Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What license would fit this use case?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What license would fit this use case?

I have an open source license question for a project of mine that I am planning on opensourcing.

This was born as a blogging platform that I run for a little while as a paid/managed service until I joined Brella (my current employer), then I shut it down.

More recently I picked it up again and made some changes so to make it easier to create simple websites, not necessarily blogs, and was planning to relaunch it as a website builder with some AI features, however I decided to pivot soon after to something else (a managed Kubernetes service) since the market of website builders is too saturated.

So, I am planning to opensource DynaSite in the near future, but I want to choose a license that allows self hosting for personal or commercial use as long as the app is not used in any service to sell it to others.

In other words, I want to forbid others from creating a hosting service based on this app, just in case in the future I might decide to go back to my previous plans and launch it as a managed service.

What would be the best license for this kind of scenario? Thanks.

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep

AGPL or the Mongo License

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @nik said:
    AGPL or the Mongo License

Thanks! Will read more about these. I am ashamed to admit that I am not too familiar with the various licenses.

• jcnjcn Member

IANAL but you are looking for something like the Elastic license which Elastic used to prevent AWS from hosting their own version of Elasticsearch. https://www.elastic.co/licensing/elastic-license

Many people consider this to be a particularly crappy move and it also led to Amazon creating Open search as a fork of the last version of elastic search that was more permissibly licensed.

The AGPL just ensures that any modifications to software that you are hosting as a service be released publicly as well, but doesn’t prevent other companies from offering hosted versions of the software.

Thanked by 2martheen 0xC7
  • @jcn said:
    IANAL but you are looking for something like the Elastic license which Elastic used to prevent AWS from hosting their own version of Elasticsearch. https://www.elastic.co/licensing/elastic-license

Many people consider this to be a particularly crappy move and it also led to Amazon creating Open search as a fork of the last version of elastic search that was more permissibly licensed.

The AGPL just ensures that any modifications to software that you are hosting as a service be released publicly as well, but doesn’t prevent other companies from offering hosted versions of the software.

And that's exactly what I want to prevent

• What about the business ethics and marketing? Would a customer necessarily choose a hindered and practically closed-source platform with their data? Why your app and hosting service over the many others that are free and allow easy data portability?

• gemini_geekgemini_geek Member
    edited October 2023

what tech stack you are using? just find similar keywords in github and check what others/competition is doing using your tech stack and functionality

• @cu_olly said:
    What about the business ethics and marketing? Would a customer necessarily choose a hindered and practically closed-source platform with their data? Why your app and hosting service over the many others that are free and allow easy data portability?

Closed source? I said I will open source it so others can use it, I just don't want anyone to make a business out of it since I might do that later myself

@gemini_geek said:
    what tech stack you are using? just find similar keywords in github and check what others/competition is doing using your tech stack and functionality

The app is written in Rails

• @vitobotta said: Closed source? I said I will open source it so others can use it, I just don't want anyone to make a business out of it since I might do that later myself

in that case mongodb type license is best bet, also consider the happening around terraform vs opentofu

• @gemini_geek said:

@vitobotta said: Closed source? I said I will open source it so others can use it, I just don't want anyone to make a business out of it since I might do that later myself

in that case mongodb type license is best bet, also consider the happening around terraform vs opentofu

Admittedly I haven't followed the Terraform thing.... I guess I need to do some reading

• I think the Elastic license would suit you well, this part seems to be what you are after:

You may not provide the software to third parties as a hosted or managed service, where the service provides users with access to any substantial set of the features or functionality of the software.

• @rcy026 said:
    I think the Elastic license would suit you well, this part seems to be what you are after:

You may not provide the software to third parties as a hosted or managed service, where the service provides users with access to any substantial set of the features or functionality of the software.

Yeah that sounds perfect, I think I am going with this one. Thanks!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@vitobotta said: Admittedly I haven't followed the Terraform thing.... I guess I need to do some reading

Me, too. I found this to be a good writeup:

https://lkravi.medium.com/terraform-vs-opentofu-b4d2b519b3fa

Thanked by 2vitobotta 0xC7
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

@jcn said:

When you write a wrapper around the AGPL software, you have to release the source code of that one as well. That means when you are simply building a panel with billing and stuff around the open source software you have to release everyhing, which is a big no-no for most people. This is also why AGPL is completely banned within Google.

• if you expect people to contribute PR then this is how you should go MIT -> Mongo like -> Elastic , you will need a roadmap at what point/feature you want to change the license from MIT to anything else, usually its done around multitenancy feature if applicable