Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Rack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtual Rack

Hi

Can anyone give an insight into what actually a Virtual Rack is & for what purpose it is used for?

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/virtual_rack.xml

Comments

• What is a Virtual Rack?
    The Virtual Rack brings together several virtual servers (regardless of number and physical location in our datacentre) and connects them to a virtual switch within the same private network. Your servers can communicate privately and securely between each other (in a dedicated VLAN).

Pretty self explanatory

• @irm said:
    What is a Virtual Rack?
    The Virtual Rack brings together several virtual servers (regardless of number and physical location in our datacentre) and connects them to a virtual switch within the same private network. Your servers can communicate privately and securely between each other (in a dedicated VLAN).

Pretty self explanatory

I understand that but what I wanted to know was what is used for, cloud hosting(or may be some other purposes)? Because it doesn't make any sense to use it for simple KVM/XEN/OpenVZ Virtual servers.

• Simple really you could have a DB on one server website on another and have them communicate via VLAN instead of using bandwidth without compromising the real IP of the DB server.

• Is it not just a marketing spin / GUI for a private LAN?

• c0yc0y Member
    edited December 2013

@i83 said:
    Is it not just a marketing spin / GUI for a private LAN?

Yep, it's just a vLAN with your IPs allocated to it rather than allocated directly to your servers.

• Make sure to ticket OVH before purchasing their lame virtual rack service. It does not do half the crap they claim because their website is still showing information for an older version. I had one for a while and had to have it comped because the site clearly was wrong about the functionality of their supposed virtual rack.