Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPXO and DNS Management blocked
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPXO and DNS Management blocked

I acquired a /24 subnet from IPXO a week ago, and during this past week, I worked on setting up. It was only yesterday that I actually started using the IPs.

When attempting to configure rDNS, I received a message stating that DNS Management was blocked, and I was instructed to contact the support team for activation.

I contacted the support team, and they requested reasons, details about the plan in use, and a range of IPs (outside of IPXO) to be analyzed for whether the feature would be approved or not.

Today, I received the decision that my account would be in a trial period for three months. During this time, I won't have access to DNS Management, but they could handle the configurations. However, if there's any report of SPAM within these three months, the feature could be disabled, and all configurations would be deleted.

How can I work under these conditions? A /24 subnet for hosting websites and emails (shared server), and if there's any report of SPAM, the entire range will be affected?

Honestly, there should have been information about the restricted DNS Management on the website. If I had known, I wouldn't have acquired this subnet.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2023

Good. This is a spam prevention method and it's something they have a big problem with. You can work under these conditions by asking them to set reverse DNS records as needed for the first 3 months.

There's an obvious benefit here for you: A slightly increased chance at reputation of rented IPs not being complete trash. Hardly seems worth trading that benefit over a slight inconvenience for 3 months, if your project is serious enough that it warrants a /24 and requires reverse DNS (so email or vanity).

The fact is that reverse DNS is most important for email, and of little to no importance for anything else. If this is a massive inconvenience for you it means you plan to send emails from more than a few of the 256 IPs you just acquired. That's a red flag, and it should be.

• @jar said:
    Good. This is a spam prevention method and it's something they have a big problem with. You can work under these conditions by asking them to set reverse DNS records as needed for the first 3 months.

There's an obvious benefit here for you: A slightly increased chance at reputation of rented IPs not being complete trash. Hardly seems worth trading that benefit over a slight inconvenience for 3 months, if your project is serious enough that it warrants a /24 and requires reverse DNS (so email or vanity).

The fact is that reverse DNS is most important for email, and of little to no importance for anything else. If this is a massive inconvenience for you it means you plan to send emails from more than a few of the 256 IPs you just acquired. That's a red flag, and it should be.

But that's the question - I'm going to use this subnet on a shared server with hundreds of accounts. If they decide to delete the reverse records after the 3 months, the subnet would become useless, and I'd have to change the IP for hundreds of accounts, correct?

edited October 2023

@juniorrrrr said: But that's the question - I'm going to use this subnet on a shared server with hundreds of accounts. If they decide to delete the reverse records after the 3 months, the subnet would become useless, and I'd have to change the IP for hundreds of accounts, correct?

They're only going to decide to do that if you have a spam problem, and if you have a spam problem you're at risk of losing the whole /24 which is going to be more damaging to you than losing reverse DNS. I highly advise reconsidering this path.

By setting the reverse DNS for you for the first 3 months, they'll be able to see more red flags in advance and hopefully prevent a spam problem. But if you have a spam problem without your reverse DNS requests suggesting that you're about to have one, you'll still lose the IP range.

Thanked by 1IPXO
  • @juniorrrrr said:

@jar said:

But that's the question - I'm going to use this subnet on a shared server with hundreds of accounts. If they decide to delete the reverse records after the 3 months, the subnet would become useless, and I'd have to change the IP for hundreds of accounts, correct?

Yes, that's the downside of leasing ip's instead of owning them, you never know when you have to readdress everything.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2023

It's somehow hard and risky to build shared hosting business under those conditions. Not easy to be a new company in this competitive business segment.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2023

mail.baby is the solution for shared hosting.

Works well, while avoiding spam

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @jar said:

@juniorrrrr said: But that's the question - I'm going to use this subnet on a shared server with hundreds of accounts. If they decide to delete the reverse records after the 3 months, the subnet would become useless, and I'd have to change the IP for hundreds of accounts, correct?

They're only going to decide to do that if you have a spam problem, and if you have a spam problem you're at risk of losing the whole /24 which is going to be more damaging to you than losing reverse DNS. I highly advise reconsidering this path.

By setting the reverse DNS for you for the first 3 months, they'll be able to see more red flags in advance and hopefully prevent a spam problem. But if you have a spam problem without your reverse DNS requests suggesting that you're about to have one, you'll still lose the IP range.

I understand the cancellation of the contract in cases where the user deliberately engages in abuse. However, for those of us who work providing VPS, hosting accounts, and similar services, the risk of losing resources or even the entire subnet due to a malicious end-user or a compromised account is something beyond belief.

Consider the perspective of the data center. When an issue like this arises, at most, the problematic IP is null-routed, ensuring that other users who have no connection to the issue are not affected.

To make it clearer, for those of us providing this kind of service, abuse will inevitably occur at some point, and the best we can do is resolve it when happens. However, the risk of having 256 IPs canceled, I can't see that as fair.

Thanked by 2jar emgh

@juniorrrrr said:

@jar said:

I understand the cancellation of the contract in cases where the user deliberately engages in abuse. However, for those of us who work providing VPS, hosting accounts, and similar services, the risk of losing resources or even the entire subnet due to a malicious end-user or a compromised account is something beyond belief.

Consider the perspective of the data center. When an issue like this arises, at most, the problematic IP is null-routed, ensuring that other users who have no connection to the issue are not affected.

To make it clearer, for those of us providing this kind of service, abuse will inevitably occur at some point, and the best we can do is resolve it when happens. However, the risk of having 256 IPs canceled, I can't see that as fair.

