Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosthatch no network after enabling private networking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosthatch no network after enabling private networking

LisoLiso Member
edited October 2023 in Help

Hello, I tried enabling private networking in hosthatch, I followed this guide → https://docs.hosthatch.com/networking/#private-networking, but after rebooting, suddenly my vm is not accessible (ping & ssh), I can open it on hosthatch console vnc, I realized that eth0 interface is missing. Pinging the server gives me countless Destination Host Unreachable

I have opened a ticket, but doubt they will respond fast, so I decided to ask here if anyone can help me.

TL;DR: Enabled private networking on two VMs, rebooting and now two vm is down (one is promotional the other one is non-promotional). Could be bad configuration.

Comments

• I think that's the definition of private networking? Like, no outside access but servers in internal network?

• @intermall said:
    I think that's the definition of private networking? Like, no outside access but servers in internal network?

That’s why you still have the public interface

• @Liso said: I realized that eth0 interface is missing

Probably it was not named eth0 even before you enabled private networking.

Either way, it is most likely because your network manager (if any, or startup scripts) did not bring up the ens3 (which should be your public) interface, possibly due to interface name (or count, or mac address, etc.) change. Run dhcpcd ens3 from console should make your VPS accessible.

• Check the configs in /etc/netplan, you probably messed something up there. The name eth0 can be set trough netplan configs so if they are broken your interfaces could have changed names.
    Try running 'netplan apply' from the console and see what kind of errors you get, start working from there.