Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1U platform for 4 Mac mini M2 Pro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1U platform for 4 Mac mini M2 Pro

I know almost nothing about server hardware, but this looks impressive and thought the community would like to have a look

Full discussion: https://x.com/Merocle/status/1709948965754650764?s=20

Thanked by 1loay

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Very nice

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Very nice project, only downside, is, no KVM as MAC's do not have that, so if you need direct access, well, off to the data-center you go.

Secondly, 10 Gbps is by RJ45, in my opinion, totally useless in Datacenter. Otherwise, I respect the effort put into this project. It looks amazing, off the shelf like product.

• ValVal Member

@host_c said:
    Very nice project, only downside, is, no KVM as MAC's do not have that, so if you need direct access, well, off to the data-center you go.

Secondly, 10 Gbps is by RJ45, in my opinion, totally useless in Datacenter. Otherwise, I respect the effort put into this project. It looks amazing, off the shelf like product.

KVM is provided through PiKVM as mentioned in the post!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Sorry, I did not express my self clear, HW KVM, like BMC, Idrac, ILO, those are KVM.

I will not rely on a PI for KVM 800KM away, no offense. As I said, I see no Datacenter aplication for this, Home use, yes, sure.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Cool concept. I do respect the effort that appears to have gone into this project.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I've worked with him on some possible projects. Dude is quite awesome!
    He never fails to impress!

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

Kept an eye on some of his work over the years, those Pi blades he's been working on are fantastic.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

@host_c said:
    Sorry, I did not express my self clear, HW KVM, like BMC, Idrac, ILO, those are KVM.

I will not rely on a PI for KVM 800KM away, no offense. As I said, I see no Datacenter aplication for this, Home use, yes, sure.

The dude is quite smart with it comes to working on/with a RPi.
    I have never had stability issues with RPi's.
    Now with that being said. It is quite easy to just setup a RPi over POE for reboots.

Quite funny you saying that 10Gbps over Ethernet is quite useless.
    I guess your running 100Gbps to all your servers. EVEN though your only limiting each VM to 10Gbps?!

@HyperSpeed said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

Kept an eye on some of his work over the years, those Pi blades he's been working on are fantastic.

Yeah. I've been eyeing them since the start. Unfortunately after cost of the PCB and custom chassis. Makes it kinda hard for us to proceed with them.
    BUT something we still looking into and still in the design stage on creating a DC version if you will. Considering the newer RPi 5 has better PCI support. Will be interesting to see if they come out with a compute unit as well. Time will tell.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@host_c said:

Now with that being said. It is quite easy to just setup a RPi over POE for reboots.

I guess your running 100Gbps to all your servers. EVEN though your only limiting each VM to 10Gbps?!

He means 10g is almost everywhere provided only by fiber.

@c1vhosting said:

Ah. Well I get that it is a lot by fiber. But I do see quite a few (plus I have quite a few) server motherboards that are 10G Ethernet by default.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@c1vhosting said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@host_c said:

Depends. If this is going into a "single u" colo, then at most providers/DC's he'll get either 1G or 10G via copper.

If this is going into a full/half/quarter rack, typically you'll have the network/uplink as fiber. But in that case then its not like they will give him one fiber strand per server. So he will need to bring at least a switch (if the network/routing is managed for him) anyway. Where he has the option to transition into copper for connecting the server.

• ValVal Member

Even inside the rack, I usually much prefer SFP+ DAC over Ethernet for 10G copper.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • this is great bro don't listen to haters