Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Rack colocation with Cogent Communications
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Full Rack colocation with Cogent Communications

Hello

Has anyone tried full rack colocation with Cogent?

We are getting a really good offer from them in the LA Facility.

Is there anything unusual there, we should be aware of?

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

Many spam calls, emails if you do not order. So let's order to avoid this bad experience :D

Thanked by 2HostEONS Ax3L
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@bacloud said:
    Many spam calls, emails if you do not order. So let's order to avoid this bad experience :D

Can confirm.

They cold called us (via email) a few months ago. I replied asking a question (not fully interested, but vaguely). They replied once (fine), but followed up via email tens of times, and also phoned many times.

I'm quite surprised the chap in question hasn't turned up at my house.

Personally, I don't do that to my customers, and I don't expect (or want) others to do it to me.

One follow up is fine, but after that, take the hint ;)

• Cogent sales reps were once banned from a hosting convention due to their agressive (annoying) sales practives. So what did they do? They waited outside the doors of the convention and handed out business cards to everyone entering + leaving.

I wouldn't contact them if you value your inbox being free of spam.

To answer your question: Cogent facilities are generally sort of shit, remote hands is more incompetent than normal, and getting carriers there who aren't cogent is pretty tricky (and expensive), same with basically every carrier DC.

Thanked by 3Ax3L mrTom homelabber
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@fluffernutter said: remote hands is more incompetent than normal

My understanding is they don't offer remote hands anymore.

• @qps said:

There you go then, my knowledge is admittedly several years out of date here so I'll happily defer to you :) Just another reason to potentially avoid.

• @qps said:

You are true

• @Ax3L said:
    Hello

Quite fine :) You should take it

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

If you are local it might work out. Just note that most of the colocation they offer is lights out meaning no techs or anyone on site at night or after hours. Sometimes even during business hours.

I personally would avoid it.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Depending on where you'd be deployed, you would want to ask if their facility is lights out. Something to consider/watch for (if your business relies on remote hands). I do know their Pasadena location is lights out.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@qps said:

They didn't in all the years we were with them in 25 broadway, and that was many years ago.

You might be better off going with someone like FDC which usually has their own RH.

Francisco

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Also keep in mind that the carrier selection in the LA facilities with space available is extremely limited. Unless you are fine with being single-homed to Cogent, I would probably look elsewhere.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@qps said:
    Also keep in mind that the carrier selection in the LA facilities with space available is extremely limited. Unless you are fine with being single-homed to Cogent, I would probably look elsewhere.

This might not be so much of an issue anymore now Cogent are selling waves with diverse paths. Obviously would need a network PoP in another DC but if Cogent DC is cheap enough just for compute 🤷‍♂️

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@Ax3L said:
    Hello

You should go with us instead and we can add a direct path to Cogent at Cologix in Columbus :wink:

• @jfreak53 said:

@Ax3L said:
    Hello

You should go with us instead and we can add a direct path to Cogent at Cologix in Columbus :wink:

You may provide a quotation in my DM and I'll let you know.