Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Kubernetes service or distro do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Kubernetes service or distro do you use?

Question for those working with Kubernetes, obviously.

Do you use a managed service or clusters set up on prem? Would you mind sharing what service or distro you use, what you like/dislike? It would be useful information as I am bulding a managed K8s service.

Thanks!

Comments

• I only have experience with redhat openshift at work, and GKE to play on my own, I think there are no big upside/downside or difference on using it, as long as you provide support it'll be a good service.

Interesting information when i asked your question around; apparently there are some companies that uses amazon EKS and azure AKS just because they got approached first and getting offered for some training/free certification. so maybe that can be a sales pitch too i guess? providing training material and stuff

• @ScreenReader said:
    I only have experience with redhat openshift at work, and GKE to play on my own, I think there are no big upside/downside or difference on using it, as long as you provide support it'll be a good service.

Interesting information when i asked your question around; apparently there are some companies that uses amazon EKS and azure AKS just because they got approached first and getting offered for some training/free certification. so maybe that can be a sales pitch too i guess? providing training material and stuff

I was thinking about providing training material in a WIKI or something. Is this what you mean?

• @vitobotta said:

@ScreenReader said:
    I only have experience with redhat openshift at work, and GKE to play on my own, I think there are no big upside/downside or difference on using it, as long as you provide support it'll be a good service.

I was thinking about providing training material in a WIKI or something. Is this what you mean?

wiki should be fine, especially for having a "Getting Started" section, and then gradually shift into more advanced documentation

• @ScreenReader said:

@vitobotta said:

@ScreenReader said:

wiki should be fine, especially for having a "Getting Started" section, and then gradually shift into more advanced documentation

Gotcha. Yeah I will create some nice wiki with walkthroughs on various things :)

Thanked by 1ScreenReader
  • Hi @vitobotta i use upcloud for k8s + managed mysql/redis and they are awesome. 100% sla, super fast hdd and supet flexible resize/migration/snapshotting/backup

• @sdfantini said:
    Hi @vitobotta i use upcloud for k8s + managed mysql/redis and they are awesome. 100% sla, super fast hdd and supet flexible resize/migration/snapshotting/backup

Thanks. UpCloud is a pretty nice provider, I like them. Have you seen any limitations so far in their k8s service?

• @vitobotta said:

@sdfantini said:
    Hi @vitobotta i use upcloud for k8s + managed mysql/redis and they are awesome. 100% sla, super fast hdd and supet flexible resize/migration/snapshotting/backup

Thanks. UpCloud is a pretty nice provider, I like them. Have you seen any limitations so far in their k8s service?

Not so far..

• remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

When I use kubernetes, it's often for companies with big budgets. So we use managed services, usually EKS.

I once set up a cluster for a company that had its own dedicated servers, and we used rancher (Debian).

But let's just say I never had the choice of managed service provider, because the company was already an amazon webservices customer every time, so it was simpler for them to have everything in the same place. And they had already negotiated rates. So I lack points of comparison.

Otherwise, I use docker swarm a lot, even though it's often criticized.

• +1 for swarm