Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does cPanel/Cloudlinux support DDR5 Memory?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does cPanel/Cloudlinux support DDR5 Memory?

Hey, i want to get a new server with DDR5 memory, but i do not know how the compatibility is for cPanel or Cloudlinux 8 using DDR5 memory chips.

Anyone using those kind of setups and can share their experience regards known issues or stabillity of the system in production?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Check if the board is compatible with the Operating System you're after, or their upstream.

• @Clouvider said:
    Check if the board is compatible with the Operating System you're after, or their upstream.

I tried look for info, i didnt manage to find alot of info regards DDR5 and Redhat/Almalinux/Rockylinux regards those support or no support.

Also for example cPanel does not state DDR3/4/5 memory just the min and rec memory to have.
    So i wonder if anyone here tried or using DDR5 and have experience with it.

• The OS and software doesn't address the hardware directly. There are several "translation" layers that translate the differences of voltage in the hardware, into bits, then into assembler, etc.

So yeah, both CloudLinux and CPanel will work with DDR5.

• DDR5 will work just fine. cPanel doesn't care what kind of RAM you use, only that it's available to use in the OS. CloudLinux supports the same hardware as RHEL/CentOS, so if you can install/boot into the OS you're good to go. To ensure maximum compatibility, you'd probably want to go with CloudLinux 8+ as it supports recent hardware (Ryzen/EPYC/Xeon/Intel 12xxx+ CPUs).

As far as stability/reliability is concerned, keep the system cool and the BIOS/OS/Firmware up to date and you should be good.

• @Shalaman said:
    DDR5 will work just fine. cPanel doesn't care what kind of RAM you use, only that it's available to use in the OS. CloudLinux supports the same hardware as RHEL/CentOS, so if you can install/boot into the OS you're good to go. To ensure maximum compatibility, you'd probably want to go with CloudLinux 8+ as it supports recent hardware (Ryzen/EPYC/Xeon/Intel 12xxx+ CPUs).

As far as stability/reliability is concerned, keep the system cool and the BIOS/OS/Firmware up to date and you should be good.

With Ryzen i had tons or instabillity issues and system freezes in multiplie servers, i had to move to Xeon CPU's but wonder if the same will happen with RAM.
    But i think the issue with the Ryzen related to Motherboard bug, after i cancel two servers with Ryzen i manage to find few forum post in the motherboard company ASRock regards same issue with system freeze with linux/windows with no BIOS update to fix it :sweat_smile:

• fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

@Advicerxyz said:

@Shalaman said:
    DDR5 will work just fine. cPanel doesn't care what kind of RAM you use, only that it's available to use in the OS. CloudLinux supports the same hardware as RHEL/CentOS, so if you can install/boot into the OS you're good to go. To ensure maximum compatibility, you'd probably want to go with CloudLinux 8+ as it supports recent hardware (Ryzen/EPYC/Xeon/Intel 12xxx+ CPUs).

With Ryzen i had tons or instabillity issues and system freezes in multiplie servers, i had to move to Xeon CPU's but wonder if the same will happen with RAM.
    But i think the issue with the Ryzen related to Motherboard bug, after i cancel two servers with Ryzen i manage to find few forum post in the motherboard company ASRock regards same issue with system freeze with linux/windows with no BIOS update to fix it :sweat_smile:

We are using ASRock Rack motherboards predominantly with many Ryzen 7950X AM5 / DDR5 cPanel deployments, haven't seen any issues and have been stable. Some early board releases are prone quirks, but latest BIOS update seems to sort things out.

• It works perfectly