Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί IoT and Micro colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IoT and Micro colo

jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2023 in General

Would there be any interest in Colo for IoT and micro servers if we came up with a price point for this service?

We are talking low wattage microservers and IoT devices here, but with gigabit port speed unmetered.

Micro Colo
  1. Would you purchase?56 votes
    1. Yes
      66.07%
    2. No
      14.29%
    3. Where do I sign up???
      19.64%
Β«1

Comments

• You add two more options. Where is it located and what is the cost of the question.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Havent come up with a price yet, curious if interest first. Location is our dc in Ohio www.microtronixdc.com

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2023

I'd like to colo a smart light bulb.
    I can turn it on/off remotely on my Alexa.
    DC hands are freaking out when the light winks at them.
    Budget is $69 per admission to mental hospital.

Thanked by 2emgh xxsl

@yoursunny said:

For the right money you can Colo your toothbrush for all I care 🀣🀣🀣

• @yoursunny said: I'd like to colo a smart light bulb. I can turn it on/off remotely on my Alexa.

That's an interesting idea. Co-location at the local power plant for the apartment. :smiley:

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Did this before for 30usd/m with a now bankrupt company and ended up loosing my server. If your getting into this id view it as a good thing having an exit plan in place in the event of unforseen bankruptcy. Ie joint public agreement with another provider in same dc to handle hardware returns etc. Basically the goal is to avoid clients having to sue the dc to prove ownership....

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@james50a said:
    Did this before for 30usd/m with a now bankrupt company and ended up loosing my server. If your getting into this id view it as a good thing having an exit plan in place in the event of unforseen bankruptcy. Ie joint public agreement with another provider in same dc to handle hardware returns etc. Basically the goal is to avoid clients having to sue the dc to prove ownership....

We own the dc, its ours, don't follow your comment πŸ€”

• @jfreak53 on google streetview this place looks like a polebarn. do you have generators - i see a kohler ATS box on the side of the township building, cooling, redundancy? i dont see anything on the building that makes this look like it would be a legit datacenter company and not just a large (township?) garage with racks in it.

@unsafetypin said:
    @jfreak53 on google streetview this place looks like a polebarn. do you have generators - i see a kohler ATS box on the side of the township building, cooling, redundancy? i dont see anything on the building that makes this look like it would be a legit datacenter company and not just a large (township?) garage with racks in it.

Well there's your problem, you're on google streets view instead of actually checking out our site πŸ˜‚

First off, please look a bit closer, a pole barn is metal siding, with exception of an old addon in the back used for warehousing, this building is block construction. Second, yes, it used to be warehouse inside, old building used by township. We are slowly but surely converting it one 1500 sq ft room at a time.

If you wanna go on street view then check out lifelines new dc in Fort Wayne, old grocery store converted and gutted. Its not in a very secure part of town, and their security is horrible for the building. No genies, and yet they have 3000 sq ft rented to two local hospitals, promedica being one. It also does not look like a dc, I know, I've toured it.

No, we do not have any genies yet, I've been very upfront on this when asked. The grid is built for it, and they are slated for next year.

But yes, we have redundant cooling, and our very own designed system for it, check out page it explains our design in great detail. Better than old google street view pics πŸ˜‚

Yes, we have redundant fiber into the building, and have pre-slated 25 lines into the building just not all lit up yet. One route goes north to Toledo and another south to wapak, and another to Columbus.

What exactly do you expect a dc to look like? Block building seems the look to me πŸ€”

I mean, we aren't contracting with the Pentagon here πŸ˜‚

We've been in business since 2001, and in the hosting industry for 15 of those years, just recently opened our own dc. We aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Don't truly understood the comment, you don't wanna Colo you don't have to, I was simply seeing if there was interest for something new.

Our dc is good enough for @smarthost πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ thanks Shawn for sticking with us during the growing pains!

Thanked by 2BasToTheMax Peppery9
  • @jfreak53 this is a pretty neat concept for a startup datacenter without burning down the bank account or going massively in debt. pretty cool. i'll check out the other one you mentioned too.

