Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone able to match my dedi from Oneprovider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone able to match my dedi from Oneprovider?

Hi all,
Looking to pickup a new dedi (anywhere really) currently running the below from Oneprovider in Montreal Canada, the 2 x 240 GB SSDs aren't really cutting it for me at the moment & I want to swap to HDD's for more space however Oneprovider doesn't have any stock of the HDD version so hoping to see if anyone can match or has a similar deal to the below specification but with HDD's

CURRENT SPEC
Xeon E3-1230 v2 @ 3.3 GHz 4c/8t
32 GB DDR3
2× 240 GB (SSD)
30 TB @ 1 Gbps
$17.99 USD p/mth

Thanks in advance all :)

Comments

• ..you should wait till BF deals come... but it's very low price for the specs you posted above..... provider simply can't make money on it, I am afraid

• @beanman109 said: Thanks in advance all

It's all discount dedi. They have large quantities, so they make big discounts to sell faster.

It is better to sell cheaper but a lot than to sell nothing at all.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@jenkki said:

@beanman109 said: Thanks in advance all

It's all discount dedi. They have large quantities, so they make big discounts to sell faster.

It is better to sell cheaper but a lot than to sell nothing at all.

Most likely not at that price it's not really worth it to a provider. I guess if they have spare space and power they're paying for maybe covers the costs.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@beanman109 said:
    Hi all,
    Looking to pickup a new dedi (anywhere really) currently running the below from Oneprovider in Montreal Canada, the 2 x 240 GB SSDs aren't really cutting it for me at the moment & I want to swap to HDD's for more space however Oneprovider doesn't have any stock of the HDD version so hoping to see if anyone can match or has a similar deal to the below specification but with HDD's

CURRENT SPEC
    32 GB DDR3
    2× 240 GB (SSD)
    30 TB @ 1 Gbps
    $17.99 USD p/mth

Thanks in advance all :)

Hi! Wow! That seems like really a good deal! Best wishes! Tom

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • Why not just buy this one from OneProvider?

Intel Xeon L3426
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    2× 2 TB
    $19.29

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2023

v2, DDR3, ew. Maybe check Nocix for older hardware. They’ve got something pretty close for $25/m.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • @concept said:
    Why not just buy this one from OneProvider?

Intel Xeon L3426
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    2× 2 TB
    $19.29

This is what I have been considering but if I'm being honest I don't really want to lose half of my Passmark score & RAM + a price increase to swap to HDDs. They previously had Xeon E3-1230 servers with 16GB DDR3 & either x2 1TB or x2 2TB HDDs for $14-$16 p/mth iirc but I don't know how long I'll be waiting or IF stock will ever return for that

• @PureVoltage said: Most likely not at that price it's not really worth it to a provider.

DDR3 now two times cheaper than DDR4 new, and used ones also dirt cheap so fill up 32 Gigs RAM is not such a problem for this cost. New SSD cost around $15 each for now.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2023

@jenkki said:
    DDR3 now two times cheaper than DDR4 new, and used ones also dirt cheap so fill up
    32 Gigs RAM is not such a problem for this cost. New SSD cost around $15 each for now.

You obviously have no idea of the real operating costs of providing such a service.
    Hardware costs are the least of such.

~ SMARTHOST

• @SmartHost said: You obviously have no idea of the real operating costs of providing such a service.

We are talking about the cost of equipment. Not to mention rent, electricity, etc.

8GB of DDR3 cost $9 each, so $36 for 32GB, two SSDs cost about $25 for both.
    The motherboard with the old processor is refurbished. The cost varies, but is not expensive.

Overall, this configuration can be purchased for about $100. And rent it for $18/month. After 5 months, you get your money back and continue to make money.

Of course, if you don't include rent, electricity, and other bills, you can include taxes.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

How about adding in the real costs: Network equipment, staffing, insurance, connectivity/redundancy, etc...

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • @concept said:

Intel Xeon L3426
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    2× 2 TB
    $19.29

This is why not:
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/oneprovider.com?stars=1

• I'm going to say no, oneprovider are amazingly cheap, but their support is terrible

• @chip said: I'm going to say no, oneprovider are amazingly cheap, but their support is terrible

so basically you are given a good deal but you'll be on your own.

• @yusra said:

@chip said: I'm going to say no, oneprovider are amazingly cheap, but their support is terrible

I have had servers from One provider before and their support is like many other providers.

Basically, you are always on your own if you buy an unmanaged service with anything other than hardware issues and routing issues. Anything else then learn stuff and do it yourself.

• @hennaboy said:

@yusra said:

@chip said: I'm going to say no, oneprovider are amazingly cheap, but their support is terrible

I have had servers from One provider before and their support is like many other providers.

