Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brute Force Attacks from ServerMania using Cogent IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brute Force Attacks from ServerMania using Cogent IPs

KrisKris Member
edited October 2023 in General

AlertLogic is going crazy today, and it's due to ServerMania trying to brute force VPNs and honeypots.

Looks like they've ruined the reputation of their existing hoarded IPs and now are using Cogent direct IPs.

Client has been hit the entire day from seven different Cogent /24's on 38.x all tracing back to our favorite AS36352.

I've blocked the ASN, nothing of use comes from here. Just interesting now they're using Cogent IPs, and sure seem to have let someone rotate proxies, etc. through many Cogent subnets.

Nothing surprising and par for the course, especially SM, just interesting they're ruining the reputation of Cogent IPs now.

EDIT: Another one from 38.170.95.6. They sure have a lot of Cogent space to destroy.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Send abuse complaints to Cogent - as far as I know, they are very strict in dealing with such activity, however you won't receive any non-automated replies from them unfortunately.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@tentor said:
    Send abuse complaints to Cogent - as far as I know, they are very strict in dealing with such activity, however you won't receive any non-automated replies from them unfortunately.

Cogent, for its part, does massive SPAM by sending weekly emails with offers and what to see, it's not a classic campaign to which you can unsubscribe, but the only way is to block the sender:)

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@tentor said:

Cogent also charges some of its client-groups an an abuse handling fee. Per abuse item.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Cogent charges abuse $15 or $25 if i remember correctly