Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with enough to handle 1-2 connections of 1Gigabit internet speeds with a Wireguard setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with enough to handle 1-2 connections of 1Gigabit internet speeds with a Wireguard setup

bbchucksbbchucks Member
edited October 2023 in Providers

Hello
I'm looking to connect my home connection that has speeds of approx 1 to 1.5Gigabit, with Wireguard. Are there low cost but reliable VPS that will support speeds of 1Gigabit thru wireguard? I don't need much space or ram but I believe CPU is what wireguard uses.

I tried two VPS this week and one only gave 300Mbps while another got close to 700Mbps.

Looking to pay for a full year, hopefully i can try it for a month first.
Thanks!

Comments

• Highly dependent on location

• USA/East Coast

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2023

You can run wireguard on 128MB KVM.
    What matters is the CPU and Uplink.

Surely you can get a VPS for cheap but the uplink is going to be shared, so nobody is going to guarantee you that speed at that price.

Realistically you looking at around 500Mbit or less you can peak sometimes, if you get a cheap vps.
    However you can't max it out 24/7.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What region? Pushing gigabit over a VPN to south america or china on a small VPS isn't realistic if you want it to be stable.

You might be CPU limited if you try to run a VPN on a cheap plan, some throttle or deprioritize CPU for the cheapest plans.

Unlikely you'll get a trial for a VPS.

• @Neoon said:

Surely you can get a VPS for cheap but the uplink is going to be shared, so nobody is going to guarantee you that speed at that price.

Realistically you looking at around 500Mbit or less you can peak sometimes, if you get a cheap vps.

Thanks, I definitely won't be maxing it out, we're just a household of 3 with some light streaming.

• @bbchucks said:

@Neoon said:

Thanks, I definitely won't be maxing it out, we're just a household of 3 with some light streaming.

Then why do you need gigabit speed? And why do you even need wireguard?

• Hetzner Cloud out of Ashburn for $4.07 a month is probably your best bet. 20TB outgoing, 10gb uplink, Epyc CPUs

• @zorker said:
    Hetzner Cloud out of Ashburn for $4.07 a month is probably your best bet. 20TB outgoing, 10gb uplink, Epyc CPUs

thanks, going to give them a try!

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Our premium VDS is unmetered 1G connections on 10G node link.

• Recommend 4 CPU cores if you plan to push full gbit traffic

• yusrayusra Member
    edited November 2023

I have multiple 10Gbps VPSs from @kuroit in multiple locations and interestingly, I also use them as v2ray and Wireguard servers; have no issue reaching +2000mbps and consuming terabytes of traffic.

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

@bbchucks said:
    Hello
    I'm looking to connect my home connection that has speeds of approx 1 to 1.5Gigabit, with Wireguard. Are there low cost but reliable VPS that will support speeds of 1Gigabit thru wireguard? I don't need much space or ram but I believe CPU is what wireguard uses.

I tried two VPS this week and one only gave 300Mbps while another got close to 700Mbps.

Looking to pay for a full year, hopefully i can try it for a month first.
    Thanks!

We just posted BF Sale Sneak Peak on our Discord and both locations have 10Gbps network and these are annual deals only:

Locations:
    West Midlands, UK (E5-2690 v4, SSD on RAID10, 10Gbps)
    Los Angeles, USA (E5-2697A v4, NVMe on RAID1, 10Gbps)

[BF SALE] 1vCore/1GB RAM/15GB SSD - £16.00 GBP/Year
    https://my.kuroit.com/store/sale-offers/bf-sale-1vcore1gb-ram15gb-ssd

[BF SALE] 1vCore/2GB RAM/25GB SSD - £20.00 GBP/Year
    https://my.kuroit.com/store/sale-offers/bf-sale-1vcore2gb-ram25gb-ssd

[BF SALE] 2vCore/4GB RAM/50GB SSD - £36.00 GBP/Year
    https://my.kuroit.com/store/sale-offers/bf-sale-2vcore4gb-ram50gb-ssd

[BF SALE] 3vCore/6GB RAM/75GB SSD - £54.00 GBP/Year
    https://my.kuroit.com/store/sale-offers/bf-sale-3vcore6gb-ram75gb-ssd

[BF SALE] 4vCore/8GB RAM/100GB SSD - £70.00 GBP/Year
    https://my.kuroit.com/store/sale-offers/bf-sale-4vcore8gb-ram100gb-ssd