Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

proxmox backup server specs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

proxmox backup server specs

Does anyone currently run a proxmox backup server on a vps with less than the recommended specs (2+cpu/4GB ram)? these are the specs of my selfhosted pbs and it seems to work fine. I recently started looking into options to replicate offsite other than tuxis as I regularly exceed the free quota. I've noticed most of the storage boxes from providers are 1cpu/1-2g of RAM so just wanted to get some feedback from people already doing it.

I'm not opposed to using the paid tier of tuxis if that's the most cost effective, but $18/tb seemed a bit high.

I'm also interested in storage vps offers anyone has recommendations on, I think I'll need about 1.5TB for the backups.

Comments

• SolidSeoVPSSolidSeoVPS Member, Patron Provider
  • Most storage VPS providers are okay with adding a few cores and gb of RAM to your VPS for a small additional fee. That's generally how I run my PBS stuff.

Thanked by 1darkknight
  • Use the server less than that will be okay for lightweight usage, but not recommended at all. The Proxmox Backup Server will use ZFS which can cost lot of RAM, even you can config to reduce high usage it not recommend on 2G Ram VPS ether. I personally do not think it is necessary to use that file system on a vps with limited resources. If you just want to use as a backup server on 1C2G vps with only one vDisk, I recommend use btrfs or ext4 and config it by CLI. If you wanna get function like GUI you may try Cockpit or Webmin and use Netdata for status monitoring.

Thanked by 1darkknight
  • I use this way: I create the VM backup from Proxmox main server and later I manually copy the files to a Hetzner storage box which is cheaper than regular storage vps.

Thanked by 2darkknight Erisa
  • @darkknight said:
    Does anyone currently run a proxmox backup server on a vps with less than the recommended specs (2+cpu/4GB ram)? these are the specs of my selfhosted pbs and it seems to work fine. I recently started looking into options to replicate offsite other than tuxis as I regularly exceed the free quota. I've noticed most of the storage boxes from providers are 1cpu/1-2g of RAM so just wanted to get some feedback from people already doing it.

I'm not opposed to using the paid tier of tuxis if that's the most cost effective, but $18/tb seemed a bit high.

I'm also interested in storage vps offers anyone has recommendations on, I think I'll need about 1.5TB for the backups.

DM to get a quote

• I use my KS1 for my proxmox backup server. Does the job well.

Thanked by 2darkknight Erisa
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

one of my pbs servers is a pentium n3700(x11sba) +8gb ram with 2x sata 7,68 samsung ssd's (pm series) . Works quite nicely and uses almost no power.

Thanked by 1darkknight
  • @wii747 said:
    I use my KS1 for my proxmox backup server. Does the job well.

@wii747

Are these only available occasionally? After googling this model it took me to kimsufi, but the smallest model was labeled ks2.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@darkknight said:

Backup storage:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    Contact us for discounts.

• amarcamarc Veteran
    edited October 2023

@NetDynamics24 said: Backup storage:

It would be lovely if you could stop offering your, essentially "FTP service", on every thread asking for "storage servers" or "storage VPS"

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@amarc said:

@NetDynamics24 said: Backup storage:

It would be lovely if you could stop offering your, essentially "FTP service", on every thread asking for "storage servers" or "storage VPS"

It is not FTP. It is SFTP and jailed SSH. And it has been useful for many users inside here.

Thanked by 1amaeva080
  • @NetDynamics24 said: It is not FTP. It is SFTP and jailed SSH. And it has been useful for many users inside here.

>

Yes, it's "Hetzner Storage Box" for almost 100% more price (at least per site). Point is: it's not server.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

HY, we offer 2 core 4 GB as standard in our Storage VPS
    2 drives, 1 for boot ( 10 GB ), second for storage( 1,2, up to 16 TB )

We have a lot of clients storing Prox BK server.

2 TB VPS Storage @ 12 USD/ MO list price
    Unlimited Bandwith / mo

• @darkknight said:

@wii747 said:

@wii747

Are these only available occasionally? After googling this model it took me to kimsufi, but the smallest model was labeled ks2.

nevermind, I see that it default filters to available servers only.

• @darkknight said:

@darkknight said:

@wii747 said:

@wii747

nevermind, I see that it default filters to available servers only.

Yes the kimsufi ks1 is very hard to get these days. As soon as it comes available it sells out like hot cakes.

Thanked by 1darkknight
  • If you install PBS manually (don't use the install iso) and don't use ZFS, but use ext4 or xfs for the datastore. You can get away with 1 or 2GB RAM fine. While I love ZFS, its a big memory hog even with tweaks and tbh not needed for a PBS system.

I also have several PBS running on low end NAS's (in docker) which mirror the data and a couple of low end VPS's as the masters.

You also btw can get away with using LXC, you don't necessary need to have a full blown KVM machine.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited November 2023

@majestic said: You also btw can get away with using LXC

This is very true and good advice. I run PBS in LXC and the highest RAM it ever used over the past month (I'm talking peak, it only got there once) was 926 MB. When nothing is happening it consumes around 75 MB, increasing to a measure of hundreds during a backup job.

Thanked by 2bdl darkknight
  • This is exactly the same that I observe also @Erisa

• @majestic said:
    If you install PBS manually (don't use the install iso) and don't use ZFS, but use ext4 or xfs for the datastore. You can get away with 1 or 2GB RAM fine. While I love ZFS, its a big memory hog even with tweaks and tbh not needed for a PBS system.

I also have several PBS running on low end NAS's (in docker) which mirror the data and a couple of low end VPS's as the masters.

You also btw can get away with using LXC, you don't necessary need to have a full blown KVM machine.

this x10000