Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Racknerd DC02, Route exploded?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happened to Racknerd DC02, Route exploded?

edited November 2023 in General

It's been a long time since my last ssh login to my VPS on RN DC02. Just now, I logged in it and I found something abnormal. There was a nonnegligible latency when I typed command on terminal. It striked me that the route to my region (I am in China actually) must be unusual. So I checked the recent data on uptime kuma. I was shocked by the diagram. I am on 74.48.183.*. Does everybody else have same issue? Hoping that this problem can be solved soon, and I completely trust the ability of Racknerd. @dustinc

Comments

• babywhalebabywhale Member
    edited November 2023

it could just be from abusers, sometimes the latency will rise a bit, but i think its because of bad actors

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited November 2023

Hi @Double_Chen, thank you for your order.

We've gone ahead and doubled your latency.

Thank you for your continued business!

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @Doublefire_Chen -- appreciate you being our valued customer :)

We are not experiencing any widespread issues in Los Angeles DC-02, or any other datacenter location of ours recently. No other customers are reporting similar issues either. I also just checked multiple IPs within LA DC-02 using external tools like: https://ping.pe/ -- These checks have shown no packet loss globally.

Given this, it's possible that the issue you're experiencing might be isolated to your connection or setup. One factor to consider could be any firewall configurations on your server. For instance, if you have ConfigServer Firewall (CSF) installed on your server, it's known to rate limit ICMP requests by default. I would recommend checking your firewall settings, particularly in the csf.conf file (within the "ICMP_IN_RATE" section), to see if this might be a possibility (for example I know there are some free control panels out there that by default bundle in CSF).

I want to clarify that my intention isn't to dismiss the potential of an issue on our end. My mention of firewall configurations, particularly with CSF, is simply to highlight a common oversight we've observed. Often, our clients might be unaware of CSF being installed, as it can come bundled with certain free control panels, frequently with default settings in place. This is a scenario we've encountered more than once, and it's always a good initial check to rule out such possibilities. If there's an issue on our side, we're always the first to take responsibility and make things right. Should it be necessary, we are also prepared to escalate this issue and create a case with our upstream providers. That being said, if after reviewing your firewall settings and any other potential factors within the OS level, you still believe the issue is not originating from your end - please send me an email at [email protected] with your VPS IP, your source IP, and a detailed MTR report. This will help me better understand where and how the packet loss is originating.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Doublefire_Chen -- By the way, I managed to locate your account using your username. I've checked your VPS IP on ping.pe and can confirm no issues when pinging it globally. Additionally, I checked the host node your VPS is on and it is in fact quite healthy, with no signs of resource contention. Therefore, it seems unlikely that the issue stems from any resource abuse or similar factors.

Anyway, review my past response above, check those possibilities and if you still believe there to be an issue on our end, reach out to me with the MTR and we can go from there :)

Thanked by 1Doublefire_Chen
  • sh97sh97 Member
    edited November 2023

@dustinc on a side note, I've noticed that over the past 6+ months, my VPSs in DC02 have been having a significant drop in download speeds.

I currently have just one service in DC02, but previously when I had multiple services, noticed this issue across different host nodes.

Uploads are easily hitting ~900Mbps, whereas downloads from most networks hover around 200Mbps.
    For directly peered networks like Cloudvider LA or Race, I can see ~900Mbps download and upload. (Test files/speedtest/ iperf)

Dunno, seems something is off. I even raised a ticket a few months back, where I was migrated to another node, but it was more or less the same.

When doing some tests from your SJC location, latency/speeds seem much better.

Anyways, just letting you know. Since I don't have any network dependant stuff on this VPS, I'm fine with the current state.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@dustinc said:
    Hi @Doublefire_Chen -- appreciate you being our valued customer :)

We are not experiencing any widespread issues in Los Angeles DC-02, or any other datacenter location of ours recently. No other customers are reporting similar issues either. I also just checked multiple IPs within LA DC-02 using external tools like: https://ping.pe/ -- These checks have shown no packet loss globally.

Given this, it's possible that the issue you're experiencing might be isolated to your connection or setup. One factor to consider could be any firewall configurations on your server. For instance, if you have ConfigServer Firewall (CSF) installed on your server, it's known to rate limit ICMP requests by default. I would recommend checking your firewall settings, particularly in the csf.conf file (within the "ICMP_IN_RATE" section), to see if this might be a possibility (for example I know there are some free control panels out there that by default bundle in CSF).

I want to clarify that my intention isn't to dismiss the potential of an issue on our end. My mention of firewall configurations, particularly with CSF, is simply to highlight a common oversight we've observed. Often, our clients might be unaware of CSF being installed, as it can come bundled with certain free control panels, frequently with default settings in place. This is a scenario we've encountered more than once, and it's always a good initial check to rule out such possibilities. If there's an issue on our side, we're always the first to take responsibility and make things right. Should it be necessary, we are also prepared to escalate this issue and create a case with our upstream providers. That being said, if after reviewing your firewall settings and any other potential factors within the OS level, you still believe the issue is not originating from your end - please send me an email at [email protected] with your VPS IP, your source IP, and a detailed MTR report. This will help me better understand where and how the packet loss is originating.

