Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with IPV6 tunneling from Vultr to Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with IPV6 tunneling from Vultr to Hetzner

BoltFlareBoltFlare Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of configuring my own IPV6 subnet on Hetzner Cloud. Initially, I opted for Vultr as my provider and employed BGP with BIRD to advertise my subnet. Consequently, I was able to access the webserver using my designated address.

Now, I am faced with the task of establishing a tunnel to route this subnet from Vultr to Hetzner. While there are numerous tutorials available for GRE tunnels in the context of IPv4, I have been unable to locate any comprehensive resources for IPv6.

I have attempted to implement WireGuard for this purpose, but unfortunately, I have not been successful in my endeavors.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide on this matter.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• have you tried tunneling it using Wireguard first? the configuration should be similar like IPv4 but now you uses IPv6 instead

• BoltFlareBoltFlare Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2023

@ScreenReader said:
    have you tried tunneling it using Wireguard first? the configuration should be similar like IPv4 but now you uses IPv6 instead

As already discussed, i had tried using Wireguard but no success.

• Vultr seems a little too expensive for such a project. 10 dollars per terabyte adds up quickly in case of a DDoS attack or a sudden high load situation (your website or one of your clients is mentioned in the public media). Especially if you plan to use the Vultr machine as an edge router for clients. Then one bad apple (or very desirable one) can ruin your whole basket (German proverb). So especially in the business field you should create certain redundancies and scaling possibilities.