Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to try Ubuntu or Debian, moving from CentOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to try Ubuntu or Debian, moving from CentOS

gappergapper Member
edited October 2023 in General

Hello,

I am a long time CentOS user, now migrated to AlmaLinux 8 because it is supported until 2029 for free. However I have another VPS where I would like to try Ubuntu or Debian and would like to ask you if any of those distros does have a LTS version supported until at least 2028?

I run a typical LEMP stack.

Thanks,
gapper

Comments

• Debian Bookworm

Thanked by 1gapper
  • tjntjn Member
    edited October 2023

Google is your friend:

At time of writing, I think only Ubuntu 22 will get you to 2027 for free.

Edit: @jlet88 was a lil faster than me ;)

Thanked by 1gapper
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2023

Ubuntu Pro has 10 year support (2032 for version 22.04)
    You can get 5x free Ubuntu Pro licenses, but only for "personal use". Similar to RHEL developer account.
    https://ubuntu.com/pro

Why would you want to have such long support tho? Is your LEMP stack tied to actual OS? Do you plan to use same hardware and not scale anything for such long time? Couldnt you use container if you are dependent on one OS version? What will happen if there will be breaking changes in your version (for example CentOS7 added systemd during its life)?

I doubt that you need that long support, unless youre making critical infra (banking, finance, medical stuff etc.)

You can totally settup unattended updates with Debian or Ubuntu and it will work without touching.

Thanked by 1gapper
  • OwnTNOwnTN Member, Patron Provider

Personally I would recommend Debian 12 (bookworm) as I have found the stability and performance to be great on my virt nodes.

If you are looking for a similar experience, for personal use tho, I would recommend a RHEL developer subscription which would have long term support, security and stability.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Debian 12 gets my vote! I feel better about the long term support Debian gets at this point.

-Ryan

• @SirFoxy said:
    Debian Bookworm

I have been using it for the last couple of months, and it's more reliable than CentOS.