@unsafetypin said:
    @jfreak53 this is a pretty neat concept for a startup datacenter without burning down the bank account or going massively in debt. pretty cool. i'll check out the other one you mentioned too.

All bought and paid for :smile:

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@jfreak53 said:
    Havent come up with a price yet, curious if interest first. Location is our dc in Ohio www.microtronixdc.com

May i suggest adding more "On-Site" Pictures or doing a short video tour? I think that would go a long way towards interested parties.

Especially since you appear to have some interesting restrictions even for full racks such as "no unattended access".

Thanked by 1eezcloud

@SGraf said:

@jfreak53 said:

May i suggest adding more "On-Site" Pictures or doing a short video tour? I think that would go a long way towards interested parties.

Especially since you appear to have some interesting restrictions even for full racks such as "no unattended access".

Well, it's a lights-out facility, so yes, no unattended access to the facility without staff, gotta have security. Our offices are a block away, and we allow access to any colo customer with 48-hour notice or emergency access in certain cases. However, please read further, full-rack rentals get their own code to the building and their rack key, 24/7/365 access if you contract a full-rack :smile:

We also provide TenantOS private IPMI access now for Dedis and colo customers. However, for IoT and Microservers might not have IPMI ports, we do have on-site KVM free, fair usage.

Working on a livestream event now, if @yoursunny would answer my DM :lol:

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@jfreak53 said:

@SGraf said:

@jfreak53 said:

Well, it's a lights-out facility, so yes, no unattended access to the facility without staff, gotta have security. Our offices are a block away, and we allow access to any colo customer with 48-hour notice or emergency access in certain cases. However, please read further, full-rack rentals get their own code to the building and their rack key, 24/7/365 access if you contract a full-rack :smile:

We also provide TenantOS private IPMI access now for Dedis and colo customers. However, for IoT and Microservers might not have IPMI ports, we do have on-site KVM free, fair usage.

Working on a livestream event now, if @yoursunny would answer my DM :lol:

I think just taking a few pictures and doing a gallery or something (imgur/...) is also fine.

Regarding the access i was just quoting: https://www.microtronixdc.com/products/colocation

We require that new datacenter installs be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. After the initial install has been completed, you may request access at any time using the support/billing ticket system. We do ask for a 1 hour in advance notice just in case we’re at lunch, etc.

I still do not see anything lower on that page that would state otherwise.

Regarding the "lights out datacenter" comment. I'm deployed in some "lights out datacenters" that have unattended access for any "locking" type of rack. Meaning they feature individually locking compartments for quarter/half/third/fullrack. I have also sent you something in addition as inspiration for your iot project via dm.

@SGraf said: I still do not see anything lower on that page that would state otherwise.

Sorry, its on the billing panel page where it says full-rack 24/7 access, we are working on a new design and content for the main page, just haven't finished yet, too much going on:

https://clients.microtronix-tech.com/index.php?rp=/store/colocation

We'll get that updated as obviously, it needs more info, sorry. But yes, full-rack customers get 24x7x365 access. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll get it fixed :smile:

• His tagline says it all for me.... I'd love to do business with you!

Matthew 6:25-27

Thanked by 2jfreak53 eezcloud

@verl20 said:
    His tagline says it all for me.... I'd love to do business with you!

Matthew 6:25-27

Thank you! :smile:

@SGraf said: I still do not see anything lower on that page that would state otherwise.

Just fixed it, thanks for pointing out :smile:

• I think having the option available would set you apart from the crowded market a bit. I've had customers look for colos for their NUC type devices and from my research, that was pretty far and few between. @DataIdeas-Josh is the only guy here that I know that offers such a thing. I'm not colo'd with him but I do have a Pi rented from him and I'm happy customer.

@Don_Keedic said:
    I think having the option available would set you apart from the crowded market a bit. I've had customers look for colos for their NUC type devices and from my research, that was pretty far and few between. @DataIdeas-Josh is the only guy here that I know that offers such a thing. I'm not colo'd with him but I do have a Pi rented from him and I'm happy customer.

