Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long have LEB and LET been in existence?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long have LEB and LET been in existence?

How long have LEB and LET been in existence and when was the $7 rule put into place?

Comments

• LEB - almost 6 years

I don't know when the first LET instance was started, I remember only v2 and that one started about 3-4 years ago?

$7 rule was there from the start.

• I remember the time before LEA move LET to Vanilla.

Thanked by 1tux
  • The yearly was $60 at some point then reduced to $48

• Well then is it time to adjust for inflation? Allowing for 5% inflation $7 after 6 years is $9.38 today. Shouldn't the LET maximum be raised to accommodate it?

I am sure computer power, storage, and bandwidth may have come down in price but everything else hasn't. Isn't time to give new entrants as well as established providers a break, but new entrants mostly? Established guys can offer more for the price if they want to, but at least new entrants can make something.

PS. This may or may not go down too well. Call it my Christmas gift for providers and wannabe providers :)

• @rchurch said:
    Well then is it time to adjust for inflation? Allowing for 5% inflation $7 after 6 years is $9.38 today. Shouldn't the LET maximum be raised to accommodate it?

I am sure computer power, storage, and bandwidth may have come down in price but everything else hasn't. Isn't time to give new entrants as well as established providers a break, but new entrants mostly? Established guys can offer more for the price if they want to, but at least new entrants can make something.

PS. This may or may not go down too well. Call it my Christmas gift for providers and wannabe providers :)

Even $7 is too expensive for LET people now.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@serverian said:
    Even $7 is too expensive for LET people now.

This^

Every day there are atleast one thread about "best offer on a vps with these specs" when the offer category is filled with them or even LEB.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hardware got cheaper and you get more resources for same price. Why in the hell you want increase?

Thanked by 1eric1212
  • The increase is to help providers not users. It is up to providers do decide how much they offer for the price, but whatever it is they will receive something decent. Experience shows that when prices are forced down, it causes the smaller guys to get squeezed then the big boys can raise the prices again.

Perhaps the web business is different because there is usually a lot of idle capacity on stand by waiting to be used in peak periods.

• rchurch said: Well then is it time to adjust for inflation? Allowing for 5% inflation $7 after 6 years is $9.38 today. Shouldn't the LET maximum be raised to accommodate it?

If you throw in Moore's law, it should actually be decreasing.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@black said:
    If you throw in Moore's law, it should actually be decreasing.

Agreed. The pace of technological advancement far outweighs inflationary pressure.

Thanked by 1eric1212
  • If anything, I'd LOWER the limit to something like $5.

+1 to jbiloh and Infinity580

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited December 2013

I am a customer not a provider and, as I already have posted, think that LEB is about specs, not price.

I would love to see a LEB VPS in Mexico, Brazil, (name a country where a lot of people lives and servers are pricey). But I doubt @ $7 we are going to see any.

Paypal, staff and other costs don't follow Moore's law.

Edit: didn't knew that Vanilla is crap parsing more/less signs.

• @Darwin said:

True but Moore's law still dwarfs those costs.

I still think it's better to just keep it at $7 because more hardware resources are given to compensate. At the end of the day, it's about how good that provider is in terms of reliability.

• black said: I still think it's better to just keep it at $7 because more hardware resources are given to compensate. At the end of the day, it's about how good that provider is in terms of reliability.

^This

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@vRozenSch00n said:
    ^This

Agreed, it would be nice if Maarten had a way to rate/gauge the stability/uptime of hosts when their offers are posted. That way hosts would compete on price, specs, performance AND reliability.

Anyone have any ideas along that line?

• @Darwin said:
    I am a customer not a provider and, as I already have posted, think that LEB is about specs, not price.

I would love to see a LEB VPS in Mexico, Brazil, (name a country where a lot of people lives and servers are pricey). But I doubt @ $7 we are going to see any.

Edit: didn't knew that Vanilla is crap parsing more/less signs.

Increasing the limit to 10$ might get the community some offers from Asian & South American providers but I don't see rule being changed anytime soon

• jbiloh said: Anyone have any ideas along that line?

Transparency, good PR, good risk and reputation management, good disaster recovery.

A good example: @MarkTurner IMHO has successfully gain trust from many customers and candidate customers here.

@jbiloh said:

As I said in the pm to you and Maarten, bring the provider check in the wiki back and you will get info for both the deadpool post and stability of they providers.

Exactly why there are no reason to raise the price, no one would by the regular offers, only asking for more discount.

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    I remember the time before LEA move LET to Vanilla.

Or v1 crap before he moved it to OSQA :-)

@rchurch said:
    Well then is it time to adjust for inflation? Allowing for 5% inflation $7 after 6 years is $9.38 today. Shouldn't the LET maximum be raised to accommodate it?

Of course not. LEB market is much bigger today than years ago. It wasn't so easy to find VPS hosts for $7/m montly so many years ago.

@rchurch said:
    The increase is to help providers not users.

This is not (or atleast wasn't) primar goal of LEB who was created with goal to introduce budget vps providers to people and in meantime share knowledge what can be done with those small boxes.

It should not be LEB's concern how to make it possible for every host on the world to advertise his business here because those strict requirements made from LEB niche site as difference from all other hosting related boards.

@jbiloh said:
    Agreed, it would be nice if Maarten had a way to rate/gauge the stability/uptime of hosts when their offers are posted. That way hosts would compete on price, specs, performance AND reliability.

Sticking with all what's wrong with LEB last few years (reposting coupons from same old known hosts all the time) this shouldn't be a problem.
    What about returning to LEB roots? This would be challenge for sure.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n