Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Website Downed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Website Downed

Comments

• I’m sure Cloudflare will release the power in the coming days

• Why/how did the Google error page show instead?
    It wasn't defaced I take it. Does Google use Cloudflare?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I'm sure Cloudflare has a google cache point

Thanked by 2Calin tjn
  • Sounds like it wasn't a volumetric attack, but rather ones that targeted deliberate endpoints on the website. If it were a volumetric attack other CF infrastructure would be affected too.

Thanked by 2Erisa emgh
  • @ehhthing said: attack other CF infrastructure would be affected too

The article says "Cloudflare’s website is deliberately hosted on separate infrastructure and cannot impact Cloudflare services."

• @NanoG6 said:

@ehhthing said: attack other CF infrastructure would be affected too

The article says "Cloudflare’s website is deliberately hosted on separate infrastructure and cannot impact Cloudflare services."

Cloudflare.com is currently announced via 104.16.128.0/20 (and probably some other ranges, depending on where you resolve it from), which also hosts a lot of other websites. In a volumetric attack you either overload the entire network by flooding it with too much traffic or you do a basic L7 attack where you overwhelm the reverse proxy with too many connections. If either of these things happened to Cloudflare.com, other customers would be impacted because the entire 104.16.128.0/20 range would've been overloaded with traffic or all of Cloudflare's reverse proxies would've been overloaded with traffic.

Neither of these things happened. What they're referring to is that Cloudflare.com isn't hosted on the same servers that host Cloudflare's reverse proxies, which makes sense since Cloudflare.com is in some ways a "customer" of Cloudflare's reverse proxies.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@ehhthing said:

@NanoG6 said:

Cloudflare.com is currently announced via 104.16.128.0/20 (and probably some other ranges, depending on where you resolve it from), which also hosts a lot of other websites. In a volumetric attack you either overload the entire network by flooding it with too much traffic or you do a basic L7 attack where you overwhelm the reverse proxy with too many connections. If either of these things happened to Cloudflare.com, other customers would be impacted because the entire 104.16.128.0/20 range would've been overloaded with traffic or all of Cloudflare's reverse proxies would've been overloaded with traffic.

Neither of these things happened. What they're referring to is that Cloudflare.com isn't hosted on the same servers that host Cloudflare's reverse proxies, which makes sense since Cloudflare.com is in some ways a "customer" of Cloudflare's reverse proxies.

Still brings up the question... Why did it still go down. I mean how does that look to the world when you are suppose to be a DDoS protection company and can't even keep your own website up... Even if the client side of things wasn't effected.

Thanked by 2raindog308 themew
  • shruubshruub Member
    edited November 2023

Aren't these the same guys that ddosed openais api as well? Interesting regardless of what might have actually happened

Edit: yeah, reading the article helps. Whoops

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2023

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@ehhthing said:

@NanoG6 said:

Still brings up the question... Why did it still go down.

No website is 100 % safe from targeted attacks on certain endpoints.

No website is even safe from volumetric attacks, it's simply a resources game.

@DataIdeas-Josh said: when you are suppose to be a DDoS protection company and can't even keep your own website up...

Dosen't make any sense, most big companies have been affected by DDoS at some point, it's the norm. Cloudflare won't be an exception. If anything, it's the ultimate flex, and probably tried by various groups all the time.

They were also back within a few minutes, and no other websites protected by them was affected.

And no, Cloudflare isn't "suppose to be a DDoS protection company" they ARE a DDoS proteciton company. One of the largest one, at that.

And do you as a provider seriously consider a few minutes of downtime to a website for years and years to be deserved of this comment by you:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: can't even keep your own website up...

I'll remember that next time your network experiences the slightest of hiccups.

Thanked by 2Erisa fluffernutter
  • And no, Cloudflare isn't "suppose to be a DDoS protection company" they ARE a DDoS proteciton company. One of the largest one, at that

cloudflare isn't a ddos protection company it's the largest datamining op ever done

• @naphtha said:

And no, Cloudflare isn't "suppose to be a DDoS protection company" they ARE a DDoS proteciton company. One of the largest one, at that

cloudflare isn't a ddos protection company it's the largest datamining op ever done

Ok

Thanked by 2Kebab neverain
  • What's going on with Cloudflare these days? Recently they seem to have issues every other day.

• @yusra said:
    What's going on with Cloudflare these days? Recently they seem to have issues every other day.

Death I hope.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yusra said:
    What's going on with Cloudflare these days? Recently they seem to have issues every other day.

Maybe somebody tasted blood after the last CF outage.
    If you see the core systems fail if one DC has a power outage, maybe that certain someone was looking for more weak points.

I mean CF is a big target anyway.

• They don't deserve these but maybe it's better to have those troubles because they can solve the issues and they are getting better and better.

• @kait said:

@yusra said:

Death I hope.

Still exepcting? :D I believe CF reached that market share and size which called "to big to fail". Gov infra relies on cf. If needed, cf could be spoon fed with pure gold from gov. Unlimited funds and laxed regulation.

• @LTniger said: Still exepcting? :D I believe CF reached that market share and size which called "to big to fail". Gov infra relies on cf. If needed, cf could be spoon fed with pure gold from gov. Unlimited funds and laxed regulation.

Not expecting, just hoping. In my eyes "to big to fail" = not enough alternatives which makes it some sort of monopoly. And the Internet is getting more and more centralized which is bad.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @kait said:

@LTniger said: Still exepcting? :D I believe CF reached that market share and size which called "to big to fail". Gov infra relies on cf. If needed, cf could be spoon fed with pure gold from gov. Unlimited funds and laxed regulation.

Not expecting, just hoping. In my eyes "to big to fail" = not enough alternatives which makes it some sort of monopoly. And the Internet is getting more and more centralized which is bad.

Well, once you become big enough, it is a lot easier to destroy competition by buying it out, non-stop inovation and lobying. In this case only users decide how long cf will stay relevant, not competition.

• @LTniger said: In this case only users decide how long cf will stay relevant

Oh yeah I know, that is why I always blame consumers instead of capitalism or whatever else people blame stuff on.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • I’m doing my part to ensure Cloudflare monopoly

• @emgh said:
    I’m doing my part to ensure Cloudflare monopoly

Thanked by 2emgh Erisa