Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMS to China
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMS to China

rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Does anyone know what happens to SMS sent to Chinese cell phones? They seem to be blocked by the Chinese operators. I assumed it might be due to the content, but tried sending just "code: 6600" from US, EU, Russia for example, and none of the SMS were received by the client.

Comments

• Many things get blocked in China. Use Alibaba Clouds Message Service to send SMS, if it's a notification e.g. ;-)

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • 6600 has 6 and four digits which they might interpret as 64, hence censored

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited November 2023

I guess you tried to send SMS to Chinese cell phones from an International phone number like +1/+49/+7, if so, it could be blocked by Chinese operators by default.

Starting about 1.5 years ago, the government began requiring operators to block incoming international SMS and calls by default on the grounds of "Anti-Fraud", users need to apply to enable these "features" manually if necessary.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@World said:
    I guess you tried to send SMS to Chinese cell phones from an International phone number like +1/+49/+7, if so, it could be blocked by Chinese operators by default.

Starting about 1.5 years ago, the government began requiring operators to block incoming international SMS and calls by default on the grounds of "Anti-Fraud", users need to apply to enable these "features" manually if necessary.

I think you are right. Because early we can send SMS without any problems.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

International postal mail is still working in China.
    You can verify customer address by sending them a post card.

Thanked by 2emgh sayem314
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

Some Providers actually do that, pretty cheap, considering ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$ and the letter is just 0.80$.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Neoon said: Some Providers actually do that, pretty cheap, considering ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$ and the letter is just 0.80$.

Really?! How long does it usually take to verify a user by sending a letter?

• @jmaxwell said:
    6600 has 6 and four digits which they might interpret as 64, hence censored

This is absolutely a real good answer for these Chinese people.

Thanked by 1Void
    edited November 2023

@yusra said:

@Neoon said: Some Providers actually do that, pretty cheap, considering ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$ and the letter is just 0.80$.

No idea, HostEurope does this though.
    They send you silently a welcome letter.

If it can't be delivered and gets returned, you get an angry email.
    You have about 7 days to fix your address or your contracts will be terminated.

I made a typo in the postcode, so yea.

Thanked by 2yoursunny sillycat
  • @yusra said:

@Neoon said: Some Providers actually do that, pretty cheap, considering ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$ and the letter is just 0.80$.

Really! Google uses it to verify a business address

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Neoon said:
    ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$

@Cloudie paid €1500 to RIPE and requested 200 ASNs in the past year.
    Each ASN includes an ID verification.
    RIPE paid $4000 in ID verifications.
    Net loss for RIPE: $2500.

Thanked by 1sillycat
    edited November 2023

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:
    ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$

@Cloudie paid €1500 to RIPE and requested 200 ASNs in the past year.
    Each ASN includes an ID verification.
    RIPE paid $4000 in ID verifications.
    Net loss for RIPE: $2500.

Nah, as far as I know, you have to upload a valid ID if you register for an ASN.
    However, this is not going to be a in person or video call thing.

Just upload stuff, check stuff.
    Post office here charges like 30$ for in person ID verification.

Surely its way cheaper this way, even Banks use automated methods these days without Video Calls.
    However I doubt that its less than sending someone a letter.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Every country has its own legislation, so where possible, any provider should not violate it. The same way international offline business works, and I don't think online business should be any different. There was a time when there were virtually no laws on the internet (early 2000), but those times are gone and they are not coming back.

• @Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Some Providers actually do that, pretty cheap, considering ID Verification easily can cost 10-30$ and the letter is just 0.80$.

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

No it doesn’t, I have a contract with one of those providers similar to onfido. They charge 0.6€ per verification

@Stradale said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

No it doesn’t, I have a contract with one of those providers similar to onfido. They charge 0.6€ per verification

Pretty cheap, cheaper than I expected it to be.
    If you send letters in bulk as company you should get it cheaper too, 0.8$ is just the retail price here.