Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex hetzner block looks like a nothingburger
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex hetzner block looks like a nothingburger

Apparently instances aren't even going down, they're just being forced to use the relay at 4 Mbps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/17612g4/hetzner_ban_is_in_place_but_id_call_it_more_of_a/

Annoying, sure. End of the world? Hardly

Comments

• @hacktek said: End of the world?

Yes

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

Watching media at 4 Mbps is awful, as mentioned in the post that's around 720p worth of quality. Most phones, monitors, and TV's now are 1080p at minimum, with some higher end (or now, even mid-range) TV's/monitors/phones at 1440p, 4K, or even 8K (well, not phones @ 8K, but you get the point). If you're already spending around 40 euro per month on a server, why should you compromise on 720p quality?

• Of course it sucks. But not being able to watch at all would be worse lol

• Time to switch to Jellyfin!

• tjntjn Member

My instance is working just fine so far.
    It's behind CF though.

• Stremio with RealDebrid, forget plex etc

• @vitobotta said:
    Stremio with RealDebrid, forget plex etc

I use alldebrid, because it's supposed to be more encrypted?
    realdebrid is supposed to be faster, but less encrypted?
    If I swap to realdebrid for the speed, wouldn't I just lose that speed since I need to connect to a vpn to makeup for the encryption that alldebrid has?

Or is that not how it works?

• Just host it at home on a 1Gbps connection :)

• @Nanja said:

@vitobotta said:

If I swap to realdebrid for the speed, wouldn't I just lose that speed since I need to connect to a vpn to makeup for the encryption that alldebrid has?

RealDebrid is encrypted too, what do you mean?

• @vitobotta said:

@Nanja said:

@vitobotta said:

RealDebrid is encrypted too, what do you mean?

From a reddit titled "VPN needed for Real-Debrid"

Correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that the connection to RD is obfuscated rather than encrypted. The result being it is difficult but not impossible to detect the traffic.

• RD uses TLS. Your provider can only see that you are connected to them, not what you are streaming etc

• Thanked by 1kait
  • bdlbdl Member

@emgh said:

@hacktek said: End of the world?

Yes

Losing billions...of Mbps

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @tjn said:
    My instance is working just fine so far.
    It's behind CF though.

Any guides?

• @Damian said:

More to the point people still using plex.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@nocloud said: More to the point people still using plex.

ha ha ha ha, :smile:

Could you give me some better options?

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Sometimes I want to use other applications, but can not find good app for Apple TV 4K Or Roku Ultra. There is Emby but does not work with HDR videos.

edited October 2023

@RIYAD said:
    Sometimes I want to use other applications, but can not find good app for Apple TV 4K Or Roku Ultra. There is Emby but does not work with HDR videos.

Exactly my problem , I have Roku and apple TV. So not really other way?

Not that important as I also have Plex-Pass Lifetime. Just curios if there are nicer alternatives.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

There are ways like move to other devices with Android. I also have FireStick and MiBox, other apps works with these but the video quality gets very bad :neutral:

There is Infuse App for Apple Tv, but did not try it myself.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • tjntjn Member

@RIYAD said:

Same.
    Plex is polished on multiple platforms, especially if sharing with non-techy friends and family.

• So whats stopping you from using any vpn solution - wireguard? to connect to a nearby provider...netcup? and then egress all your traffic through them and keep your cheap hetzner server?

edited October 2023

@tjn said: Plex is polished on multiple platforms, especially if sharing with non-techy friends and family.

Dap, try to explain complex login to my Dad. Not to mention VPN :smiley:

• incinc Member

for me from the hetzner server now the server just disappeared in list at plex...

edited October 2023

For those looking for Plex storage, we added some 4,6,8 TB services at our happy our for today with 35% off

• @RIYAD said:

https://firecore.com/infuse

Thanked by 2RIYAD host_c

It does luuk very nice, no Roku support is a deal braker for me, all my TV's are on Roku

• @host_c said:

@nocloud said: More to the point people still using plex.

ha ha ha ha, :smile:

Could you give me some better options?

Well admittedly, if you like all your media in one place, you don't mid paying a fee, and you are OK with a closed source third party with your data, then fine maybe plex is for you.

Personally, I use jellyfin for my personal video media, and navidrome for audio media.

Thanked by 2host_c emgh
  • Can anybody elaborate how exactly this ban works?

I thought that Plex uses direct connection to the server. Does it? If so, how could they block the hosting provider in this case? The server/client application come with a kill switch code?

• @host_c said:
    It does luuk very nice, no Roku support is a deal braker for me, all my TV's are on Roku

Don't Rokus show ads on the home screen? I refuse to buy a product that advertises to me. Apple TV isn't that expensive considering it's a vastly superior product.