Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is Location is really an Important One ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is Location is really an Important One ?

I mean for general hosting of Websites, is it really that Important ?.

Am from India, if a blogging site has traffic, that has major traffic from India & US. Which location you prefer so ( don't say SG Location VPS as prices are huge factor here )?.

If any one host, Ghost cms - is 1GB Ram VPS is enough ?

&

Why AMS Location is so popular ?

&

Further, why US VPS are very very affordable in comparing with EU Host VPS ?

Comments

• location is important for latency. but if you don't really care about that, then it won't be a problem

• @arachi004 said:
    location is important for latency. but if you don't really care about that, then it won't be a problem

does it cause any impact on seo ? . i mean if we use cdn, is it going to make any sense

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@Deepak_leb said: If any one host, Ghost cms - is 1GB Ram VPS is enough ?

It's fine

@Deepak_leb said: does it cause any impact on seo ?

No. Location is irrelevant from the stand point of Google at least. When a site is new it might make some difference but just like keywords in domain as they get to know your site more and your target audience it doesn't matter

I wouldn't get a vps tbh. too much to manage. shared hosting is easier for stuff like ghost. and probably cheaper

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

For a website, if you're running behind a CDN, location isn't important.

AMS is popular due to it being a central connectivity point.

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb nick_
  • @Deepak_leb said: does it cause any impact on seo ?

Unless you are dealing with lowlatency applications, it will not matter much and even noticeable for normal users.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • @MrRadic said:

any reason behind the pricing factor

• @ezeth said:

@Deepak_leb said: If any one host, Ghost cms - is 1GB Ram VPS is enough ?

It's fine

No. Location is irrelevant from the stand point of Google at least. When a site is new it might make some difference but just like keywords in domain as they get to know your site more and your target audience it doesn't matter

I wouldn't get a vps tbh. too much to manage. shared hosting is easier for stuff like ghost. and probably cheaper

alright.

• @sreekanth850 said:

Unless you are dealing with lowlatency applications, it will not matter much and even noticeable for normal users.

any examples ?

• @Deepak_leb said:
    does it cause any impact on seo ? . i mean if we use cdn, is it going to make any sense

not really impact, especially if you use a CDN.

• Looks like I need to OFFshoot the Idle Vpses :)

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

AMS is cheap or expensive?

• @MrRadic said:

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

Afforable. But comparing with US. It is a lil bit expensive ( very few fraction ) - As we can see few of leb providers pricing ( usa vs eu locations)

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

Afforable. But comparing with US. It is a lil bit expensive ( very few fraction ) - As we can see few of leb providers pricing ( usa vs eu locations)

Power pricing in EU is expensive and AMS is a pricey location. The only exception to these rules is Hetzner.

• @MrRadic said:

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

Power pricing in EU is expensive and AMS is a pricey location. The only exception to these rules is Hetzner.

Alright. that's everyone out of hand expense :neutral:

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Deepak_leb said:

Am from India, if a blogging site has traffic, that has major traffic from India & US. Which location you prefer so ( don't say SG Location VPS as prices are huge factor here )?.

&

&

I'll answer this a little bit in depth.

For India vs the US, check the metrics, choose which one has more, and choose the location based on that. In general, VPS in the US will probably be cheaper depending on the provider, so that's another factor to take in [i.e., will you run anything else other than just your blog on it?]

For Ghost, 1 GB of RAM is usually more than enough, as it doesn't have many RAM-eating features.

AMS Location is popular due to a few reasons:

• It is the hub for networking in the EU
    • Anonymity. As Amsterdam has some pretty nice laws regarding that.
    • A lot of renewable sources of energy (both a marketing point and cost-effective)
      Here is a great article explaining all of that

As for the US vs. EU cost question, colocation on a server in the EU costs way more. Electricity is exponentially more expensive. Most DCs in Europe are usually Tier 3 or Tier 4 certified. As well as, EU providers usually charge more per 1U of space. In certain countries, there are also some environmental legislations that you have to abide by to create a DC.

• @skorupion said:

@Deepak_leb said:

&

&

I'll answer this a little bit in depth.

For India vs the US, check the metrics, choose which one has more, and choose the location based on that. In general, VPS in the US will probably be cheaper depending on the provider, so that's another factor to take in [i.e., will you run anything else other than just your blog on it?]

For Ghost, 1 GB of RAM is usually more than enough, as it doesn't have many RAM-eating features.

• A lot of renewable sources of energy (both a marketing point and cost-effective)
      Here is a great article explaining all of that

As for the US vs. EU cost question, colocation on a server in the EU costs way more. Electricity is exponentially more expensive. Most DCs in Europe are usually Tier 3 or Tier 4 certified. As well as, EU providers usually charge more per 1U of space. In certain countries, there are also some environmental legislations that you have to abide by to create a DC.

Interesting.

• @Deepak_leb said:

@sreekanth850 said:

any examples ?

Live streaming apps, video conferencing apps, gaming etc need low latency.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • @Deepak_leb said: I mean for general hosting of Websites

If you care about SEO, then FCP (First Contentful Paint) is really important which is affected by the latency of the server.

• @yusra said:

@Deepak_leb said: I mean for general hosting of Websites

If you care about SEO, then FCP (First Contentful Paint) is really important which is affected by the latency of the server.

FCP ???. Something new. will google on

• Setup Cloudflare, create 2 page rules.
    Rule 1. Bypass All Cache for the Admin
    Rule 2. Cache Everything for rest

If new content is written, simply clear cache of the home page, sitemaps etc.
    Assuming the content of blog posts changes rarely, you can always clear cache.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

It all depends on quite a few factors.

