Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RTMPS w/ Nginx & Stunnel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RTMPS w/ Nginx & Stunnel

2»

Comments

• Just do:

apt -f install

Nothing else after the word install. It will force apt to resolve dependent packages from your configured sources.

• If that doesn't work then it's back to checking your apt sources to make sure they are correct.

Some guides online can be outdated and cause issues with copy and pasting, particularly when it comes to modifying apt sources with sed/tee/grep/awk where slight syntax changes or patterns change.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2023

I'm by no means an expert on the (not at all funny) distro and ppa, Debian and Ubuntu zoo, but

sudo apt install nginx *(from OS normal repo)*

nginx -v

apt install libnginx-mod-rtmp -y

add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/nginx-mainline *(mixing stuff from another source/repo)*

apt update

apt install libnginx-mod-rtmp *(coming from where, OS standard or ppa?)*

(my remarks in italic, edit: oh well, in between asterisks)

To me looks like a double/mixed nginx install (attempt). Btw, note that nginx-mainline is not the stable version and highly likely not what you got from your OS.

What I would do (in parantheses because actually I'd just compile it myself) is (a) first uninstall anything nginx, (b) install not only that lib from the ppa but the whole zoo (in particular nginx).

Generally always try to get a "family" (e.g. nginx + everything related like the lib(s) you need) from one single repo. Mixing standard debian and ppas (often from Ubuntu) or vice versa is asking for trouble. I learned that the painful way with quite a few tools I use.

• even in this site u're trying to put ur political unrelevant bs. hope you will be banned here just like u banned anywhere else

• @affordablehost said:
    even in this site u're trying to put ur political unrelevant bs. hope you will be banned here just like u banned anywhere else

You should be happy he makes his mental illness obvious from the get-go so one doesn't have to invest the time if they don't want to.

• @jsg said:
    I'm by no means an expert on the (not at all funny) distro and ppa, Debian and Ubuntu zoo, but

sudo apt install nginx (from OS normal repo)

nginx -v

apt install libnginx-mod-rtmp -y

add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/nginx-mainline (mixing stuff from another source/repo)

apt update

apt install libnginx-mod-rtmp (coming from where, OS standard or ppa?)

(my remarks in italic, edit: oh well, in between asterisks)

To me looks like a double/mixed nginx install (attempt). Btw, note that nginx-mainline is not the stable version and highly likely not what you got from your OS.

What I would do (in parantheses because actually I'd just compile it myself) is (a) first uninstall anything nginx, (b) install not only that lib from the ppa but the whole zoo (in particular nginx).

Generally always try to get a "family" (e.g. nginx + everything related like the lib(s) you need) from one single repo. Mixing standard debian and ppas (often from Ubuntu) or vice versa is asking for trouble. I learned that the painful way with quite a few tools I use.

For not being familiar - everything you said seems spot on.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Don_Keedic said:
    For not being familiar - everything you said seems spot on.

Well, pain is good teacher ...
    And thanks to confirm that I seem to have learned the lesson given by that teacher.