Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipv6 disclosure requirement?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipv6 disclosure requirement?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited December 2013 in General

Hi,

I see everyday some offers, these fit into these categories:

1) They have Ipv4 and Ipv6 and they posted it into the offer

2) They have ipv4 and ipv6 and have not posted it into the offer

3) They have only ipv4 and have not posted it into the offer that they not have ipv6

My opinion: Each offer must contains if you offer ipv6 or not.

Whats your opinion?

Comments

• As a company or as per location/service/product offered?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

per location/service... yes

• Why require them to say anything? You can assume that if nothing is said about IPv4/6, they at least have IPv4. If they have IPv6 but don't post it, then they could be losing out on business from people that will only host somewhere that has IPv6 as well (like myself).

The only thing I think should be a requirement is if you DON'T have IPV4, then you must post that, however I don't know of any hosts that fit this scenario and weren't upfront about it.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited December 2013

@petris said:
    Why require them to say anything? You can assume that if nothing is said about IPv4/6, they at least have IPv4. If they have IPv6 but don't post it, then they could be losing out on business from people that will only host somewhere that has IPv6 as well (like myself).

Not sure where you are living. But IPv6 are given out standard to customers via local ISPs. IPv4, in contrast, only NATed. At least so in .de. Why should one have to list old technology (IPv4) whereas the standard (IPv6) should not be explicitly listed whereas customers have that from their ISP per default?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

skagerrak said: Not sure where you are living. But IPv6 are given out standard to customers via local ISPs. IPv4, in contrast, only NATed. At least so in .de. Why should one have to not list old technology (IPv4) whereas the standard (IPv6) should explicitly be listed whereas customers have that from their ISP per default?

This is not how it is in most of the world. Very few local ISP's have IPv6 anywhere near ready. That's awesome .de was on the ball but the rest of the world is not, from my understandings.

Someone will now come to prove me wrong lol.

• @skagerrak said:
    Not sure where you are living. But IPv6 are given out standard to customers via local ISPs. IPv4, in contrast, only NATed. At least so in .de. Why should one have to list old technology (IPv4) whereas the standard (IPv6) should not be explicitly listed whereas customers have that from their ISP per default?

IPv6 is still not commonplace in the United States. I am in an area that has comparatively fast residential internet (105Mbps down, 20Mbps up) and yet IPv6 is not available by the provider. The only reason why I have IPv6 at home is because I setup a tunnel.