Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What brand of server do you like the most?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What brand of server do you like the most?

CloudNinjasCloudNinjas Member, Patron Provider

This one is just for fun. What brand of server is your favorite?

What brand of server is your favorite?
  1. What brand of server is your favorite?90 votes
    1. HPE
      10.00%
    2. Dell
      28.89%
    3. Supermicro
      47.78%
    4. Lenovo
        4.44%
    5. White Box - No Brand
        8.89%

Comments

• I have used supermicro all of my life, and business.

• You forgot some vendors with imo notable share: IBM, Fujitsu and maybe Cisco (even though this is just for routing servers).

• CloudNinjasCloudNinjas Member, Patron Provider

I thought about adding Cisco... probably should have.

• Supermicro

• Difficult one. From what I've used, HP is the most consistent in quality, but quality isn't that high - lots of issues and quirks. In the period I've used them, getting them delivered on time was a real pain in the *ss. I love Dell, but they've had some series that were crap. The other ones however were fantastic with a low amount of (individual) issues. I've ordered quite a few in my time and I can't recall any order being delivered late.

The SuperMicro's that I've used worked OK, but that weren't that many, and I prefer the "white box" (build-your-own-stuff) the last couple of years... but that's mainly based on budget. Otherwise I'd probably use Dell.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • Dell. Well built. Fujitsu brand and huawey servers also nice.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

We only use Dell servers/blades these days - iDrac works well and very reliable.

• Always a big fan of Supermicro. They simply just work and they dont hide firmware updates behind a support paywall. Dell is also very good. Idrac and build quality is nice. QCT/OCP is also good but sometimes youre left with little to no documentation or firmware updates.
    HPE is dogwater. Sometimes i like iLO other times i hate it so much i rather send the damn thing down the river.

AsRack is also good. The gigabyte rack servers seem decent but yet to experience them yet.

• DELL Poweredge saves every life.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Dell for reliability, and Supermicro for customization.
    Dell does seem to perform better for some reason over exact same spec'd Supermicro gear.

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I have two Supermicro’s and they are amazingly stable and reliable servers. And I love their IPMI interface!

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@SmartHost said:
    Dell does seem to perform better for some reason over exact same spec'd Supermicro gear.

~ SMARTHOST

Just don't restart the Dell..... Might take 30minutes to start back up. :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@SmartHost said:

~ SMARTHOST

If I want to restart a server, I do it as soon as I enter the office, before reading emails or filling water bottle.
    I also optimized the startup sequence by disabling useless features such as PXE, iDRAC, CD-ROM, DHCP.
    This way, the server would be ready when I'm ready to initiate the experiment scenario.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@SmartHost said:

~ SMARTHOST

Yes, fortunately don't need restart them all too often! ;-)

~ SMARTHOST

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@SmartHost said:

~ SMARTHOST

Meanwhile the DL980G7 that take a solid and sturdy 30mins before the BIOS splash appears. Another 10mins for the HPE stuff and OPROMs to go through. Luckily it likes to reboot itself :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I don't care server brand, as long as it offers enough PCIe slots.
    I build high performance content routers out of servers.
    If a server can take 4~8x dual-port ConnectX-6 cards all running at full speed, that's what I'm after.
    So far all my selections have been Supermicro, but I'm open to other brands.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

For data centers depends mainly on service contracts. Any manufacturer is suitable, but some models and components may have glitches. Dell from my experience give me less troubles but this only my experience.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

We prefer HP for the stability , as weve always used HP i was using HP before i started in the hosting industry also so im quite biased towards HP , but we are starting to move towards to Supermicro ,

• Dell for support and parts. Supermicro for custom server.

• Huawei

• the one that gives the cheapest and most stable vps

• sivesive Member, Host Rep

I think Supermicro keeps closest to the most generic implementations so I end up using them for some E/m/ATX motherboards or chassis. But I think a lot of people here end up building their own so that we can use the most generic and widely compatible components together. Additionally say after 3-4 years you want to resell your hardware to make upgrades. Its pretty difficult to sell whole systems from a system integrator and you cannot sell odd form factor motherboards quickly and you have a limited enterprise audience of people who are buying for failed components.

• CloudNinjasCloudNinjas Member, Patron Provider

Lot of Supermicro love. :)