Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be the best colo location for internal/business use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would be the best colo location for internal/business use?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited October 2023 in Help

Hi,

I’m looking for a colo location that would be cost effective, reliable and somewhere I can buy the hardware (mostly used) for cheap. Location doesn’t matter. DDoS protection is optional.

I’ll start with a few 1U servers (I have specific configuration in mind) (I’ll buy the hardware, haven’t bought them yet) and a few /24 subnets will be rented, most likely from IPXO (they have to be less than $100 per /24).

I’m not a hosting provider. I’ll use these servers for our business, not for vps hosting or something like that.

So far I found plasmarack to be the cheapest (I guess?) at $60/1U and goes as low as $45 I believe, as we add more servers.

What are your recommendations?

Comments

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

www.microtronixdc.com we can definitely beat those prices for you! And have speeds from 1G up to 100G fiber! Prices start at $55 a month per U and go down from there.

Order here.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Here is our most recent post here on LET, our power options are much better for the price and our 1G+ lines aren't shared, they are dedicated.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

I’m looking for a colo location that would be cost effective, reliable and somewhere I can buy the hardware (mostly used) for cheap. Location doesn’t matter. DDoS protection is optional.

• "one that you are physically close to" if it is for your own business.
    • If its for services provided to the clients of your business, the next consideration would be close to them.

Honestly everything that is "remote" is quite often a lot more hassle, than if you can go to the dc in person. Even for simple stuff just as adding an extra drive....

I would also recommend being realistic about your IP-addressing needs "a few /24's" is actually quite some space to fill.

• @anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

Be as close to your target audience as possible. If you have a business in your country and your target consumer is in your country, choose a datacenter in your country.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited October 2023

@SGraf said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

• "one that you are physically close to" if it is for your own business.
    • If its for services provided to the clients of your business, the next consideration would be close to them.

Honestly everything that is "remote" is quite often a lot more hassle, than if you can go to the dc in person. Even for simple stuff just as adding an extra drive....

I would also recommend being realistic about your IP-addressing needs "a few /24's" is actually quite some space to fill.

In my home country hardware is more than 2x expensive as well as the bandwidth and they throttle even after 100Mbps. Paying emergency remote-hands in a remote location every once in a while would still be cheaper than coloing in my home country.

My IP needs are realistic, actually. I'd be using 250 to 500 IPv4 addresses in a single 1U server and I need at least 1000 IPs and 4 to 6 servers.

@default said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

Be as close to your target audience as possible. If you have a business in your country and your target consumer is in your country, choose a datacenter in your country.

Location doesn't matter to us or to our customers for the type of business that we're doing. No-one will have access to these servers or the applications/services that are running inside these servers. My business is global and location-independent.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

Toss me a PM, I can help out with sourcing hardware and getting you some space aswell in either Dallas or New York.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

If Romania is a location you'd consider, I can do some pretty good deals on colo. DM me if interested.

• plasmarackplasmarack Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Late to the post. We can always offer you a better offer :smiley: just let us know and say LET sent you.

• Any other recommendations? Especially well established companies.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We colo our servers in the same building as our office.
    When I need to change things, I just open the data center and take the server out.
    No FedEx shipping or remote hands fee.

3 years ago I can lift up a 3U server but need help with a 4U server.
    This year I have trouble lifting the 3U server.
    This is not good.

• @yoursunny said:
    We colo our servers in the same building as our office.
    When I need to change things, I just open the data center and take the server out.
    No FedEx shipping or remote hands fee.

3 years ago I can lift up a 3U server but need help with a 4U server.
    This year I have trouble lifting the 3U server.
    This is not good.

:(

Lets start lifting bro, I'll spot you while you deadlift a M1000.