Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servacus Cutting back on Colo Offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Servacus Cutting back on Colo Offers

JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Hey Guys , we know how bad servacus is only had 2 servers with them still moved most of ours away, they provided no support & was beyond a joke there setup, far from professional giving us a week to get our kit our legacy kit our relocated and back online should really be a month. only good thing we had with servacus is path nothing else !

Hello,
We hope this message finds you well.

We're writing to inform you of some vital changes occurring at our DC02 data center, which directly impact your current colocation services.

Due to ongoing challenges and issues experienced at DC02, we have made the strategic decision to wind down operations at this facility.

After conducting analysis, we've concluded that maintaining a standard level of service and support for Single Server or 1/4 Rack Colocation clients at current pricing will not be feasible amidst these changes.

Key Details:
Service Discontinuation Date: DC02 will remain fully operational until October 26th, after which connectivity will be dropped.

Equipment Collection: You may request the collection of your server equipment at any time. To facilitate a smooth transition, please confirm a date and time that suits you for collection.
Shipping Option: If you require your equipment to be shipped to a different location, please confirm this requirement and we will engage with you directly to coordinate logistics and ensure a secure transition of your assets.

Outstanding Balance: Depending on the current Invoice dates you may be entitled to a refund based on days remaining or used towards Shipping if required.
Next Steps:
Equipment Collection/Shipping: Please provide a confirmation of your preferred date/time for collection or if you opt for shipping, by replying at your earliest convenience.
Data Backup: Ensure that you have all necessary data backed up from your server(s) to prevent any data loss during the transition.

Alternative Solutions: Our team is here to help explore alternative colocation solutions to minimize any disruptions to your operations.

We understand the inconveniences that these changes may cause and we sincerely apologize for any disruption this may create in your operations.

Our decision to wind down DC02 was not made lightly and was taken with the overarching goal to ensure long-term sustainability and improved service delivery in our other facilities.
Your understanding and cooperation during this transition are greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions, concerns, or need further assistance regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact our support team directly via email or phone.
Kind Regards,
Servacus Team

Comments

• @Jasonhyperhost said: DC02 will remain fully operational until October 26th, after which connectivity will be dropped.

9 days, amaaaaaaazing service.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

its preety bad really! not giving much time , considering they dont allow visits at the weekend either , it was only a matter of time before they pulled this stunt was waiting for the day in all honesty

• Isn't Servacus just an office building that has racks in it as opposed to an actual DC? Why would you ever colo hardware there?

• LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

@fluffernutter said:
    Isn't Servacus just an office building that has racks in it as opposed to an actual DC? Why would you ever colo hardware there?

Yes they are

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

If your interested in moving you hardware to our DC, its in Texas. I can offer you a discount if you switch or move from another datacenter email [email protected]

• DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

Had a rack with Servacus, they had a lot of network issues which forced the move otherwise the service was decent enough for the price you pay. Been monitoring their network since, I thought it was a bit weird their network went down at exactly 9AM last week for a few hours, guess their BT line was not paid.

Moved to VeloxServ (Redditch) early this year, they've been great I know a few guys moved there from Servacus. They offer the first month free and I believe they even can go into Servacus to pick gear up for you too. Other than that I don't know anyone else near the budget of Servacus.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"AI triggered door locks"

• @oplink said:
    If your interested in moving you hardware to our DC, its in Texas. I can offer you a discount if you switch or move from another datacenter email [email protected]

Now I am confused - I am pretty sure Servacus was UK? Why would anyone move hardware from UK to USA, Texas?
    Did I miss something and they had 2nd location in USA or it's just oplink spamming at this point :D?

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

I'd offer assistance if anyone wants to jump across the channel.
    Starting around the 28th i'll have some more space available in Amsterdam and can also offer colo there.

@oplink said:

thanks for the offer but need to keep these in the EU these server (Ideally UK)

• veloxservveloxserv Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the mention. Lots of their customers have moved to us, I believe servacus are actively recommending their customers move to us

Here if anyone needs anything!

@DamoHG said:
    Had a rack with Servacus, they had a lot of network issues which forced the move otherwise the service was decent enough for the price you pay. Been monitoring their network since, I thought it was a bit weird their network went down at exactly 9AM last week for a few hours, guess their BT line was not paid.

Moved to VeloxServ (Redditch) early this year, they've been great I know a few guys moved there from Servacus. They offer the first month free and I believe they even can go into Servacus to pick gear up for you too. Other than that I don't know anyone else near the budget of Servacus.

• DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider

@veloxserv said:

Thanks for the mention. Lots of their customers have moved to us, I believe servacus are actively recommending their customers move to us

Here if anyone needs anything!

@DamoHG said:

Sounds about right to me. When I told Liam I was moving to you guys he told me I made a good choice and would have been his recommendation then.

Thanked by 1mxmla
  • I've seen so many hosts use Servacus because they offered cheap 10G servers.

• Servacus scammers dont want to ship my collocated server to me. Any ideas how can i force them to send my server?

• @vb2005 said:
    Servacus scammers dont want to ship my collocated server to me. Any ideas how can i force them to send my server?

Pay them a visit.

Thanked by 1sasslik

@vb2005 said:
    Servacus scammers dont want to ship my collocated server to me. Any ideas how can i force them to send my server?

Call Liam on his mobile or discord?

@Hypere said:

@vb2005 said:

Pay them a visit.

I mean you can jump through the window right? Shouldn't be hard.