I could not stop myself from praising you @dustinc for the kind of professional and well explained response you give all the time .. I know we are competitors but still got to appreciate it

• As you said: Route to China must be unusual.
    The issue from China side.

• @Doublefire_Chen said:
    in China

The GFC is the culprit 999/1000 times.

Thanked by 2emgh BatuCloud
  • @Don_Keedic said:

Your sensor of humor is excellent. Thank you for happiness you bring to us.

Thanked by 2emgh PineappleM
  • @Doublefire_Chen said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Your sensor of humor is excellent. Thank you for happiness you bring to us.

We usually don’t do this, but since you appreciate the service so much we’ve gone ahead and doubled your package loss as well.

Please restart VPS from panel to see the effect.

Regards,

• @emgh said:

We usually don’t do this, but since you appreciate the service so much we’ve gone ahead and doubled your package loss as well.

Please restart VPS from panel to see the effect.

Regards,

You are as funny as he is. I can not believe that there are lots of laugh and joy.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Doublefire_Chen said:
    It's been a long time since my last ssh login to my VPS on RN DC02. Just now, I logged in it and I found something abnormal. There was a nonnegligible latency when I typed command on terminal. It striked me that the route to my region (I am in China actually) must be unusual. So I checked the recent data on uptime kuma. I was shocked by the diagram. I am on 74.48.183.*. Does everybody else have same issue? Hoping that this problem can be solved soon, and I completely trust the ability of Racknerd. @dustinc

I have been working with my RN vpss in DC2 the last 3 days, 24/7 without any issue.

• @dahartigan said:

@Doublefire_Chen said:
    in China

I guess what you want to say is GFW.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @tuc said:

I have been working with my RN vpss in DC2 the last 3 days, 24/7 without any issue.

Maybe this issue only happened to customers in China.

• @Doublefire_Chen said:

@dahartigan said:

@Doublefire_Chen said:
    in China

I guess what you want to say is GFW.

China.

• @HostEONS said:

I could not stop myself from praising you @dustinc for the kind of professional and well explained response you give all the time .. I know we are competitors but still got to appreciate it

I appreciate your ability to show respect and admiration to your competitors. This is what worth learning for everybody. I believe you and your company wound have a great future. Next time I wounld also give a consideration for your product if I need.

Thanked by 1HostEONS
  • @dustinc said:

Anyway, review my past response above, check those possibilities and if you still believe there to be an issue on our end, reach out to me with the MTR and we can go from there :)

Thank for your kind and patient response. I have read it thoroughly. I believe there is no problem in my end as I have a long time not loggin my server so this is impossible for me to change any settings. Before this, I also has a smooth experience. My ping record service also has run for a long time and its rate is normal (1 ping/60s). I will send you my traceroute info via e-mail.

• After a communication via email, problem is founded, the issue is in my side. The route provided by my ISP is terrible. Thank you @dustinc very much. The service of Racknerd is awesome!

• @HostEONS said: I could not stop myself from praising you @dustinc for the kind of professional and well explained response you give all the time .. I know we are competitors but still got to appreciate it

he indeed is a helpful guy!

• I suggest that the dc02 should be optimized for china.

• This is probably one of the first threads of this kind that went so wholesomely

Very good @Doublefire_Chen

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:
    This is probably one of the first threads of this kind that went so wholesomely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Kindness_Day :)

Thanked by 2emgh fluffernutter
  • I am not sure if this is related, but i have a KVM on DC02 that went offline earlier today. It was timing in and out prior losing pings etc. After a few checks via console it turns out the VPS is stable but but no IP address allocated to the VPS, hence can't connect in or out.

After a few ticket responses, i was fianally told all thay can do is re-install the OS. I was hoping not to have to do this, but with no other options I re-installed the OS.

It didn't resolve the issue and the same problem exists. So problem is outside the VPS it seems and i destryed all data unecessarily.

Now waiting for advice on next steps

• oneroner Member
    edited November 2023

:)

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@oner said:
    正常,中国很多网友都反映过

for anyone in 2009 without a translator:

@oner said:
    It’s normal. Many netizens in China have reported

• @EthernetServers said:

@emgh said:

What a coincidence! The world will be much better if we were kind everyday.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Doublefire_Chen said:

@EthernetServers said:

@emgh said:

What a coincidence! The world will be much better if we were kind everyday.

I’ll take this as a sign

• OT: Why can’t China set up better routes to its country and optimize its firewall to have less impact on non-blocked IPs?

No matter what you think about the firewall itself, it’s not like China can’t make technological advances in general..

• TheXtremeSTheXtremeS Member
    edited November 2023

During night time, on LAX-DC02, I experienced some slow speed to our ISP.

• @emgh said:
    OT: Why can’t China set up better routes to its country and optimize its firewall to have less impact on non-blocked IPs?

The situation is much complicated than what you think. In my opinion, the hardware and policy are two main factor which can be considered in order to improve the network experience of China resident. I am sorry that I can not say more about it in order to avoid some unneccessary trouble. As a nobody, I have no power to change anything. I just feel happy to live with my simple life.

No matter what you think about the firewall itself, it’s not like China can’t make technological advances in general..

That's true, I am proud of every progress my motherland is making.

Thanked by 1emgh
This discussion has been closed.