Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to get a ssl cerficate and install it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to get a ssl cerficate and install it?

edited November 2023 in Help

I recently got a VPS. I already installed the panel and for domain SSL certificates, it's possible to do it in the panel.

However, when i try to access the panel, you know those bunch of numbers called ip address, there's no SSL certificate for it. How can I install an SSL certificate on the ip address?

Comments

• edited November 2023

You can't get a TLS certificate for an IP address (unless you're a huge corporation)

edit: Actually now that I look it up, it might 'only' be a few hundred dollars.

• saobilinsaobilin Member
    edited November 2023

zerossl can provide 3 months free ip certificate.

• so the ip address that i use to access the panel will always not be 'https'?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@cheapsslweb is the only active SSL certificate seller on this forum.
    Would they do one for you?

• Most control panels will let you use the hostname for the vps to login. That way you can set an SSL certificate for the hostname and access your control panel over https

To do so you would need to...

Set your hostname to a domain that you would like to use for the vps.

For example server.pikachupokemon.com

Set that where you purchased your vps in their control panel and set it on the server if you need to using ssh

Then set in your DNS for server.pikachupokemon.com as an A record to point to the IP address

Then if your selected control panel offers SSL via Letsencrypt which I should imagine is available you can create a free SSL certificate for the hostname and then you are all set.

Other requirements may be required consult with the documentation for your control panel.

Thanked by 1nyamenk
  • You can buy a proper domain for about a dollar (USD) for the first year; do that if you are learning, it will make life much easier.

• sivesive Member, Host Rep

I say the best way to learn is to follow a nginx config guide and point the config at the pub/priv keys and /var/www/index.html or something in order to learn how these things work behind the scene. Most people get a 3rd party SSL cert from LetsEncrypt because SSL certs arent difficult to generate and thus are free, but they are difficult to insure.

• maybe you can use Cloudflare

• Since you are trying to issue an SSL certificate with an IP address,
    Let's Encrypt cannot issue certificates by IP address. (ZeroSSL can be issued)

However, a good solution is to assign some kind of domain name for control panel access and then issue an SSL certificate.

• you can install certbot with snap. cerbot will auto renew cert when close to expiry.
    https://certbot.eff.org/

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@MallocVoidstar said:
    You can't get a TLS certificate for an IP address (unless you're a huge corporation)

0 at zerossl

• apt install -y snapd && snap install core && snap install --classic certbot && ln -sf /snap/bin/certbot /usr/bin/certbot
    snap refresh core && apparmor_parser -r /var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/snap.certbot.* && certbot --nginx --no-redirect --register-unsafely-without-email

2 lines

• @FatGrizzly said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

0 at zerossl

after 90 days can it be renewed for free ?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jmaxwell said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

0 at zerossl

after 90 days can it be renewed for free ?

Yup

Thanked by 1Void
  • If you use CloudFlare (as I saw in another thread) then SSL is automatically provided by CloudFlare and you don't need to do anything. Although this SSL is only between user and CloudFlare and not CloudFlare and your server but still good enough.

• @nulled said:
    You can buy a proper domain for about a dollar (USD) for the first year; do that if you are learning, it will make life much easier.

I'm using a proper domain. The ip address isn't 'https" but the domain is

• @lowendclient said:
    apt install -y snapd && snap install core && snap install --classic certbot && ln -sf /snap/bin/certbot /usr/bin/certbot
    snap refresh core && apparmor_parser -r /var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/snap.certbot.* && certbot --nginx --no-redirect --register-unsafely-without-email

2 lines

Is this for domain or ip address?

• @pikachupokemon said:

@lowendclient said:
    apt install -y snapd && snap install core && snap install --classic certbot && ln -sf /snap/bin/certbot /usr/bin/certbot

2 lines

Is this for domain or ip address?

Both, it depends on what you configured in /etc/nginx/site-enabled