Thanked by 1Hypere
  • First DediPath and now this. Are we going towards a world where we only have big hosting companies like AWS, Equinix, GoDaddy, and maybe DigitalOcean? If we're lucky, BuyVM will survive but that's about it.

We've seen mom-and-pop ISPs in the US die and only Big Cable/Telecom/Wireless survive. What did that result in? Higher prices, crap service, and less flexibility in services. Whereas in Europe mom-and-pop ISPs survived and prices are lower in EU.

Maybe real estate is expensive and colo prices also rise. But will that drive out small hosts?

• There is one common denominator between all of these providers. They competed solely based on price.

A mistake a lot of hosts make (myself included), is that trying to be the cheapest in the market is never a good thing. Servacus priced themselves incredibly low to get demand in, and slowly raised it as power pricing increased, and they as had to turn a profit, as they realised how expensive it was to support a large number of single U clients. This is also likely why there are certain reviews of their services, where they've forced clients to pay a month of service as a 'termination fee' when leaving, etc (atleast this is what happened to me a year ago), not justifying it in any way, but when you're operating on margins this slim, one client paying another month of service can make a big difference.

Clients colocating a 1U server for 40$ a month effectively tie up your bandwidth, remote hands time with KVM requests, etc, and aren't entirely knowledgeable on what they're doing. Which is completely fine - everyone has to learn somehow, but what it means is that trying to price 1U colocation affordably, especially in the UK where paying DCs 300GBP per KW is common practice, becomes very difficult without razor thin margins, all it takes is one thing to not go to plan, and the domino effect begins.

I too have tried this myself with previous ventures, and the one conclusion that i've reached from it, is that if you're the cheapest provider in the market, you're pricing is too low.

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@daemon97 said:
    First DediPath and now this. Are we going towards a world where we only have big hosting companies like AWS, Equinix, GoDaddy, and maybe DigitalOcean? If we're lucky, BuyVM will survive but that's about it.

We've seen mom-and-pop ISPs in the US die and only Big Cable/Telecom/Wireless survive. What did that result in? Higher prices, crap service, and less flexibility in services. Whereas in Europe mom-and-pop ISPs survived and prices are lower in EU.

Maybe real estate is expensive and colo prices also rise. But will that drive out small hosts?

I think there’s two segments

There’s the IaaS type of product. You get x U’s, Y watts & z Gbit

Or with a VPS, x RAM, y CPU model and z Gbit

Those will likely be absorbed. And with good reason, scalability makes it possible for them to offer more for less. If I recall correctly, Hetzner has a decent profit margin. I don’t believe anyone on here can offer what they can while maintaining that same profit margin

The other type of hosting, the niched kind, here’s where there’s an actual advantage to be small. @MikePT got a job at Rocket.net if I remember correctly, it’s a perfect example. Hetzner sells the resources that they need per client website a lot cheaper (probably), but their product is a bundle of hardware, software and expertise that all go together and form their offerings

Hetzner can’t compete with that.

I sell managed hosting (small scale). I understand exactly what my client needs, even though they themselves do not

Hetzner can’t compete with that.

Obviously there’s things in-between, Red Hat has amazing corporate support for example, but genereally speaking at least

Tl;dr: The ”secret” isn’t a ”secret”. You make money by providing value. Trying to offer more for less compared to the big players, with nothing else to it, in a very scalable area, I don’t know.. by that point might as well start a non-profit because that’s essentially what it’ll likely become

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@daemon97 said: If we're lucky, BuyVM will survive but that's about it.

Ah yes, the illicid BuyVM killer. the loch ness monster of the LE market.

Francisco

@vb2005 said:

What's their reasoning?

it sounds like margains were too low for them on the deals they were doing

I’m in direct contact with the team at servacus actively moving customers so if we can help anyone on that front please just DM me.

We’ve got customers moving in daily.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Jasonhyperhost said:
    it sounds like margains were too low for them on the deals they were doing

Power's been going up like crazy it seems. I've talked to one host that does colo in the UK and renewals have been absolutely brutal.

Francisco

• @LeifurGunnarsson said:

@vb2005 said:

What's their reasoning?

They just dont reply to tickets - 1 month. I also paid them additional month for collocation after cancellation.

Thanked by 1LeifurGunnarsson
  • @veloxserv said:
    I’m in direct contact with the team at servacus actively moving customers so if we can help anyone on that front please just DM me.

On your site there are listed 2 data centers - London and Midlands. Where can you move the servers - to London or Midlands?

• JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

The main guy Liam will rope people in with a friendly manner, once they get your hardware he flips at times before you order "we are always onsite, ready to help such as free hardware upgrades, and flexible rates" Yes until the power trips on your Rackspace, phone them 4 am and nobody picks up, when they reply to the tickets hours later they want to apply out of hours remote hands to fix the power issues, you request to cancel and they ignore the ticket for a while until a new invoice has been created then tos states "all invoices must be paid before they will release the hardware back"

Thanked by 1LeifurGunnarsson

@vb2005 said:

@LeifurGunnarsson said:

@vb2005 said:

What's their reasoning?

They just dont reply to tickets - 1 month. I also paid them additional month for collocation after cancellation.

I can highly recommend CreditReform if you need pro bono collections done for this, I hope you can get this resolved without collections though. Best of luck.

We have 2 x datacentres in Wolverhampton and 1 x in Redditch. We would locate your kit in these locations.

We have a private cage in London but very little space available there.

@vb2005 said:

@veloxserv said:

On your site there are listed 2 data centers - London and Midlands. Where can you move the servers - to London or Midlands?