Typically latency for a lot of applications doesn't matter as much as it does for something such as FPS gaming, stock market, and the odd other things here and there.

Often times for websites it isn't as big of a deal as you should really use a CDN if latency matters a lot on those for you.

Steaming and things often times have a buffer in place that helps prevent latency issues.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep

@Deepak_leb said:

For a General website, it doesn't matter where you host it.
    Just put a CDN in front of it (Cloudflare provides one for free) and enable cache.

If you are running low latency website, or a geo distributed cluster nodes, latency can lead to make or break.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Depends if your website is optimized, how big the assets are.
    Some websites are only a few kb's they don't need a CDN at all.

Location matters for sure, however, doesn't help if the connectivity is crap or most of the traffic is backhauled to somewhere else.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2023

@skorupion said:

I doubt that and it's a moving target anyway. Frankfurt and London are very major nodes too. My personal take is that Amsterdam (actually the Netherlands in general) is a major hub mainly for a simple political reason: unlike France they are traditionally very, uhm, how to put that nicely, open to the brit neighbours and to the "exceptional country" across the ocean (which also actually -still- is the main power in terms of IT/internet) and/so the Netherlands is an ideal bridgehead on continental europe.

Kind of agree. Kind of as in the Netherlands at least has some barriers.

That I strongly doubt. Actually (at least the two major ones, wind and solar) renewable energies are spotty at best to put it friendly. And 'cost-effective' IMO (and after quite some research) is but a bold marketing lie.
    Btw, funny hint: in Finland the electricity prices went down drastically after their new nuclear power plant went active. After a short period the government stepped in and created a minimum price to save the other players.
    I mention that because DCs need exactly two parameters wrt energy: lowest cost possible and highest stability/reliability possible.

As for the US vs. EU cost question, colocation on a server in the EU costs way more. Electricity is exponentially more expensive. (Most DCs in Europe are usually Tier 3 or Tier 4 certified). As well as, EU providers usually charge more per 1U of space. In certain countries, there are also some environmental legislations that you have to abide by to create a DC.

Yes, that's unfortunately true. It should be noted though that that is due to politics and hype, not due to Europe being somehow at a disadvantage naturally.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • @jsg said:

@skorupion said:

I doubt that and it's a moving target anyway. Frankfurt and London are very major nodes too. My personal take is that Amsterdam (actually the Netherlands in general) is a major hub mainly for a simple political reason: unlike France they are traditionally very, uhm, how to put that nicely, open to the brit neighbours and to the "exceptional country" across the ocean (which also actually -still- is the main power in terms of IT/internet) and/so the Netherlands is an ideal bridgehead on continental europe.

I would maybe not call it the hub, but it is a hub, and one of the major ones.
    Another reason for that, besides the ones you mention, is that bandwidth is cheap and plentiful in NL. They have a very good infrastructure thanks to the entire country being totally flat, the highest mountain in NL is like 2 inches high or something, makes it easy and cheap to build infrastructure. When the rest of Europe were spending enormous amounts of money on ISDN, NL was already digging down fiberoptics everywhere.

Kind of agree. Kind of as in the Netherlands at least has some barriers.

That I strongly doubt. Actually (at least the two major ones, wind and solar) renewable energies are spotty at best to put it friendly. And 'cost-effective' IMO (and after quite some research) is but a bold marketing lie.

Renewable energy is usually not cheaper, not even close. And it fluctuates like crazy, if you are a big consumer of electricity you do not want 500% price fluctuations from one day to the other.
    However, there is some truth to this claim since running on renewable energy can give you other benefits such as not having to pay certain taxes or similar. In some countries/situations you could even be forced to pay fines if not running on renewable.
    So, yes, there can be some truth in "renewable energy can be cost-effective", but it is not that easy, and it is not cheaper per se.

Btw, funny hint: in Finland the electricity prices went down drastically after their new nuclear power plant went active. After a short period the government stepped in and created a minimum price to save the other players.

True. For a while they were actually running with negative prices on electricity. Kind of insane, but they actually produced so much electricity they did not know what to do with it.

I mention that because DCs need exactly two parameters wrt energy: lowest cost possible and highest stability/reliability possible.

As for the US vs. EU cost question, colocation on a server in the EU costs way more. Electricity is exponentially more expensive. (Most DCs in Europe are usually Tier 3 or Tier 4 certified). As well as, EU providers usually charge more per 1U of space. In certain countries, there are also some environmental legislations that you have to abide by to create a DC.

Yes, that's unfortunately true. It should be noted though that that is due to politics and hype, not due to Europe being somehow at a disadvantage naturally.

GDPR comes to mind. Whatever ones opinion is on GDPR and similar, you can not ignore the fact that it costs providers money just to deal with it.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

@Deepak_leb said:

@MrRadic said:

It's expensive but you know you get what you pay for.

• Only if you need the lowest latency
    Otherwise not

• Location doesn't matter for your specific use case. Since the content on the blog page does not require frequent updates, it can be considered mostly static. By setting up a page rule on Cloudflare, you can cache the static page on your user edge.

• Closer the server to your user, faster the webpage will load.
    This would not apply to you as you have said you will be using a CDN so the content will be cached near your user regardless.

I would probably recommend you to go for a Share Hosting provider instead of a VPS as it will be easier to manage + cheaper and is more than sufficient for your usecase.

• @rcy026 said:
    the entire country being totally flat, the highest mountain in NL is like 2 inches high or something

I genuinely laughed at this!