10gbps storage options
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10gbps storage options

Good day,
Does anyone have legitimate storage hosting (whether it's a VPS or shared hosting (rsync / scp ) that has a legitimate 10gbps or higher port? (By "legitimate", what I mean is, perhaps some providers advertise "up to 10gbps" ... but I'm looking for options where that is indeed true (I also realize I must have that capability on my side too in order to experience that speed.

or it could be a S3 storage provider; However, the one I've tried does not seem to offer that kind of port speed.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Even if you have this bandwidth, there's a good chance that the disk is too slow to take advantage of it.

Unless you pay the price and go for SSD storage.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@techmon said:
    Good day,
    Does anyone have legitimate storage hosting (whether it's a VPS or shared hosting (rsync / scp ) that has a legitimate 10gbps or higher port? (By "legitimate", what I mean is, perhaps some providers advertise "up to 10gbps" ... but I'm looking for options where that is indeed true (I also realize I must have that capability on my side too in order to experience that speed.

or it could be a S3 storage provider; However, the one I've tried does not seem to offer that kind of port speed.

Thank you in advance!

You have 10Gbps internet but you write or read data from a disk with a write/read speed of up to 200MB/s, guess where the problem is?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

For small traffic here you go: https://pulsedmedia.com/storage-boxes.php

You can just grab a seedbox like M10G RAID5 too and use it for storage: https://pulsedmedia.com/m10g-seedbox.php

Others are right, to have continuous 10G speeds SSD is recommended. Some of our HDD based machines can do that even in shared setting, but we don't guarantee it. M10G series most nodes are like that.

It also depends on your access patterns, if it's sequential it is easier than fully random. In either case, you have graduated beyond just basic storage since you need the performance too.

• techmontechmon Member
    edited November 2023

Thanks to all for your input :)

You have 10Gbps internet but you write or read data from a disk with a write/read speed of up to 200MB/s, guess where the problem is?

Gotcha, makes sense.

With one of my primary VPS's (which is pretty snappy, on Ryzen 7950X/ NVME PCI-e 4), when I do a speed test, I get over 3gbps download and over 2gbps upload speed, which is quite nice. I suppose the bottom line regarding what I'm looking for is to be able to upload / download (transfer files back and forth) utilizing that capability (without the limitation of a slower port at the storage hosting)

I see what you mean that if the storage hosting is on HDD that there's a good chance it would not be able to take advantage of that high of a port speed anyway.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@techmon said:
    Thanks to all for your input :)

Gotcha, makes sense.

With one of my primary VPS's (which is pretty snappy, on Ryzen 7950X/ NVME PCI-e 4), when I do a speed test, I get over 3gbps download and over 2gbps upload speed, which is quite nice. I suppose the bottom line regarding what I'm looking for is to be able to upload / download (transfer files back and forth) utilizing that capability (without the limitation of a slower port at the storage hosting)

I see what you mean that if the storage hosting is on HDD that there's a good chance it would not be able to take advantage of that high of a port speed anyway.

Only during tests when you write to /dev/null

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

How much space are you looking for?

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@techmon said:
    Good day,

Thank you in advance!

How much space do you need, at what would you prefer to pay?

• @PulsedMedia said:

You can just grab a seedbox like M10G RAID5 too and use it for storage: https://pulsedmedia.com/m10g-seedbox.php

Others are right, to have continuous 10G speeds SSD is recommended. Some of our HDD based machines can do that even in shared setting, but we don't guarantee it. M10G series most nodes are like that.

It also depends on your access patterns, if it's sequential it is easier than fully random. In either case, you have graduated beyond just basic storage since you need the performance too.

Your storage solutions seem to align with my budget and requirements. However, I have a question: I don't use Torrents, and I noticed in your description it mentions "2 000 MiB rTorrent Dedicated Ram," "10Gbps Torrents," and "10 000 GiB Torrent traffic." Does this apply to HTTP/HTTPS connections as well, or is it limited to Torrent ports or traffic only?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Doorman1077 said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Your storage solutions seem to align with my budget and requirements. However, I have a question: I don't use Torrents, and I noticed in your description it mentions "2 000 MiB rTorrent Dedicated Ram," "10Gbps Torrents," and "10 000 GiB Torrent traffic." Does this apply to HTTP/HTTPS connections as well, or is it limited to Torrent ports or traffic only?

That 2 000MiB is actually account RAM limit, need to change wording. Lots of evolution in software package since releasing that service :)

All upstream traffic is counted.