Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thread to help OVH fix their weird payment issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thread to help OVH fix their weird payment issues

emghemgh Member
edited October 2023 in Help

Since people have complained forever about the billing practices of OVH, and they seem to be willing to fix them but things don't really get any better - so I thought a thread where we try to gather the issues and maybe do some community-troubleshooting could be nice

Also, OVH could maybe provide some progress so that things are actually getting fixed

Problems for now:

1. The "only applicable for 12 times" (my last invoice, although it was inflated with multiple services and upgrades, contained this phrase SEVEN times, although all my discounts should be lifetime)
  2. Auto renewal issues with "OTHER OPTIONS", it seems that sometimes, when ordering a dedicated server and switching it to auto renew, it sometimes dosen't, because as I understand it, some extra configurable options or free selections aren't being set to auto renew as well, support had to fix this for me once, and then when I ordered the exact same thing agian, I asked them to do it again, and they said it's already set to auto renew. I guess we'll have to see what occurs this time.
  3. Renewing services manually not showing promotion price. This is about the manual renewal option at https://www.ovh.ie/cgi-bin/order/renew.cgi. It's showing prices as if there wasn't any promotion applied. Not sure if this affects the generated invoice or not.
  4. Renewing services manually also showing the "only applicable for 12 times" text. It's under "+ details". In addition, it seems somewhat random. I've got two GAME dedicated servers on deals, one shows the "only applicable for 12 times" on all selections, the other one on all but the RAM upgrade, where it dosen't show that. See the image on list item 8.
  5. Renewing services manually seems to always have three options, one of which is very unclear. The options are "No renewal", "alignment for €", and, "alignment for 3.00 €". What would the middle option do?
  6. Renewing services manually: The details of your hosting. To be frank, I have no idea what this means, but it says "If you want to renew your services one by one by configuring the options of each of them, Please click on this link." At the link in question, I can renew each services additional IP's (or failover IP's). That's weird that it says that I can't choose to renew or not renew those when not in the service-specific view, as they did completely show up in the normal renewal view, although, in the normal view, I can choose to renew a single IP for two months, and my for doing so choices are:
    "No renewal"
    "alignment for €"
    "alignment for 3.00 €"
    Compared to on the service-specific renewal page, my options are, instead:
    "Do not renew it"
    "0 months €NaN +VAT €NaN VAT incl."
    "0 years €3.00 +VAT €3.00 VAT incl."
    ... what?
  7. Renewing services manually: The dates are unclear. I have many services that are up for renewal the 1st of next month. Additional IPs show the DATE, servers, however, show a countdown. Makes it hard to align dates when you have to calculate it all yourself. They should just all show actual dates:
    Additional IP: "expire on 01-11-2023"
    Dedicated Server: "15 days"
  8. Decide on how to format dates, and stick with it. Dates are formatted in different formats all over. Makes understanding the already flawed system even harder. Even on the same views, they're different. On the renewal page mentioned, on "Step 2", at the top it says: "Alignment mode date: 2023-12-01", that's YYYY-MM-DD. On the product itself, the same format seems to be followed, on the selections though, a completely different formatting is used. Very confusing. Removed the service names, but see: https://i.ibb.co/1MVdydT/Sk-rmbild-2023-10-17-125149.png, apart from the countdown version, there's two different date formats on the same actual view.

A question to those of you that might know: The manual renewal that shows a non-promo price, does it generate a correct invoice (it just shows the wrong pricing) or will the invoice generated be just as wrong as the details that it displays?

And a question to OVH (@OVH_APAC / @ninzo59): I really do love your services, extremely satisfied with it all from a technical standpoint. The watercooled Game Servers perform amazing and I've had zero network issues or technical issues making servers unusable, very neat, especially for the price, but will all these billing issues ever be fixed? It honestly seems that the billing system is in some sort of alpha/early beta stage, just tons of issues all over. This is what I gathered in maybe 15 minutes tops.

Comments

• @OVH_APAC / @ninzo59

Sent you both my "Customer code" in DM's if you'd like to look at my specific account with these issues, even though I think the issues are site-wide, but at the very least my account has the products/services needed to see the issues live.

• Another related issue is it’s not clear at point of sale that you have to repeatedly re-commit for 6/12 months to keep a discounted rate

E.g. you buy a server with 50% off - $50/mo discounted to $25/mo lifetime - and commit for 6 months to gain free setup. Now you’re tied into re-committing for 6 months indefinitely or price reverts to $50

Normally a contract should revert to rolling monthly after a commitment period, or be abundantly clear that is not the case (eg Netcup)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @darkimmortal Where are you from?

I have somewhat of a feeling that what you’re expecting vs. what other’s might expect has to do with general business culture

I think my phone plan and my book keeping software works just like OVH does in that regard

But about commttments, changing it on a discounted server shows non-discounted pricing. Unclear if it’s a visual bug or if changing it actually removes the discount

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited October 2023

@emgh said:
    @darkimmortal Where are you from?

I have somewhat of a feeling that what you’re expecting vs. what other’s might expect has to do with general business culture

I think my phone plan and my book keeping software works just like OVH does in that regard

But about commttments, changing it on a discounted server shows non-discounted pricing. Unclear if it’s a visual bug or if changing it actually removes the discount

UK, normal for contracts here

I also thought it might be a visual bug, but I’ve seen the official OVH account reply to a comment here confirming that you lose the discount

My main issue with it is OVH used to let you commit and then move to rolling monthly (after commitment period) without losing discount before they moved to Eco branding. They used to set the invoice item price to the discounted price, so you could re-commit for any length of time or pay monthly and keep the discounted rate

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @darkimmortal crazy if that occurs when manually renewing too as it looks like in the Ui

• XorXor Member

The issue I'm experiencing (and perhaps more knowledgeable people might be able to clarify) is that I purchased a dedicated server and committed to six months at a discounted price. It was automatically set to automated renewal.

I got sent an email letting me know it wasn't set up fully. I had a look and it appears that the renewal (after the initial six months) will be for the full amount (minus the discount).

I purchased from the UK site.

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@Xor said: I got sent an email letting me know it wasn't set up fully. I had a look and it appears that the renewal (after the initial six months) will be for the full amount (minus the discount).

I believe they have two different things going on, commitments and payments.

From what I understand, you can have zero commitment but still automatically pay generated invoices, without extending the commitment.

Likely what you mean by "committed to six months at a discounted price. It was automatically set to automated renewal."

Same thing @darkimmortal mentioned:

@darkimmortal said: Now you’re tied into re-committing for 6 months indefinitely or price reverts to $50

So, annoying, but, technically not a bug.

• XorXor Member
    edited October 2023

Thanks @emgh. That's fine. I don't have any problem with renewing each time in blocks of six months.

I really wanted to know whether I could renew at the end of my initial commitment at the same price (for another six months). If not it isn't really cost effective for me to renew.

Edit: I've just re-checked my OVH account and despite originally signing up for a six month period at around £26 OVH want to charge me around £47 next month (despite it only being my second month of use).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • buracatburacat Member

On my last bill, it started to say "only applicable for 12 times". Will the price increase next month? What is your experience?

• emghemgh Member

@buracat said:
    On my last bill, it started to say "only applicable for 12 times". Will the price increase next month? What is your experience?

Wait, it didn’t before but now started? Never heard of that.

Only heard it saying it from the start, and in those cases it seems to be lifetime anyway (if the desl specified it.)

Thanked by 1buracat