That's why I'm advising you to reconsider the path you've chosen. It's a friendly gesture to save you from harm.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@juniorrrrr wherever you are taking your server from all providers provide atleast a /30 or /29 with the server, just use those IP for mail and use IPXO IP for other stuff, that should solve your problem

But if you intend to use the whole /24 for mail, I doubt if IPXO or any IP Provider will allow you to use their IP for mailing, you need to either pay a higher fees and get it from your datacentre or buy your own IP

Thanked by 2BasToTheMax IPXO
  • @HostEONS When you provide a VPS to an end-user, you don't know their intentions. They may set up an email server, which will require rDNS configuration. So, what would be the best approach? Saying, 'I'm sorry, your IP cannot have rDNS; if you need rDNS, we'll have to change your IP.'

The question here is the ability to have the feature. I see it as a basic requirement for full use of the subnet. And this doesn't mean using the entire /24 for email, but rather having the possibility to configure rDNS for any IP within the subnet.

I think an easy way to resolve this would be to announce it before order the subnet or offering subnets with and without DNS management.

edited October 2023

Tbh the best thing to do would be to work with an existing hosting provider to rent you their IPs for this purpose, and have a mutually agreed upon understanding of the events. Not all of us got started by announcing our own IPs, some of us got started with a burstnet VPS with additional IPs rented to go with it.

I’m not unbiased but I’m referencing @qps as someone who is great to rent a server and IPs from for hosting your customers on. There are many others just as willing.

What I’m trying to get across is that your options are not:

1. IPXO
    2. ARIN/RIPE
    3. Give up

IPXO hasn’t even been around that long and almost no one started with their own IP allocations. Hell, you can probably get a better deal by getting a server with a /24 from an established provider.

Thanked by 1qps
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@juniorrrrr said:
    @HostEONS When you provide a VPS to an end-user, you don't know their intentions. They may set up an email server, which will require rDNS configuration. So, what would be the best approach? Saying, 'I'm sorry, your IP cannot have rDNS; if you need rDNS, we'll have to change your IP.'

The question here is the ability to have the feature. I see it as a basic requirement for full use of the subnet. And this doesn't mean using the entire /24 for email, but rather having the possibility to configure rDNS for any IP within the subnet.

I think an easy way to resolve this would be to announce it before order the subnet or offering subnets with and without DNS management.

I understand your frustration, I thought you are just into shared hosting, first of all regarding IPXO they are just a broker and IP Holder give them IP because IPXO makes sure their IP Reputation is maintained.

So IPXO has to be very cautious with new clients, you may not be a spammer or support spammers, but IPXO doesn't know that ... so they have to take precautions to make sure IP Are not abused. You have to try to understand from the perspective of IPXO, without brokers like IPXO you would be paying much higher price to your datacentre.

I've over 12K IP from IPXO and trust me less then 20% of my users have setup RDNS records, so if you are taking a /24 it should not be a big deal, if any user asks for RDNS just take their request and forward it to IPXO and within 3 months if you don't get abuse complains I'm sure @IPXO will enable the DNS Feature. Moreover RDNS is a one time thing, your users won't need to keep changing their RDNS record every now and then unless they are into spamming.

Moreover as @jar suggested even @qps is providing IP at a good price if take server with them.

Thanked by 2BasToTheMax qps
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the mentions. Yes, QuickPacket has servers and IPs for rent at competitive rates. As long as you are planning to handle abuse complaints promptly and remove abusers from your service, you shouldn't have an issue here. However, we run a very clean network and do not tolerate lax policies. If you don't handle abuse promptly and you don't remove obvious spammers and repeat abusers from the network, we will have to ask you to go elsewhere.

Thanked by 1jar
  • IPXOIPXO Member, LIR

As highlighted by @jar and @HostEONS IPXO goes to great lengths to uphold IP reputation within our platform. We understand that some of these measures might be inconvenient for certain users. However, they are indispensable to maintain the integrity and trustworthiness of our marketplace.

You’ll find disclaimers about feature prohibition in our Knowledge Base articles related to DNS/rDNS management: https://www.ipxo.com/kb/technical-guides/managing-rdns-for-ip-lessees-in-ipxo/

If you require further assistance and/or knowledge on your specific case, don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Solutions Team. They're here to address your questions based on your unique situation and needs: https://help.ipxo.com/support/home

• juniorrrrrjuniorrrrr Member
    edited October 2023

I think many are having trouble understanding.

I'll add some screenshots and make a comparison to clarify.

When accessing https://www.ipxo.com/features/, the first feature offered for IP management is

**DNS Managment

Perform and manage all necessary DNS-related actions directly from your IPXO Account.**

Please see the image below:

At no point are any restrictions mentioned. If you cannot enable this feature, then it should not be advertised, or there should be an asterisk (*) indicating that activation is optional, etc.

Your terms of service do not mention anything about this restriction.
    https://www.ipxo.com/terms-of-service/

If someone signs up for your services and needs to use this feature, but you no longer provide it despite advertising it on your website, at the very least, this advertisement appears to mislead website visitors.

You mentioned that there is information about the restriction in your "Knowledge Base." However, I did not read your Knowledge Base. I accessed https://www.ipxo.com and navigated to /features/.

A comparison - I work with web hosting, and there are certain features I prefer not to enable on a shared server, for example, 'SSH access.' But if I advertise a plan with 'SSH access' and an end-user subscribes to that plan because they need that access, I have to enable it. It's that simple. If I don't enable it, I'm not fulfilling my advertisement, I would have to issue a refund or offer a discount!

I understand that you need to maintain the reputation of your IP, but with incorrect information and advertising features that are not actually provided, it will be challenging to uphold the company's reputation.

This is my point of view.

• IPXOIPXO Member, LIR

Thank you @juniorrrrr for pointing this out! As the feature has been restricted quite recently it seems not all communication has been aligned, we will clear this up asap.