We are actually looking at building a pi solution for renting dedi pi's, working on it still.

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@jfreak53 said: We are actually looking at building a pi solution for renting dedi pi's, working on it still.

You could take a look at this:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uptimelab/compute-blade
    https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/compute-blade-for-the-raspberry-pi-compute-module/

Up to 20 into a single U of rackspace.

@BasToTheMax said:

@jfreak53 said: We are actually looking at building a pi solution for renting dedi pi's, working on it still.

You could take a look at this:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uptimelab/compute-blade
    https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/compute-blade-for-the-raspberry-pi-compute-module/

Up to 20 into a single U of rackspace.

Yeah, we've been looking at that, waiting for them to go live away from Kickstarter. I've offered the dev to buy a bunch and use our DC as a publicity stunt for him and his devices, and use case in a DC, but he has yet to answer me.

I missed the initial funding period or I would of funded it and gotten it setup already, these things are the bomb!

As soon as they go live, Microtronix will be offering them in our racks for rent :lol:

• @jfreak53 said:

@Don_Keedic said:
    I think having the option available would set you apart from the crowded market a bit. I've had customers look for colos for their NUC type devices and from my research, that was pretty far and few between. @DataIdeas-Josh is the only guy here that I know that offers such a thing. I'm not colo'd with him but I do have a Pi rented from him and I'm happy customer.

We are actually looking at building a pi solution for renting dedi pi's, working on it still.

He's constantly sold out (I've been trying to upgrade to a Pi4) so I couldn't imagine that you'd be any less successful in that regard.

For your pricing I'd maybe think about offering 100meg/250meg/500meg/1gig tiers for affordability. Some folks might just want to colo their media server with them being the only user. 100megs would be plenty and if it's affordable colo - it'd be more attractive to them than hosting it at home.

• maybe GSM modules to have your own sending and receiving sms service... i see a use

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@jfreak53 said:

:o

What's your ASN?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

I feel offended that you haven't sent me the light bulb yet. :lol:

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    What's your ASN?

The only thing that has stopped us from taking the plunge on pi's is I'm still figuring out POE and m.2 with instant installs. At pi pricing its gotta be easy like VM's. PXE is simple enough. I'm halfway there with the rest. Once I finish figuring out those things, fully automated Pi's are coming 😁

The blades are perfect, if he launches them babies before we figure it out I'm buying him out πŸ˜‚

I feel offended that you haven't sent me the light bulb yet

I offered @yoursunny a sweet light bulb deal and he turned me down πŸ˜”πŸ˜‚

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Can you clarify what you mean by IoT ?
    Do you mean running something like NodeRed / HomeAssitant ?
    I am already running NodeRed very reliably on my remote proxmox, but many home automation people would much rather be independant of the internet, so run everything at home on a RPi.
    If we are talking about you running the above, then it will definitely need a VPN connection as quite a few IoT devices need broadcast capabilities etc.
    Also based on your location, the responsiveness of IoT devices could suffer.

@msatt said:
    Can you clarify what you mean by IoT ?
    Do you mean running something like NodeRed / HomeAssitant ?
    I am already running NodeRed very reliably on my remote proxmox, but many home automation people would much rather be independant of the internet, so run everything at home on a RPi.
    If we are talking about you running the above, then it will definitely need a VPN connection as quite a few IoT devices need broadcast capabilities etc.
    Also based on your location, the responsiveness of IoT devices could suffer.

Depends on the customer, I can see Raspberry Pi's being colo'd, as well we can offer microservers since they use less wattage and less space.

Its really up to the LET community to tell me, what do you want to colocate with us :smile:

• remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

I dream of finding a company that hosts raspberry in an optimized way.
    I've already looked in Europe and there are no good offers.
    It often costs the price of a much more powerful dedicated server.

And I don't understand why, given how compact it is and how little energy it consumes.
    I'd really like to see someone industrialize this :)
    For a hundred bucks with storage, it's a great setup!