Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget VPS (will be used for mail hosting)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget VPS (will be used for mail hosting)

RicoZRicoZ Member
edited November 2023 in Requests

Looking for a very budget VPS that will purely be used for email. Will be running WildDuck Mail Server, port 25 needs to be open.
I will set it up myself. Just looking for something cheap and lightweight to use for this.
Mostly used to receive emails and pretty occasionally reply to them.
Needs good uptime.

Rason for port 25:
Server will be set up and managed through Ploi.io
Their email server preset uses this port.
The description:
When installing a email server additional tasks have to be done. You will have to create an A record pointing to your server before installation starts. This should be a A record like: A · mail.example.com · 1.2.3.4.

Once Ploi has setup your server and you know about the IP address, you can create this A record and then start installation. We will send you a clear email about this once it is ready, you will also be able to view this inside the panel.

After installation, you will also need to create additional DNS record for DKIM & SPF. We will email these instructions to you, you will also be able to gather these records through the panel.

Some server providers block port 25 by default. Get in touch with your server provider to get this restriction lifted. We cannot help you with lifting this restriction.

Make sure, before you continue, that you're allowed to use port 25 on your server. Some providers allow port 25 after verification.
Thanked by 1truweb

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

TLDR: need an ultra cheap VPS for spamming.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

I can help you with this, provided that you will indeed use it for a mail server

Thanked by 1RicoZ
  • @yoursunny said:

Isn't port 25 used as incoming mail? The host can always "limit" the outgoing by making the user send emails through a mail outgoing proxy to combat spam.

• jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep

@RicoZ said:
    Looking for a very budget VPS that will purely be used for email. Will be running WildDuck Mail Server, port 25 needs to be open.
    I will set it up myself. Just looking for something cheap and lightweight to use for this.
    Needs good uptime.

Rason for port 25:
    The description:
    When installing a email server additional tasks have to be done. You will have to create an A record pointing to your server before installation starts. This should be a A record like: A · mail.example.com · 1.2.3.4.

Once Ploi has setup your server and you know about the IP address, you can create this A record and then start installation. We will send you a clear email about this once it is ready, you will also be able to view this inside the panel.

After installation, you will also need to create additional DNS record for DKIM & SPF. We will email these instructions to you, you will also be able to gather these records through the panel.

Some server providers block port 25 by default. Get in touch with your server provider to get this restriction lifted. We cannot help you with lifting this restriction.

Make sure, before you continue, that you're allowed to use port 25 on your server. Some providers allow port 25 after verification.

We've got VM's in Hong Kong and UK which will be fine for this. Assuming it isn't spam we can accommodate for this easily.

Feel free to DM me if interested.

Thanked by 1RicoZ
  • racknerd allow mail server.very budget.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2023

The chances someone plans to use Wildduck for spam are excessively low, so this is a good solid request. For any provider thinking of responding but not sure.

That said, using ploi.io to deploy it sounds like something done by someone who isn’t a system administrator so if there were a negative to fulfilling this request, it would be that there’s a chance this isn’t well secured.

• @saobilin said:
    racknerd allow mail server.very budget.

they use colocrossing ? may be in spam by default

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@RicoZ said:
    Needs good uptime.

Rason for port 25:
    The description:

As long as it's not used for spamming we can offer you VPS as low as $2 per month across 6 locations in US right now and EU locations in about 10 days

To available this $2 promotional pricing check out https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/189917/hosteons-11-11-special-6-locations-ryzen-5950x-nvme-10g-port-flat-50-off-2-mo#latest

• @tsoft said:

@saobilin said:
    racknerd allow mail server.very budget.

they use colocrossing ? may be in spam by default

San jose is cc,but lax is MULTACOM.

• alexhostalexhost Member, Patron Provider

Hello.

Our VPS in Republic of Moldova, have Port 25 opened by default.
    https://alexhost.com/vps/

Kindly Regards,
    Alexhost

• @saobilin said:
    San jose is cc,but lax is MULTACOM.

this one is much better

• I see racknerd use plenty of dcs, need to check their offers

ColoCrossing United States
    GorillaServers, Inc. United States
    Host Europe GmbH Germany
    Hydra Communications Ltd United Kingdom
    MULTACOM CORPORATION United States
    Nexeon Technologies, Inc. United States
    WebNX, Inc. United States

• @yoursunny said:

please.

lets not "jump to conclusions".

maybe he just needs help setting up a self hosted exchange server

• RicoZRicoZ Member
    edited November 2023

@yoursunny said:

Need a VPS to mostly just receive emails, but sometimes reply.
    Currently, for my personal domain I use ProtonMail, but their Mail Plus plan only allows 1 custom domain. I could upgrade to Proton Unlimited, but that's 6euro a month more and still has a limit of 4 custom domains. And for my other projects I use Cloudflare Email routing, but it's kind of confusing when someone sends an email to [email protected], and I reply with my personal mail.

I explained my use-case and why I require port 25 in my OP, as to avoid confusing.
    @jar their concern is entirely fair, I am indeed not a sysadmin. I'm just a developer and want a mail server for some of my side-projects to receive and reply to emails such as feature requests and support.

That's all. The reason I'm looking for a budget server is that it will rarely receive or send mail and I don't charge for or run ads on any of my projects, so it's kind of a net loss.

I'm also happy to answer any question and/or verify with a hosting provider before they open the port at all.

No intentional malintent from me.