Basically, you are always on your own if you buy an unmanaged service with anything other than hardware issues and routing issues. Anything else then learn stuff and do it yourself.

The problem is more their response to hardware issues is to give you a new server, minus your disks

• @yusra said:

Practically, takes them hours and hours to respond to any tickets ans follow ups will be the same... answers aren't always accurate (the wrong information is given)

• @darkimmortal said:

@hennaboy said:

@yusra said:

The problem is more their response to hardware issues is to give you a new server, minus your disks

As far as I am aware they are just resellers so probably why they simply replace the server than swap the drives.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @darkimmortal said:

@hennaboy said:

@yusra said:

I never had this, but I heard there standard response to any issue was to replace the hardware

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@jenkki said:

@PureVoltage said: Most likely not at that price it's not really worth it to a provider.

DDR3 now two times cheaper than DDR4 new, and used ones also dirt cheap so fill up 32 Gigs RAM is not such a problem for this cost. New SSD cost around $15 each for now.

I was more so going from the costs of hosting.
    Even if in a cheap location say the cost was only $500 for 42U / that you're at 11.90 just in colocation costs before removing some of the RU's for networking gear and adding networking costs.
    Add in 3U used for switches your cost per RU now goes to $12.82

Even if you had the server paid off years ago talking about a $5/6 profit on a server not really worth anyone providers time at those rates is more so what we're saying.

Now if it's in a microcloud and they have those rented out and this or a few are still not active and they're already paying extra costs for the fans might make a little bit more. Either way it's not something most providers will offer.

• remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

Oneprovider picked up old online.net / scaleway inventory. Margins must be very low. But the servers have been running for 10 years and it's a big company that must have spare capacity in its datacenters.

On the other hand, if a disk crashes, they give you a new server... Which rules out any professional use, but at this price no wonder.

I imagine that the scaleway teams deal with disk replacement on a very occasional basis for this range.

Edit: If your server is in Canada, then it's not scaleway resale. Maybe leaseweb / OVH?

• @somik said:

@concept said:

Intel Xeon L3426
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    2× 2 TB
    $19.29

This is why not:

Well, the OP already uses OneProvider and they seem to good with them. It's very hard to find servers that cheap that meet their needs.

• remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

@concept said:

@somik said:

@concept said:

Intel Xeon L3426
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    2× 2 TB
    $19.29

This is why not:

Well, the OP already uses OneProvider and they seem to good with them. It's very hard to find servers that cheap that meet their needs.

It's a good provider as long as you don't expect any support.
    And don't expect a disk replacement to rebuild the raid array, you'll get a new server with no data.
    I've had several servers with them.

However, I've never tested the higher-end servers, so maybe the support is better.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@remy said: if a disk crashes, they give you a new server... Which rules out any professional use

Does professional use imply "it's for someone else" and you don't really care and don't make any backups?

• @rm_ said:

@remy said: if a disk crashes, they give you a new server... Which rules out any professional use

Does professional use imply "it's for someone else" and you don't really care and don't make any backups?

I don't put anything into production without RAID and the guarantee that the disk will be replaced.
    Even with backups, it can take a long time to get everything up and running again.
    This doesn't mean that I consider RAID to be a substitute for backups.

So for me, oneprovider's low-cost servers are for hobby use only.

• @beanman109 said: CURRENT SPEC

32 GB DDR3
    2× 240 GB (SSD)
    30 TB @ 1 Gbps
    $17.99 USD p/mth

Not what you're looking for.. but:

Intel Xeon E-2314
    8GB DDR4 ECC 3200MHz
    1TB HDD
    30TB @ 1Gbps

€28/month vat included

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • @c1vhosting said:

@beanman109 said: CURRENT SPEC

32 GB DDR3
    2× 240 GB (SSD)
    30 TB @ 1 Gbps
    $17.99 USD p/mth

Not what you're looking for.. but:

Intel Xeon E-2314
    8GB DDR4 ECC 3200MHz
    1TB HDD
    30TB @ 1Gbps

€28/month vat included

Thankyou for an actual offer!

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • somiksomik Member
    edited November 2023

@remy said:

@rm_ said:

I don't put anything into production without RAID and the guarantee that the disk will be replaced.
    Even with backups, it can take a long time to get everything up and running again.
    This doesn't mean that I consider RAID to be a substitute for backups.

So for me, oneprovider's low-cost servers are for hobby use only.

Damn... and I got baited into getting a server from them when I don't even need one... Can't say no to those prices and good review from actual users...

Oh well, I'll welcome it to my idler club :tongue: